PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Type 53 from SOG update... with pics and a "restoration" question.

C&Rtrader
01-29-2012, 2:13 PM
As promised here are some pics from the type 53s ordered from SOG.

One was a handpick, one was not.

The darker one was the handpick (HP). Trigger on it is awesome (very), the stock is solid other than the discoloration mentioned below.

The lighter one was the "next one in the box" (NIB)... and it looks like crap.

Few questions:

On the darker handpick.. there is an odd discoloration in the stock. Anyone have any tips on how to clean it? or is it better left alone.

On the lighter, "next in box" one. It looks like crap. I am really tempted to sand it down and re stain it but the purist in me is screaming "no." I included a few close ups of the damage to the stock. Without starting argument.. opinions welcome.

Final thoughts on the 53s from SOG... get the handpick and keep expectations low.

Blitzburgh
01-29-2012, 3:19 PM
Wow! I am SO very glad you posted this!

I was thinking about picking up a couple of these and now I know what to expect and to go for the Hand Pick. I would have done a little screaming and yelling if I'd opened up the box and saw THAT!

Thanks!!

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 3:21 PM
As promised here are some pics from the type 53s ordered from SOG.

One was a handpick, one was not.

The darker one was the handpick (HP). Trigger on it is awesome (very), the stock is solid other than the discoloration mentioned below.

The lighter one was the "next one in the box" (NIB)... and it looks like crap.

Few questions:

On the darker handpick.. there is an odd discoloration in the stock. Anyone have any tips on how to clean it? or is it better left alone.

On the lighter, "next in box" one. It looks like crap. I am really tempted to sand it down and re stain it but the purist in me is screaming "no." I included a few close ups of the damage to the stock. Without starting argument.. opinions welcome.

Final thoughts on the 53s from SOG... get the handpick and keep expectations low.

Wow you got those fast! Those are so ugly they are pretty! I hope they are good shooters for ya.

hifiguns
01-29-2012, 3:43 PM
They both look like a worn shellac finish. On the lighter one, I would definitely add some more fresh shellac since it has mostly flaked off. On the darker one, fresh shellac would probably even out the finish, but may affect its collector value. You can test the finish with denatured alcohol or Everclear. If it gets tacky and dissolves with alcohol, it's shellac. If not, then it's some type of varnish.

yellowsled
01-29-2012, 3:50 PM
Im sorry, but those look horrible. I wouldnt touch those for $100 at a gun show.

GDM
01-29-2012, 4:56 PM
Uh, for 100 bucks I would pick them up to clean up the stocks and such. That is the fun part of collecting for me :)

pkc168
01-29-2012, 5:23 PM
I just receive mine from SOG, no handpick, and it is pretty bad... The stock color is dark just like your handpick with the discoloration. The bayonet is loose and wobble little. I am going to remove it. Some rust on the markings as well, makes a good restoration project. The only positive is that the trigger is very very smooth, bore is clean as well.

I am thinking using easy off on the stock and sand it down.

C&Rtrader
01-29-2012, 6:15 PM
@ Blitz.. you are welcome.

They are pretty ugly. Not exactly what I was hoping for... but that how the game goes. Now that I have them I need to figure out what to do with them.

Blitzburgh
01-29-2012, 6:43 PM
... but that how the game goes.

Boy don't I know it! I've had my share of 'surprises' when I opened up a box. I think with me it's mostly I get my hopes up... the longer it takes to get here... the more I get delusional and hope that some super-rare gem ends up in my hands by accident.

But I sure do appreciate you posting those pics - that will definately help me decide what to get, or not to get. And not think that I'm getting some pristine never fired gem.

Thanks! :)

7.62x54R
01-30-2012, 6:27 PM
Its not easy to find nice T53

zhyla
01-30-2012, 8:30 PM
How do the bores look?

