PDA

View Full Version : No PPT's at the gun show??

xxINKxx
01-29-2012, 6:45 AM
By law aren't FFL's required to do PPT's durring hours of operation as long as your a current licensed FFL, reguardless if its a gun show? (Saturday 1-28) I understand it isn't a money maker. But isn't doing them the trade off of having an FFL? Heck it only takes a couple mins and not even busy.

I'm a really good customer, I spend thousands every couple months and constantly recommend you guys here on calguns.

Yesterday at the gun show 1 guy flat out said were not doing PPT/find someone else and went about his business. There was plenty of workers not doing a damn thing since it wasn't crowded yet. The guy buying my rifle was a customer as well and lived down the street so that's why we chose you guys since its convienient and we are already customers.

Were private vendors and sell C&R WWII stuff but every few shows have a newer gun that needs to be drosed. No other FFL at the gun show has given me trouble or at least blew me off like I was.

Confused..?

shark92651
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Our shop is open 7 days a week, even when we are at the gun show, and is less than 5 miles from the OC Fairgrounds so why not just go there and do it? I don't think there is anything in the law that says we have to take a PPT at a gun show, is there? Sorry if you felt like they were short with you but there was no manager in our booth on Sunday and the guys were told not to do PPT's at the show. If a manager was there they probably could have made a call on it if we were not too busy, but in general we just don't do PPT at the show because it can be time consuming, it introduces a chance of error since we will have to transfer a non-inventory gun back to the shop, make sure to log it into the disposition, etc...

bohoki
01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
i dont think they have to do a ppt when they are not in their usual place of business

socalbowhunter
01-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Who the heck brings a ppt to the gun show?

Doppelgänger
01-31-2012, 2:25 AM
By law aren't FFL's required to do PPT's durring hours of operation as long as your a current licensed FFL, reguardless if its a gun show?
You made a request verbally, therefore they broke no law.

§ 4033. Criteria for Processing Section 12082 Transactions.

(a) All dealers shall process a section 12082 transaction upon the request of the transferor. All such requests shall:
(1) Be in writing and contain all of the terms of the transaction, and
(2) Be signed by the transferor and the transferee.

xxINKxx
01-31-2012, 5:46 PM
Huh?? ^ Are you saying I gotta walk in like a bank robber with my requests written on paper saying "I want PPT please!"

Our shop is open 7 days a week, even when we are at the gun show, and is less than 5 miles from the OC Fairgrounds so why not just go there and do it? I don't think there is anything in the law that says we have to take a PPT at a gun show, is there? Sorry if you felt like they were short with you but there was no manager in our booth on Sunday and the guys were told not to do PPT's at the show. If a manager was there they probably could have made a call on it if we were not too busy, but in general we just don't do PPT at the show because it can be time consuming, it introduces a chance of error since we will have to transfer a non-inventory gun back to the shop, make sure to log it into the disposition, etc...

It was Saturday not Sunday. I was just asking if there was a CA law that gun shops have to accept PPT's durring hours of operation. All my searching I found info posted by lots of people and even moderators here saying FFLs are required to do them since there is a law of some sort.

90% of the firearms sold at the show are late model rifles that aren't c&r eligible. Also anyone is aloud to check in a gun befor entering the gun show and able to carry it around to try to sell. If it sells you still need to dros it. Most people wanna handle it right their since the 2 involved usually don't live near each other so it's easier to pay and get it done rather then wasting a trip another day.

SoulStealer
02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Huh?? ^ Are you saying I gotta walk in like a bank robber with my requests written on paper saying "I want PPT please!"

Somebody needs a hug

ArkinDomino
02-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Hug time indeed.

NiMiK
02-06-2012, 9:56 AM
I give free hugs! One size fits all too :)

Jeepers
02-06-2012, 10:21 AM

first off i will say i have not been to a cali gun show in over 10 years due to they are worthless anymore here...

but with that said i used to see LOTS of ppl walking around with gun that had for sale signs on them, and in these days it would be a great place to find or sell a "off roster" so PPT happen in gun shows all the time, a gunshow is not just for the sales tables of jerky and airsoft crap some folks even sell guns there .....

socalbowhunter
02-06-2012, 6:44 PM
first off i will say i have not been to a cali gun show in over 10 years due to they are worthless anymore here...

but with that said i used to see LOTS of ppl walking around with gun that had for sale signs on them, and in these days it would be a great place to find or sell a "off roster" so PPT happen in gun shows all the time, a gunshow is not just for the sales tables of jerky and airsoft crap some folks even sell guns there .....

Yes, and there are tables set up that just do PPT's so that no one has to bother the dealers there. There were at least 5 tables set up throughout the gun show that were just dealing with PPT's. Why didn't the OP go to one of those?

ke6guj
02-06-2012, 8:00 PM
Yes, and there are tables set up that just do PPT's so that no one has to bother the dealers there. There were at least 5 tables set up throughout the gun show that were just dealing with PPT's. Why didn't the OP go to one of those?

maybe the OP is a regular customer of riflegear so he knew how easy it would be to pick up from them when the 10-days was up.

