PDA

View Full Version : Holster Opinions/Reccomendations

rneptune
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys, I have never bought or used a holster before. I want/need to get a strongside holster for my M9, both so I can carry when I am out shooting / camping, and for training which requires the use of a holster.

I have found many different options online, however I havent been able to find any decent recommendations or reviews.

I am looking for a holster without SERPA, Strap, or Thumb retention mechanisms.

I am currently leaning towards the Fobus Roto-Holster, I like items that are multitaskers, so the ability to adjust the cant angle is a plus for me. Also it has options for paddle or belt attachment, having never used a holster before I have nothing to base my own preference off, so opinions welcome. Does anyone have experience with this particular holster?

What holsters do you prefer and why? If you have experience with holsters particularly for the Beretta 92fs/M9 please chime in.

Thanks!

effbeeeye
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Ever Since I bought my first leather holster last month I have never looked back.

Galco makes nice ones. I have one for my CZ.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb274/soriadpreview/DSC_4163.jpg

Scroll down here for some Galco options...
http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-group-beretta-92f-fs-g1.html

I also have a leather holster for my FNP-9 by Winthrop holsters. They're handmade in house.

If you don't want to get one online, try a local gun show. Leather shops always have booths with holsters. You have a popular gun so they should have some on hand.

Don't forget to get a good belt too! Crossbreed makes great gun belts.

mej16489
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Kramer MSP Paddle

http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=18&categoryID=25

rneptune
01-31-2012, 1:44 PM
Both good suggestions, leather seems nice but I have heard it can be difficult to care for, is it really as much of a pain as it sounds? I guess from Galco I would consider the Avenger or the Combat Master. Does anyone know if the forward cant of the Combat Master makes it more difficult to draw? I like the fact that it helps to conceal the firearm a bit better than the avenger, but I'm concerned it will be more difficult to draw from.

The MSP looks real nice but at $170 is out of my comfort zone for price.

ltlooper
01-31-2012, 2:01 PM
I've been using the Fobus roto holsters in the paddle version for training and I think they work well for me considering their reasonable cost.

They have an adjustable retention system and the paddle feels as secure as a belt holster if positioned properly. Check out www.blade-tech.com for other alternatives.

Hope this helps.

joefreas
01-31-2012, 2:14 PM
Blade tech. I feel they make some of the best passive retention holsters. You can pick and choose options and if you are a competitive shooter they have holsters for different sanctions.

effbeeeye
01-31-2012, 2:24 PM
Both good suggestions, leather seems nice but I have heard it can be difficult to care for, is it really as much of a pain as it sounds? I guess from Galco I would consider the Avenger or the Combat Master. Does anyone know if the forward cant of the Combat Master makes it more difficult to draw? I like the fact that it helps to conceal the firearm a bit better than the avenger, but I'm concerned it will be more difficult to draw from.

The MSP looks real nice but at $170 is out of my comfort zone for price.

Isn't a slight forward cant, a la FBI, supposed to facilitate drawing the weapon? Both my holsters have have a very slight cant, maybe 10-15 degrees. I find it very easy to draw. Easier than the neutral/straight holster I used to have.

As for leather care. Its not like you have to massage it daily. Do you worry about leather shoes? Just some leather cleaner/conditioner once in a while should do fine.

A very expensive custom holster might require a lot of care to keep it looking good.

Operator
01-31-2012, 2:26 PM
With as common of a weapon as you have I think you should look around for some deals on a couple types of holsters. With some looking you can find a couple different options to try out. What one you should have first depends on your most important need. I think the Fobus would be a great place to start.

In my experience making and using holsters, kydex has a reassuring "click" that lets me know when the gun is where it should be. But I think kydex/ all plastic is ugly. I like the look , and the feel of leather. Leather is not hard to care for, it does wear out eventually. Especially if you are relying on "stiffened" thin leather. I wear leather OWB and Kydex and leather hybrids for concealment.

rneptune
01-31-2012, 3:34 PM
All good options guys thanks! I do like the idea of leather. I'm doing alot of research on these different holsters, as well as looking into pricing and availability. The Galco and Fobus are both available at great prices on Amazon, and are prime eligable which means I would have them in 2 days. I am considering getting a leather holster for my M9 probably Galco Combat Master, and then either a Blade Tech, Fobus, or GLOCK Combat for my GLOCK. That way I can try out both and see what type I like best. The Blade Tech stuff looks nice, I would probably get the IDPA Pro Pak. Decisions decisions...