PDA

View Full Version : These laws seem backwards????

guitartguy
03-23-2007, 1:59 PM
Am I alone in wondering why murder receives a shorter term and the "gun charge" receives an extra 10 years?

Ex-boyfriend convicted of killing girlfriend's new flame

STOCKTON, Calif. The estranged boyfriend of a Stockton woman who struck up a romance with a Massachusetts man on a telephone chat line was found guilty of second-degree murder for killing the new boyfriend when he moved to California.

Thong Hach was convicted of the murder charge and of firing into an occupied vehicle by a jury in San Joaquin County Superior Court yesterday.

Prosecutors said he became angered when he found out Joshua Chase, of Lowell, Massachusetts, had moved to California to be with his one-time girlfriend in 2005.

Prosecutors say Hach shot Chase in the head while the two sat in a car at a park.

Hach faces 15 years to life in prison for the second-degree murder conviction and 25 years to life for the gun charge when he is sentenced next month.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=6271461
:confused:

Glasshat
03-23-2007, 2:09 PM
Because guns are more dangerous than murderers?

triggerhappy
03-23-2007, 2:26 PM
Never bring sanity to the asylum and expect to sell it. Gun laws are another such area :)

tgriffin
03-23-2007, 2:35 PM
my guess is that the gun charge stems from either a previous weapons charge or felony, so felon in possession of firearm, in conjunction with an enhancement for use of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

rips31
03-23-2007, 2:59 PM
whoa...the ex 'struck up a romance' w/the new guy? wonder if the chick new about it.

FreedomIsNotFree
03-23-2007, 3:10 PM
I would imagine the gun charge, as described, is incomplete. It probably has something to do with committing a felony with a a firearm in your possession..something like that.

I have no problem with that...we dont want felons anywhere near guns...they make us all look bad.

DedEye
03-23-2007, 3:39 PM
Sounds like the gun charge may be "25 to life" as a result of 3 Strikes.

Res
03-23-2007, 3:48 PM
Telephone chat line??? wtf, they still have those :confused:

Lame