PDA

View Full Version : Sporting use at

eldonvieira
01-30-2012, 5:09 PM
Has anyone done anything regarding the assault rifle ban from the direction of compititions for people that are new to the sport being able to get a rifle that would let them be competative and to also allow people from out of state to come in with their money for a compititions .

mes227
01-30-2012, 5:18 PM
Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate a little?

stix213
01-30-2012, 5:55 PM
Are you talking about how the CA legislature says that AR's and AK's serve no sporting purpose, so now people of our state are at a disadvantage in the sport of 3 Gun?

Librarian
01-30-2012, 6:04 PM
Has anyone done anything regarding the assault rifle ban from the direction of compititions for people that are new to the sport being able to get a rifle that would let them be competative and to also allow people from out of state to come in with their money for a compititions .

That's 'assault weapon' and CA law already allows them in state (ETA for folks out of CA who own them) for sanctioned competitions.

It does NOT allow the large-capacity magazines, however.

And, residents of CA must have had them before 1990 for 'named' or before 2000 for 'featured'; no exception for competitors.

"Assault weapon" law is a bit farther out than other things.

eldonvieira
01-30-2012, 6:09 PM
Yes I want to start shooting 3 gun and have some hi apps I had before the ban however I don't have an at and I don't like the monster man the little I have handled it

Helpful_Cub
01-30-2012, 6:30 PM
Are you talking about how the CA legislature says that AR's and AK's serve no sporting purpose, so now people of our state are at a disadvantage in the sport of 3 Gun?

What's wrong with an M1A or a featureless AR?

TempleKnight
01-30-2012, 6:39 PM
Yes I want to start shooting 3 gun and have some hi apps I had before the ban however I don't have an at and I don't like the monster man the little I have handled it

Try the Solar Tactical kydex grip. It makes it easier to convert to normal when you compete out of state. Just make sure that you are featureless before you start to drive home.

http://www.solartactical.com/AR15-AR10_c36.htm

mdimeo
01-30-2012, 6:53 PM

Essentially nobody who thinks we need an assault weapon ban thinks any competition with one would be a valid sporting endeavor.

stix213
01-30-2012, 7:02 PM
What's wrong with an M1A or a featureless AR?

I own a featureless AR. Nothing is "wrong" with it other than you aren't holding it the way the rifle was really designed to be held.

Sunday
01-30-2012, 7:19 PM
I tried the Monster Man on my friends Ar and it is butt ugly but after shooting a couple of mags it is not really bad at all . Infact if you hold the rifle balanced at the magazine with the left hand the Monster Man grip works surprisingly good. I almost would rather have a conventional style rifle.

curtisfong
01-30-2012, 8:53 PM
sporting use at?

I don't think any AntiTank weapons are for sporting purposes.

Not sure there is a tank season anywhere, or tank destruction competitions.

bwiese
01-30-2012, 9:54 PM
That's 'assault weapon' and CA law already allows them in state (ETA for folks out of CA who own them) for sanctioned competitions.

It does NOT allow the large-capacity magazines, however.

It is highly murky law and one should at best rely on it for criminal defense as opposed to "recommended daily conduct".

Basically outta-staters would have to drive straight in & out from the competetion from/to their non-California residences, no stops (I suppose gas and quick meal could be defendably OK) - but no stops for visits, shopping, taking a longer 'scenic route', etc. These competitors are at risk of AW arrest/seizure at a traffic stop and a CA DA pressing charges in spite of this 'exemption'.