PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Rifles near school zones

kjgun
01-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Not sure if this is been discussed, but curious of rifles in school zones. Such as you get pulled over by LE near a school zone or say you break down somewhere and need to now carry your rifles home and you might have to pass by a school zone.

Technically it needs to be in a locked container. Many rifle cases are soft cases and some have a loop to lock the zipper and some rifle cases don't (i.e. those AR15 tactical cases and some hunting cases). If you're pulled over, you could politely argue that the rifle is in a locked container: both trunk (LC) and your soft rifle case with a padlock (if it's possible) (LC).

Problem is that some LE have told me they would still give you grief and or book you and let it get settled by the courts. Wrong, illegal, misinformed LE, or not, the problem would be you would be brought in, have to post a big bail, and they take your guns in the meantime (even if the case is thrown out). Not that it couldn't be resolved, but the problem you would run into trying to resolve everything. So maybe better just to have a locked hardcase to avoid LE whom would give you grief.

They have typically told me:
1. Soft cases can be easily broken and some cops give grief to people.
2. Your case has no lock so when you get home (unless you pull into a garage), you would technically not have a lock on the case and would break the law bringing your gun from the carport (i.e. live in an apartment) to your residence.

What does everyone think?

-hanko
01-30-2012, 5:40 AM
2. Your case has no lock so when you get home (unless you pull into a garage), you would technically not have a lock on the case and would break the law bringing your gun from the carport (i.e. live in an apartment) to your residence.

If you're paranoid, get a hard case with a lock.

Lock whatever case in the trunk.

:TFH:

-hanko

QQQ
01-30-2012, 7:57 AM
Not sure if this is been discussed, but curious of rifles in school zones. Such as you get pulled over by LE near a school zone or say you break down somewhere and need to now carry your rifles home and you might have to pass by a school zone.

Technically it needs to be in a locked container. Many rifle cases are soft cases and some have a loop to lock the zipper and some rifle cases don't (i.e. those AR15 tactical cases and some hunting cases). If you're pulled over, you could politely argue that the rifle is in a locked container: both trunk (LC) and your soft rifle case with a padlock (if it's possible) (LC).

Problem is that some LE have told me they would still give you grief and or book you and let it get settled by the courts. Wrong, illegal, misinformed LE, or not, the problem would be you would be brought in, have to post a big bail, and they take your guns in the meantime (even if the case is thrown out). Not that it couldn't be resolved, but the problem you would run into trying to resolve everything. So maybe better just to have a locked hardcase to avoid LE whom would give you grief.

1. Just because cops give grief to people about it doesn't mean it's illegal. And if it's in your trunk, how did they see it, anyways? Just refuse the search. It's VERY unlikely that you would be arrested. And if you're worried they're going to drum up some false charges, keep a tape recorder handy when you drive.
2. I don't know of any arrests ever of someone in California who was caught transporting a rifle case at their privately-owned place of residence straight from their car to their door and arrested for it.

paul0660
01-30-2012, 8:09 AM
some LE have told me

Really? When, and where?

kjgun
01-30-2012, 8:30 AM
Really? When, and where?

Off-duty Orange County LE.

Decoligny
01-30-2012, 8:38 AM

A rifle only needs to be in a locked container to comply with the FEDERAL Gun Free School Zone Law. It is not covered by the State GFSZ law. Local Law Enforcement are not in the habit of arresting people for violations of Federal law, they tend to focus on State Law.

If you don't live in a GFSZ you can literally park your car down the block from your house, sling your rifle over your shoulder and carry it openly to your house, and you would not be violating CA State Law.

Infiniti87
01-30-2012, 8:58 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa4204-d919-f623.jpg

I unfortunately live in a school zone which sucks if Cali ever becomes a shall issue CCW state I'm not sure how ill work that. I bought a Pelican 1750 just for the reasons the OP mentioned. I'm not sure how my neighbors feel about firearms or anything so I wanted a hard case that could easily be locked. Also the case doesnt fit in the trunk of my Infiniti so I have to put it the back seat. The keys to the case and ammo go in the trunk. I'd rather just play things completely safe. I saw a guy come into the local range carrying his rifle with a cable lock through the action a couple weeks ago. I lold

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

Decoligny
01-30-2012, 9:16 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa4204-d919-f623.jpg

I unfortunately live in a school zone which sucks if Cali ever becomes a shall issue CCW state I'm not sure how ill work that. I bought a Pelican 1750 just for the reasons the OP mentioned. I'm not sure how my neighbors feel about firearms or anything so I wanted a hard case that could easily be locked. Also the case doesnt fit in the trunk of my Infiniti so I have to put it the back seat. The keys to the case and ammo go in the trunk. I'd rather just play things completely safe. I saw a guy come into the local range carrying his rifle with a cable lock through the action a couple weeks ago. I lold

Not sure what you are saying. How you will handle what? A License to Carry Concealed (LTC) has no bearing whatsoever on the carry/transport of long guns.

As for the cable lock, well, at least nobody is going to hit him over the head, steal his rifle, slap in a magazine, and start shooting the neighborhood up.

Except for the Federal GFSZ law, he can legally carry his unloaded, unlocked rifle to/from his car. He cal lay it on the back seat, and then drive home with it.

-hanko
01-30-2012, 9:29 AM
I'd rather just play things completely safe. I saw a guy come into the local range carrying his rifle with a cable lock through the action a couple weeks ago. I lold
I usually bring mine in without cases.

-hanko

Ziggy91
01-30-2012, 9:48 AM
Honestly, this is one of those stupid things to bring up on gun ownership because in most cases we have to transport our weapons through school zones to get to any ranges. I know I have to drive through about 4 school areas just to get up to Chabot in CV or Livermore Rod & Gun Club. If you have everything packed up tight and unloaded then don't worry. Saying you can't transport weapons through a school zone isn't an option because they're everywhere.

Librarian
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I unfortunately live in a school zone which sucks if Cali ever becomes a shall issue CCW state I'm not sure how ill work that.

Not sure what you are saying. How you will handle what? A License to Carry Concealed (LTC) has no bearing whatsoever on the carry/transport of long guns.

Except for the Federal GFSZ law, he can legally carry his unloaded, unlocked rifle to/from his car. He can lay it on the back seat, and then drive home with it.

LTC is also an explicit exception to the GFSZ law, with regard to the handguns listed on that license.

kjgun, your question is a special case of 'what is a secure container?' and there really is no answer to that question. We kind of know the endpoints from 'not secure', for example a 'paper bag with a lock on it', up to your favorite Cannon/Liberty/Sturdy/what-have-you Residential Security Container as 'secure'.

Since there really is no guidance, a lot would indeed depend on the training and experience of an officer who may make contact.

rugershooter
01-30-2012, 3:33 PM

As for the cable lock, well, at least nobody is going to hit him over the head, steal his rifle, slap in a magazine, and start shooting the neighborhood up.

Except for the Federal GFSZ law, he can legally carry his unloaded, unlocked rifle to/from his car. He cal lay it on the back seat, and then drive home with it.

Yesterday I had my M1 on my dashboard on the way home just in case I saw some coyotes to shoot. A sheriff's deputy passed by and noticed the rifle. Didn't give me a second look, just kept going.

oldsmoboat
01-30-2012, 3:59 PM
[IMG]... I saw a guy come into the local range carrying his rifle with a cable lock through the action a couple weeks ago. I lold

I put a lock on all my long guns when transporting just to be on the safe side. I do take it off at the truck before walking up to the range.