PDA

View Full Version : Lower Receiver

anderson_aguinaldo
01-31-2012, 2:24 AM
Ok im 19 and i want to build my own AR now is it legal to have someone buy the Receiver for me and then transfer it to me as a rifle? Im very new to the legal side of guns and was wanting to know the ins and outs of buying or transfering a receiver

Thanks for your guys help

IntoForever
01-31-2012, 3:30 AM
It would probably be cheaper/easier/faster to just buy it yourself. If you want to assemble your own, you would have 10 days to decide on which parts you want. Just my $0.02

gun toting monkeyboy
01-31-2012, 8:50 AM
He can't buy it himself until he is 21. The changed the law to be more retarded. :(

Mrbroom
01-31-2012, 9:09 AM
80 percent lower is an option?

IntoForever
01-31-2012, 9:27 AM
He can't buy it himself until he is 21. The changed the law to be more retarded. :(

Thanks for the correction. Being over the age of 21, I sometimes forget about age restrictions.

Yemff
01-31-2012, 9:51 AM
You could have a parent/grandparent buy a receiver and gift it to you, no FFL or paperwork needed...yet

bigcalidave
01-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Parent / Grandparent or build an 80%. Those are your choices. Or you can buy a complete rifle. There are some real inexpensive rifles out there, and if you want to build a custom setup, buy a complete gun and sell all the parts off here in the classifieds. If you do it right, costs would be comparable.

CHS
01-31-2012, 11:03 AM

FUD.

They never changed the law. It's ALWAYS been against the law to transfer receivers/frames/non-rifles/non-shotguns/etc to someone under the age of 21.

The ATF changed the 4473 to simply make it more clear to dealers who were already violating the law thinking they could sell receivers to people at 18 years of age.

Sgt Raven
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
FUD.

They never changed the law. It's ALWAYS been against the law to transfer receivers/frames/non-rifles/non-shotguns/etc to someone under the age of 21.

The ATF changed the 4473 to simply make it more clear to dealers who were already violating the law thinking they could sell receivers to people at 18 years of age.

Yeppers, the ATF just cleaned up the verbiage, but it always was illegal, even if some didn't recognize it.

bwiese
01-31-2012, 12:50 PM

No. The law was never changed, the BATF just courteously reminded us of the provisions of GCA '68 in several FFL Newsletters in 1999-2000, in which it was indeed correctly noted that receivers are not GCA exempt long guns (rifles & shotguns) and are thus not transferrable to those under 21.