PDA

View Full Version : Mosin 7.62 x 54R

eightmd
01-30-2012, 3:56 PM
I've been thinking about picking up one of the Mosins from Big 5 at around $100. Is there anything specifically to look for to make sure it has or doesn't have. It sounds like this price is about right for the rifle. Any reservations about this rifle?

This cartridge 7.62 x 54R, is it essentially a 30-06? Is it hard to find brass and components? Expensive? I reload so I would probably start reloading for it if I got one. I've seen a lot of talk about these rifles here and they sound like fun. Thanks for any info.

SKSer45
01-30-2012, 4:00 PM
I've been thinking about picking up one of the Mosins from Big 5 at around $100. Is there anything specifically to look for to make sure it has or doesn't have. It sounds like this price is about right for the rifle. Any reservations about this rifle?

This cartridge 7.62 x 54R, is it essentially a 30-06? Is it hard to find brass and components? Expensive? I reload so I would probably start reloading for it if I got one. I've seen a lot of talk about these rifles here and they sound like fun. Thanks for any info.

Check the crowning and rifling of the barrel. Most of them them are in fair shape and should make fine shooters. Also just check the bolt and inside the rifle for any thing out place or knicked up.

I believe the ones at big 5 come with bayonet, little tool kit/ sling/ oil can and pouches. If not no big deal you can get them almost anywhere.

As far as reloading that's up to you and some of other gents can answer but as surplus 7.62X54R it is dirt cheap and ammo is plentiful! :)

winnre
01-30-2012, 4:03 PM
There are websites devoted to the options of the Mosin. I went to Big5 and got a hex receiver, one of the rarer ones. if common is a 1 and unique is a 10, this is a 3. It was a bit used, but that's what is so wonderful about it. I sure wish it could talk!

Now get your C&R and COE and buy them on the spot to take home with no wait.

TheExpertish
01-30-2012, 4:08 PM
Go here. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=526624

Then send me a PM. I'll be reopening the GB tomorrow. If you can't wait then just buy your second or third one here. Never can have more than one.

Only reservations about Big 5 is when all is said and done you're spending $150 out the door. The 7.62x54R is similar to the .30-06, but there are critical differences. Ammo is plenty cheap. You can buy surplus and forgo reloading unless you really wanted to or were doing competition shooting.

Vlad 11
01-30-2012, 4:09 PM
Whats not to like about a centerfire chambered in a full strength cartridge for $100?

Surplus ammo is plentiful and cheap

REloading is as easy as any other cartridge. .311 bullets.

Ive been buying Privi ammo for 12-14 a box and reloading that , Good brass.

Surplus ammo is plentiful and cheap too

Paulie Lugnuts
01-30-2012, 4:19 PM
Our first C+R was a Mosin from Big 5. We found a Hex Tula in really nice shape. See if you can get them to let you check out their supply and pick out the best one.

furyous68
01-30-2012, 5:25 PM
I've seen ballistic data that shows the 7.62x54r is actually very similar to .308. It actually has slightly less drop @ distance.

+1 on the Privi ammo... trying to load up on that stuff so I can start reloading soon.

eagle eye
01-30-2012, 5:42 PM

They are actually $120.00 now when they go on sale +tax + dros fees, be prepared to paid $160-$170

You can learn a little more at

7.62x54r.net

Flyin Brian
01-30-2012, 6:44 PM
...or you can bypass the Russian refurbs that may or may not be decent shooters and get yourself a Finnish M39!! I just got an email from Pat at Gunsnammo.com that she is having a huge sale right now and including a sling with every rifle. Get an antique receiver and it will be shipped right to your doorstep, no FFL needed!!

I also reload the PRVI brass and it's very high quality.

Cowboy T
01-30-2012, 7:04 PM
Mosin-Nagants are fun rifles...AFTER you add the LimbSaver pad to them. :-)

Out of a 91/30--the long version of the M-N--the ballistics are about mid-way between a .308 Win and a .30-06, in some cases leaning more toward the .30-06. This is due to the barrel length, and this rifle is actually effective out to as far as 800 yards if you do your part. It is not a wimp. Velocities will, of course, be slower out of an M44 Carbine, but even that's still nothing to sneeze at.

Here are the things I look for in a Mosin-Nagant. Bear in mind that I'm not necessarily looking for "collector" features; I'm looking for a shooter.

