PDA

View Full Version : FFL Rules for Military

Mack1207
01-31-2012, 7:38 AM
I'm trying to clarify rules on FFL rules for Military members trying to send to California. I am legally allowed to own say, a XDm because I'm active duty on base. How can I have it sent to me without going home to get it myself? Or can I not at all.

tenpercentfirearms
01-31-2012, 7:41 AM
I'm trying to clarify rules on FFL rules for Military members trying to send to California. I am legally allowed to own say, a XDm because I'm active duty on base. How can I have it sent to me without going home to get it myself? Or can I not at all.

If you are an out of state resident here on duty, just bring it with you. If you are moving into the state, register it with the DOJ within 60 days. If you are just visiting, keep it with you.

However, you are not exempt from CA's large capacity magazine laws. Either you lawfully owned those XDm magazines in California before 2000 or you might have illegally imported them recently.

Technically you can send yourself firearms in the mail. As long as it is your firearm and you put it in the box with your name on the to and from address and you are the one that opens it up in CA, that is legal.

slick_711
01-31-2012, 8:30 AM

Just an extra note on top of what 10% said:

You're legally allowed to bring a non-roster pistol into CA with you when you come into the state, but you being active duty does not exempt you from the roster when it comes to buying handguns while you're in CA. If you already own an XDm and want to go home and pick it up (or go home and buy one) you can do that. However, you cannot buy one in CA or order one online and have it sent into CA.

From the way I interpreted your post it seemed like you're already in the state and don't own the gun yet. If that's the case you're SOL until you take a trip home.

Librarian
01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
If he does not own it yet, 'taking a trip home' will not allow a legal solution.

BATFE says .mil are residents of where they are stationed, for gun purposes.

Paying taxes, registering vehicles, retaining a driver's license are all different from residency to buy guns.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Federal_residency_requirements

Mack1207
02-05-2012, 9:37 AM
Thanks for all the information, it helped greatly