PDA

View Full Version : Can an 07 "import" a stripped lower w/o BB ?

Boogaloo
01-30-2012, 11:24 PM
As a new 07, I am a bit confused.

I read a thread which started out asking about a non BB equipped Saiga the OP wanted to order from out of state. That thread evolved into or actually referenced lower receivers as an example, so I went away even more confused.

I believe is was kemasa (sorry if I am wrong) that stated if you are an 07 and order a stripped lower from out of state, and you install a bullet button on it BEFORE you attach an upper to it, then all is good, and you are in compliance.

I have spent 2 days agonizing over posting this question because I literally read every single thread I could get my google on, and I hate to admit it, but I am still confused. I really did not want to ask a question that I am sure has been answered, yet somehow that information seems to elude me.

As an 07, am I LEGALLY allowed to purchase a non bullet button equipped lower, as long as I install the bullet button prior to completing the build, or more specifically, prior to attaching an upper receiver to it?

Or do I need the dangerous weapons (NFA) stamp and permit to do this?

Forgive me guys if this seems like a lame question. I am really trying to wrap my head around the do's and don'ts, and the seemingly endless confusion that our great state requires us to wade through.

I am new at the business end of this, and I will be damned if I allow my ego to be the reason I make a serious mistake before I get my feet off the ground here.

Thank you so much for your patience, and I hereby vow to pay it forward as I grow with you guys.

EBR Works
01-31-2012, 7:01 AM
Yes, a stripped lower is not a semi-auto center fire rifle so you only need a BB when you create a complete semi-auto center fire rifle. You need a California dangerous weapons permit if importing a complete firearm that is not compliant. There is no tax stamp required since you are not creating an NFA firearm.

kemasa
01-31-2012, 9:34 AM
Any FFL can receive a lower, striped or complete, without a bullet button on it since it is not a semi-auto or centerfire firearm. To build it up, is a different issue and what license you need depends on how you do it, which is a different discussion.

Boogaloo
01-31-2012, 2:19 PM
Thank you gentlemen, I do appreciate the guidance.

@ kemasa,
I would love to have that "different" discussion, unless it has been covered elsewhere? If not, can we discuss it here? Or should I start another thread on that specific subject?

Please feel free to elaborate, or point me in the right direction sir, I am eager to gather that info and stockpile it in my reference.

kemasa
01-31-2012, 2:36 PM
I don't know all of the details, but I have checked into the issue a slight bit. I was told that an 01 FFL can put together a firearm after the customer buys it, but not before. There are issues with an 07 having to engrave their name on it.

These discussions have been made elsewhere, but others might be able to say more.