Maybe they should be pricing these a little lower?

laika
01-30-2012, 9:04 PM
I'd sure like one; I'm holding back. Has anyone grabbed one from Classic Arms?

I guess owning 2 m44's and an m38 I really don't need one, but I've always wanted a Chinese - Probably the last chance to get it so hey, if they are good shooters but not the prettiest, you still got a nice deal.

Aaron707
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I ordered one from classic a couple of weeks ago. It was backordered or something anyways , it shipped and should be here this week. Ill let you know what it looks like or maybe throw up a picture. I expect the worst and already have plans to strip the stock and refinish it.

C&Rtrader
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
The bores aren't bad. They should be decent to shoot. The trigger on the darker one is amazing.... better than any russian I have ever handled.

leaning towards stripping, sanding, and staining the lighter one....

Rekrab
01-31-2012, 12:48 PM
I've seen ONE T-53 with good wood. Your lighter stock looks pretty amazing compared to most.

When I cleaned up my T-53 I found a lot of dirt in the stock. Thinking back, it might have been rot. These stocks are soft and get screwed up easily.

Enjoy your T-53!

C&Rtrader
01-31-2012, 12:53 PM
I've seen ONE T-53 with good wood. Your lighter stock looks pretty amazing compared to most.

When I cleaned up my T-53 I found a lot of dirt in the stock. Thinking back, it might have been rot. These stocks are soft and get screwed up easily.

Enjoy your T-53!

what did you use to clean it? I would like to get some of the grime out without altering the wood. thanks!

john.t.singh
01-31-2012, 1:13 PM
tagged as I also have one coming, most likely will be doing the same

Mr.Sandman
01-31-2012, 1:18 PM
what did you use to clean it? I would like to get some of the grime out without altering the wood. thanks!

I would use Kramers Best Antique Improver or clarifier for the wood:
http://www.ima-usa.com/militaria/restoration-materials/kramer-s-best-antique-improver-8-oz.html
http://www.ima-usa.com/militaria/restoration-materials/kramer-s-best-blemish-clarifier-8-oz.html

Or you can get the whole restoration kit if you want that includes it:
http://www.ima-usa.com/militaria/restoration-materials/antique-gun-restoration-cleaning-kit.html

C&Rtrader
01-31-2012, 1:28 PM
Never heard of Kramers.. but I like the before and after pictures... anyone else use it with success?

Mr.Sandman
01-31-2012, 1:38 PM
Never heard of Kramers.. but I like the before and after pictures... anyone else use it with success?

I have used it, its not going to make the stock look new by any means but it cleans it up without damage. Some people apply it multiple times for weeks on end until they are satisfied. There still may be blemishes and/or stains left. Your results may vary.

At least you know in the end you wont hurt the stock, only your pride and free time will be gone :p

thepunisher
01-31-2012, 7:06 PM
The metal looks pretty decent. Its just the stocks that need some attention?

Syntax Error
01-31-2012, 9:49 PM
Is the trigger so amazing that the striker could be released if the stock were bumped? :eek:

Rekrab
02-01-2012, 4:35 AM

I simply wiped it down with a rag until it was coming back clean. It still looks really, really dark. I have pictures in the C&R gallery if you look for posts by me.

I think I might have used Pledge as well.

C&Rtrader
02-01-2012, 7:09 AM
@Punisher- Yes this is correct. metal is solid, wood stinks
@Syntax- No not that amazing. just a long but surprisingly light pull with a crisp break
@Rekrab-Will check that out.. thanks!

Rekrab
02-01-2012, 2:04 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=430260

McNally M.
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't know what the Chinese put their T53s through. If the Russians had the decency to restore all their Mosin after nearly losing a friggen world war than I think the Chinese could've done a little better honestly.

How much are these T53s going for on SOG?

john.t.singh
02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
hey C&rtrader, how long did it take SOG to send you your rifle after you ordered?

I put my order in on the same rifle on the 31'st and it's still showing up as pending...

