PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrating chain.

BigBronco
01-31-2012, 7:09 AM
What are the factual issues with disintegrating chain? I would think it's only illegal once loaded in to the weapon. Is it legal if you do not own a gun that it would fire in and just have it for the heck of it. Lets say hanging on the wall.

Decoligny
01-31-2012, 8:26 AM
If you have a bunch of the chain peices, and you assemble them into a chain of more than 10 rounds, you have manufactured a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

If you had a segment of chain that was assembled and in your possession in CA prior to 1 Jan 2000, and it was more than 10 rounds in length, you can legally disassemble it, and reassemble it, and are not limited to any particular lenght as large-capacity is large-capacity, be it 11 rounds, or 250 rounds.

You cannot legally import, manufacture, sell, give, or loan, any high-capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether you own the firearm that accepts it or not. You cannot legally buy a 30 round AR magazine rebuild kit and assemble it just because you don't own an AR.

Ownership in and of itself is not illegal. However, there is a section of CA Penal Code that defines large-capacity magazines as "a nuisance" and as such they could be subject to confiscation by LEOs.

510dat
01-31-2012, 8:34 AM
Ownership in and of itself is not illegal. However, there is a section of CA Penal Code that defines large-capacity magazines as "a nuisance" and as such they could be subject to confiscation by LEOs.

I understand that this section was added recently during the "clean-up" of the CA penal code. If so, would not this be subject to litigation as an illegal edit of statutory law?

Decoligny
01-31-2012, 8:43 AM
I understand that this section was added recently during the "clean-up" of the CA penal code. If so, would not this be subject to litigation as an illegal edit of statutory law?

I am not 100% sure, but from the discussion I have seen, it appears that this section was always there, it was just well hidden in another section of the PC. The re-organization simply made it stand alone and be more recognizable.

mdimeo
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM

The cleanup was itself by statute, so no.

GMG
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I have disintegrating links and belts (pre 2000) I usually leave 11 rounds loaded. When I go shooting I reload to whatever capacity I want.:cool:

Sgt Raven
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
I have disintegrating links and belts (pre 2000) I usually leave 11 rounds loaded. When I go shooting I reload to whatever capacity I want.:cool:

I too have pre-ban linked ammo and if I was to use them, I'd make the last 12 rounds dummies. Then when the gun went click instead of bang, I'd still have 11 rounds linked. I'll be over here with my TFH on. :TFH:

Decoligny
01-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I too have pre-ban linked ammo and if I was to use them, I'd make the last 12 rounds dummies. Then when the gun went click instead of bang, I'd still have 11 rounds linked. I'll be over here with my TFH on. :TFH:

Just make sure you don't accidentally break a 100 rounder into 2 - 50s. Wouldn't want to illegally increase the number of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices that you have. :rolleyes:

bohoki
01-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Just make sure you don't accidentally break a 100 rounder into 2 - 50s. Wouldn't want to illegally increase the number of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices that you have. :rolleyes:

that has bothered me for years as if a belt breaks which half is the unlawfully manufactured LCFD

Sgt Raven
01-31-2012, 12:34 PM

I not worried about it and I don't take them out as I don't have anything that would use linked 7.62 M-60 ammo. When I moved into my house in 1984 I found 3 ammo cans full of linked blanks for a M-60. Opened them up to see what was inside, said that's cool, and closed them up again. If I ever have something that can use them, I got them and have had them since before 01/01/2000. :rolleyes:

Kharn
01-31-2012, 6:02 PM
Bikes use chain, firearms use links.

ojisan
01-31-2012, 6:15 PM
True...but are the links clips?
Or are they magazines?
:1eye:

wjc
02-01-2012, 4:27 PM
True...but are the links clips?
Or are they magazines?
:1eye:

The dreaded "Assault Links". :D

curtisfong
02-01-2012, 4:33 PM
And if you curve them, they're banana assault links?