PDA

View Full Version : A gushing WOW on my Hall's safe

Scarecrow Repair
03-23-2007, 2:55 PM
I stopped by Hall's Safe company in Loomis (25 miles east of Sacramento) to see the alleged burnt safe they had. In fact, they have two safes, and I am more than ever convinced I bought the right one. Their older safe (I don't know the year) was made without any kind of door seal, just very finely crafted steel on steel, and the carpet inside is light brown, like light toast, but that's all the interior damage. The mechanical dial on the outside had fallen off, either melted itself or just the attachments.

The second safe was made later with a ribbon of door seal, and the carpet was untouched except one corner. That safe was made with brass gap fillers in the corner, and it had melted at 1500F; the firemen told him the fire had certainly reached 1800F. The carpet in the corner was again light brown, and there was no other damage. They had pictures of the house, and the only thing the family salvaged was the contents of the safe.

Newer safes no longer use brass gap filler; they are welded into a continuous solid 1/4 or 3/8 steel plate.

Which brings up something interesting, their guarantee. If one of their safes goes thru a fire, they build you a new one at no cost, regardless of whether it protected the contents or not. I suppose there probably is some limit on damage, so holding a match to one and singing the paint probably doesn't count :-) Some safes need drilling to open, but even the ones that don't are no longer trustworthy due to the intense heat.

I recommend the "tour" to anyone in the area. It's pretty impressive, and the guarantee just knocks me out.

Sydwaiz
03-23-2007, 6:21 PM
My next safe will hopefully be one of theirs. Probably sooner than later with the way things are going.

zippy
03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Nice products
http://hallsafe.com/index.htm

Scarecrow Repair
03-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Nice products
http://hallsafe.com/index.htm

I especially love the feel of the door moving on its hinges and locking and unlocking, so massive and heavy but still smooth as silk. Sometimes I make up excuses to go down in the basement and check something inside, just to feel the door open and close. And rather than check it right there with the door open, I always close the safe, go back upstairs, check whatever it was, and then go back down again. I rationalize it by worrying that if the door were open longer than necessary, some fly or mouse might get inside. Never mind there haven't been any in the basement for a while...

Blue
03-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Liberty will also replace your safe if damaged in a fire. Or if someone tried to break in. The Liberty dealer down here in San Jose says that he does 4-6 replacement safes a year due to those two reasons.

Scarecrow Repair
03-24-2007, 6:12 PM
Liberty will also replace your safe if damaged in a fire. Or if someone tried to break in. The Liberty dealer down here in San Jose says that he does 4-6 replacement safes a year due to those two reasons.

That's a pretty good deal. I wonder how many other safe companies do that? It seems such a strange guarantee: we will replace your XXX if it works. Wouldn't that be an interesting car guarantee: we will replace your car if you have a crash.

Hunter
03-24-2007, 8:08 PM
That's a pretty good deal. I wonder how many other safe companies do that? It seems such a strange guarantee: we will replace your XXX if it works. Wouldn't that be an interesting car guarantee: we will replace your car if you have a crash.

Most major safes companies provide this guarantee. Ft. Knox does, just like Liberty and others. Heck Ft. Knox (and I sure others also) will even repaint your safe if it is scratched from someone trying to break into it. Pretty common guarantee in the mid to upper end safe business.

The SoCal Gunner
03-25-2007, 5:03 AM
Even Sentry will replace a firesafe after fire damage.