C&Rtrader
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know what the Chinese put their T53s through. If the Russians had the decency to restore all their Mosin after nearly losing a friggen world war than I think the Chinese could've done a little better honestly.

How much are these T53s going for on SOG?

though these rifles are chinese, they are not from China. Remember that pesky importation ban. These had to have come form some other country that had them.

C&Rtrader
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
hey C&rtrader, how long did it take SOG to send you your rifle after you ordered?

I put my order in on the same rifle on the 31'st and it's still showing up as pending...

I placed my order they day the email went out. They were on my doorstep within 10 days. It was a pretty quick turn around.

john.t.singh
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
yah I think they messed up. I emailed them back a day later and they started the process. Didn't realize they charge a 3% fee.

C&Rtrader, did your rifle have the chinese markings on the receiver? I just saw the email from AIM and they just got a batch of these in.

Aaron707
02-03-2012, 8:47 PM
The Type 53 I ordered from Classic Arms arrived today. It was delayed with UPS due to "Train derailment". It has the Chinese markings and 1955.2 for the date. All numbers appear to match. The metal finish is only good, not great, bluing still looks pretty good in most places. Lots of grease to clean out (Classic stated they were clean of cosmoline in the add). The stock is well worn with lots of gouges that didn't show up in the pictures that well. I will do a little restoration on it next week to see if I can get it looking better. I'm sure it will be fun to shoot, and overall I am happy with the purchase.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/aaron67/SANY0357.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/aaron67/SANY0359.jpg

thepunisher
02-03-2012, 9:11 PM
wonder where all these rifles popped up from??

hk91666
02-03-2012, 9:14 PM
wonder where all these rifles popped up from??

Word is Albania I called SOG who pointed me toward Century they stated eastern bloc country and Albania was mentioned.

C&Rtrader
02-04-2012, 12:03 AM
yah I think they messed up. I emailed them back a day later and they started the process. Didn't realize they charge a 3% fee.

C&Rtrader, did your rifle have the chinese markings on the receiver? I just saw the email from AIM and they just got a batch of these in.

Yes, they both had chinese characters and the number 26... these are the earlier models.

mosinnagantm9130
02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
I don't know what the Chinese put their T53s through.

Vietnam.

novalondon
02-05-2012, 1:16 AM
The darker one --Use Murphys oil soap and a green scratch pad to lightly scrub away the ugly,,key word,,lightly.
The lighter one: use oven cleaner and once it is completely down to the wood and clean oil it with a equal part mixture of boiled linseed oil (BLO) turpentine and bees wax all mixed in a old pan over low heat. Once it is mixed, let it cool and then use your fingertips to apply it, palms to rub it in and then a silicone cloth to buff up the shine after wiping it down after the rubbing in of the mix.
I use this hand mix of the 3 on all my bare wood stocks. Water prrofs them, keeps hand prints off of them and gives them a beautiful soft sheen like a new battle rifle should look, not polished glossy or lacquered.
Use the mix on the darker one too!!!

john.t.singh
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
sweet mine is shipping. AIM had an ad out for them recently, but within a few days they all got snatched up.

C&Rtrader
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
The darker one --Use Murphys oil soap and a green scratch pad to lightly scrub away the ugly,,key word,,lightly.
The lighter one: use oven cleaner and once it is completely down to the wood and clean oil it with a equal part mixture of boiled linseed oil (BLO) turpentine and bees wax all mixed in a old pan over low heat. Once it is mixed, let it cool and then use your fingertips to apply it, palms to rub it in and then a silicone cloth to buff up the shine after wiping it down after the rubbing in of the mix.
I use this hand mix of the 3 on all my bare wood stocks. Water prrofs them, keeps hand prints off of them and gives them a beautiful soft sheen like a new battle rifle should look, not polished glossy or lacquered.
Use the mix on the darker one too!!!

interesting technique. Do you have any before and after photos?