PDA

View Full Version : SKS Trigger Assembly Removal

McNally M.
01-29-2012, 9:35 AM
Hey guys, I recently acquired a bubbaed Yugo M59 that I'm trying to put back into it original configuration (or at least close to it being that the bayonet and bayonet lug have be removed.)

But for the life of me I cannot removed the trigger assemble. I've used as much elbow grease as possible to slide the rear notch that sits behind the trigger guard but the assembly does not want to pop out. At first I tried a wooden dowel rod, seeing as that got me nowhere I went on to a phillip's head screwdriver but I only end up scratching the metal a tad when it slipped.

Are there any other effective techniques to removing the tripper guard?

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 9:38 AM
Well best was it make sure its on safe (easy mistake), second do you have any block of wood laying around? It helps. Take a punch and hammer and hit on the spot. I wouldn't recommend a screw driver any more because that can do some damage.

@1;04 he pops it out. Did your SKS come with a cleaning kit? if so there is a little punch that works perfect on it.
WIMY_V26c18

Noonanda
01-29-2012, 9:39 AM
make sure the weapon is ON safe when you go to push in the notch, It blocks it. I went through the same thing my first time

JAGGUY
01-29-2012, 10:07 AM
make sure the weapon is not on safe when you go to push in the notch, It blocks it. I went through the same thing my first time

Odd, all my SKS' require the safety to be forward (on) to allow removal of the trigger group...

Noonanda
01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Went and checked myself, should have said "on safe". Its been a while since my SKS's have come out of the safe, I did remember that it was a safety thing and thought it was off instead of on. Apologize for that, went and fixed the post as well

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Odd, all my SKS' require the safety to be forward (on) to allow removal of the trigger group...

hmmm that is ODD..i just checked my kids and they all needed to be on safe. Do any mods to them? Maybe it is just one of those freak things I dunno.

McNally M.
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Trouble is, my M59 came in one of those tapco stocks with the pistol grip. And that makes it really hard to get a punch in there because there is no room between the trigger guard and grip.

SKSer45
01-30-2012, 8:12 AM
ooo that! I know exactly what your talking about. Any way you can get a socket wrench and un screw the pistol grip? That makes life much easier. If Not use the cleaning rod if you had one. That actually worked for me believe it or not. Yeah that is tough with the pistol grip on it.

Also use a little block of wood to put the rifle on or a solid surface. Makes things a little easier.