1.) Properly crowned barrel. This also means NO COUNTERBORING. Not that counterboring is necessarily a bad thing for accuracy, but it makes it impossible to do the ".308 Test", described later.

2.) Strong, sharp, consistent rifling. It's OK if the bore's dark. What matters is that the rifling's in good shape. Shine a good, bright flashlight (I use a pocket LED version) and examine that bore for a little bit. Really take a good look at it.

3.) Do the ".308 Test". This involves taking a .308 Winchester or other .308" round (.30-06, etc., whatever's handy) and inserting it bullet-first into the Mosin-Nagant's muzzle. If it sticks out 1/8 inch, that's good. If it sticks out 1/4 inch, even better. In either case, it means you've got a good 'n' tight bore which may well shoot .308" bullets just fine (mine does, I got lucky). You want that. If it slides all the way in, try the test again with a standard 7.62x54R round. It should stick out 1/8" to 1/4", which means you've probably got a standard-spec (0.310" to 0.311") barrel. That's OK, it just means you'll need 0.311" bullets--the standard size for these rifles.

4.) Look for rust/corrosion on the rifle. If you see a lot of cosmoline, that's probably a good thing, because that stuff preserves milsurp rifles exceedingly well. The better shape it looks on the outside, the better it's probably going to be overall.

5.) I don't care if it's Tula or Ishevsk, as far as shooters go. Both factories made good rifles. Nor do I care if the receiver's hex or round--not for a shooter. What matters to me more than either of those is the date of the receiver's manufacture. If it's pre-war, that means less shortcuts got taken by the inspectors, because they and the factories had more time. That means before the 1940's. Yes, the wartime-production guns shoot just fine, and they're just as tough and durable. It's just that the pre-war ones are going to be a bit nicer with less tool marks.

Now, for ammo.

The milsurp 7.62x54R ammo shoots just great out of Mosin-Nagants, and it's good ammo, no matter what country it was made in. Just remember that it does use corrosive primers, so clean your gun immediately afterwards. Not reloadable, but at 20 cents per round, who cares??

There are those who do reload 7.62x54R, and it's expected to get even more popular. Being bolt-action firearms, Mosin-Nagants do very well with reloads, including with cast "boolits". As with any other bolt-action, you only need to neck-size the cases. Empty brass cases, typically available only from Lapua and Norma, are HELLACIOUSLY expensive, compared to .308 Win or even .30-06 brass.

The solution? Prvi Partizan. They make Boxer/brass reloadable ammo in 7.62x54R for right about the same price as their .308 Win or .30-06 (also Boxer/brass and thus reloadable). I usually see it at MidwayUSA for just under $17 per box of 20, and sometimes you can catch it on sale out there in cyberspace.

For $100, the M91/30 is a heckuva lot of rifle. I would highly recommend one to anybody who wants a good deer rifle.

DennisCA
01-30-2012, 8:16 PM

I bought my first mosin at big 5 (they were $99 not that long ago) and was hooked! BE WARNED - They are addicting! I bought a limb-saver but rarely use it, the recoil isn't that bad. Like fellow cal-gunners have previously stated, the ammo is relatively cheap. Once you get a moisn, your next step (just a suggestion) is to get a Finn. They shoot really well!
Enjoy!:oji:

Paulie Lugnuts
01-31-2012, 7:25 AM
Or you could follow it up with an M38 or M44, because muzzle blasts are cool. You could also wait for a gun show. If you buy from a private party at a gun show its cash and carry, no DROS or sals tax.

Cowboy T
01-31-2012, 9:03 AM
I bought my first mosin at big 5 (they were $99 not that long ago) and was hooked! BE WARNED - They are addicting! I bought a limb-saver but rarely use it, the recoil isn't that bad. Like fellow cal-gunners have previously stated, the ammo is relatively cheap. Once you get a moisn, your next step (just a suggestion) is to get a Finn. They shoot really well!
Enjoy!:oji:

If those Finns weren't so pricey, I'd agree, because they do shoot well. But for the money that people want for them now, I'd start looking seriously at a used Savage 110.

A good Russian can equal a Finn's precision for a *lot* less money. I know, because mine does (it's sub-MOA). You just gotta pick through 'em, that's all.

C&Rtrader
01-31-2012, 9:58 AM
+1 on the finns... M39s are amazing.

Justintoxicated
01-31-2012, 10:03 AM
There are all kinds of things to look for, condition, matching numbers, receiver type etc. A lot of the ones at Big 5 are electro penciled to match the numbers. (Force matched)