If I needed to do a PPT at a gun show and I had my option of 3-5 random guys that I have never heard of offering PPT services, or one of my local FFLs was there, one that I go to regularly (and know their location and hours), I'd be more interested in using them for my PPT needs.

socalbowhunter
02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=ke6guj;7988724]maybe the OP is a regular customer of riflegear so he knew how easy it would be to pick up from them when the 10-days was up.

Then why not go to their store that is 2 miles away, instead of screwing them over at a gun show? Taking time away from all of the customers at the show and tying up a salesman to do a PPT. That's dumb when Crossroads specifically contracts local companies to do PPT's.

And to clear things up, an FFL is only required to do PPT's at their primary place of business. Gun shows do not count. It would be like going to the Sportsfair and trying to get Turners to do a PPT there since they are there and have guns.

luckystrike
02-07-2012, 1:06 PM
no ffl holder is required to perform a ppt outside of their buisness. the fact that it was at the gunshow is irrelevant. it would be the same as recognizing someone that has an ffl at the grocery store and demanding that he do a ppt on the spot. just get over it and drive the 5-10miles down the road.

Gryff
02-07-2012, 1:13 PM
Not an FFL, and I hate the PPT fee games that many FFLs play....

...but...

...isn't in insanely tacky to expect them to do a PPT at a gun show? Limited hour venue that they paid extra to be at, and you want to make them take the time necessary to do a PPT? For which they get to pocket a whopping $10?

My suggestion is for a person not to be a complete 'tard and go do it at their storefront. Let them use gunshow time to sell guns.

CSACANNONEER
02-07-2012, 2:42 PM
[QUOTE=ke6guj;7988724]maybe the OP is a regular customer of riflegear so he knew how easy it would be to pick up from them when the 10-days was up.

Then why not go to their store that is 2 miles away, instead of screwing them over at a gun show? Taking time away from all of the customers at the show and tying up a salesman to do a PPT. That's dumb when Crossroads specifically contracts local companies to do PPT's.

And to clear things up, an FFL is only required to do PPT's at their primary place of business. Gun shows do not count. It would be like going to the Sportsfair and trying to get Turners to do a PPT there since they are there and have guns.

Because both regular customers of Riflegear were at the show and thought it would be easy for the employees, who were not doing anything, to do the PPT. Personally, if I spent a lot at a shop and was treated like that at a gun show, I would reconsider my shopping habits. However, shark did explain that their was no employee in there who was authorized to think for themselves so, it wasn't really the employees fault for following orders. It wasn't Riflegear's fault for not having a stupidvisor there. It was just a matter of circumstances. As far as tying up an employee, what difference does venue make? Good customer service is good customer service.

Doppelgänger
02-07-2012, 3:38 PM
Because both regular customers of Riflegear were at the show and thought it would be easy for the employees, who were not doing anything, to do the PPT. Personally, if I spent a lot at a shop and was treated like that at a gun show, I would reconsider my shopping habits. However, shark did explain that their was no employee in there who was authorized to think for themselves so, it wasn't really the employees fault for following orders. It wasn't Riflegear's fault for not having a stupidvisor there. It was just a matter of circumstances. As far as tying up an employee, what difference does venue make? Good customer service is good customer service.

So if you were an FFL at the gun show, you would take the liability of transporting a customer's gun that hasn't been logged into your books yet? What happens if it gets lost or stolen at the show before they are able to log it (since they have no secure place to put it there)?
Seems like the FFL would be in big trouble with the ATF...

CSACANNONEER
02-07-2012, 3:44 PM
So if you were an FFL at the gun show, you would take the liability of transporting a customer's gun that hasn't been logged into your books yet? What happens if it gets lost or stolen before they are able to log it?
Seems like the FFL would be in big trouble with the ATF...

If? Well, I have worked for a FFL who used to do +100 transfers per show. So, I've helped do exactly what you are asking about many times over. In the case above, it appears that it was two good and regular customers. Does "customer sevice" mean anything? It should. But, again, in this situation, I think it was just a matter of circumstance.

ke6guj
02-07-2012, 3:47 PM
no ffl holder is required to perform a ppt outside of their buisness. the fact that it was at the gunshow is irrelevant. it would be the same as recognizing someone that has an ffl at the grocery store and demanding that he do a ppt on the spot. just get over it and drive the 5-10miles down the road.pretty sure that if he is set up at the gunshow, it is considered to be his "place of business", so why wouldn't the PPT regs apply there as well?

CSACANNONEER
02-07-2012, 3:53 PM
pretty sure that if he is set up at the gunshow, it is considered to be his "place of business", so why wouldn't the PPT regs apply there as well?

But, but, but, if, as the OP claims, none of the employees are actually doing any bussiness..............