View Full Version : Range report on Gewehr 1888 and Carcano 8mm

01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
(Posted also at Cast Boolits forum which I frequent also)

From a collector friend of mine I recently picked up a nice old Gewehr 88 (1894 Steyr) in 'vintage' condition. The bore and action are good, the wood has been decorated by some old chickenscratch carvings (bored soldier sometime?).

I loaded it up with some 8mm cast bullet 180 grain approx with 14 grains of Trailboss with a Win LP primer. I didn't have my chrony, but I would estimate velocity around 1200-1300 fps.

Boolits (she preferred round nose, and in fact would not feed blunt nosed boolits):

Target results at 50 yards. With the fold-down battle sight the point of impact was right on point of aim.
Probably a 1.5" group approx. The group in the black at the top of the main white bullseye was three shots stacked on each other.

Overall this old girl can shoot. Recoil was light and the report was mild. Someone shooting an AR-15 next to me was commenting on the gentle report.

I think that this one has a .318 bore (as it has no 'S' mark on the receiver) and really liked cast bullets. The bore was clean with no leading.

01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I also took out a Carcano M38S 8mm. This has a very similar action to the Gew 88 above (both are variations of the Mannlicher action I believe).

The Carcano is a short little carbine with fixed sights, and it shot high and to the right. The group size was large (4" at 50 yards), all bullets shot straight with no tumbling. I used 240 grain flat nosed 8mm bullets, which fed and shot fine. I don't have any target pics unfortunately.

Carcano side view:

Receiver markings (7.92 to indicate conversion to 8mm):

Right side action:

Comparison of the Carcano (carbine) and Gew 88 (long rifle) action and barrels:

Recoil from the Carcano was noticable with the 240 grain bullets. I would definitely not want to shoot this with full power milsurp ammo.

Both of these rifles use a kind of enbloc clips to hold multiple rounds. Not having any clips right now, I fed the rounds as single shot and had no problems. The Gewehr 88 has a much smoother and lighter trigger (almost like a target trigger) and was a pleasure to shoot. The Carcano has a rougher and heavier trigger.

01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Beautiful rifles I must say. Got to love that Carcano :D So compacted

01-30-2012, 7:01 AM
Carcano is a beautiful piece. Nice targets w/ the Gewehr!
What Range did you shoot at?

01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Have you (will you?) fire the Carcano with full powered loads? I'm guessing it packs a bit of a punch on the recoil end.

01-30-2012, 1:59 PM
By the looks of your target Im thinking your ready for the 200-500 meter (prone) Military rifle silouette match at Sac Valley shooting center in two weeks (3rd Sat) if you can come up with some 400-500 meter loads.

Ill be shooting my 1886 Portuguese Kropatchek long rifle in 8mm with cast bullets.

01-30-2012, 8:42 PM
.......Ill be shooting my 1886 Portuguese Kropatchek long rifle in 8mm with cast bullets.

Masochist! :D