PDA

View Full Version : C&R at gunshows

flak88mm
01-29-2012, 1:16 AM
I've never been to a gunshot (shame on me) but would like to ask people what their experiences are on how often these firearms show up:

M1 carbine WWII
Svt40
M44 Russian mosin
Russian ska

If these show up what are the prices compared to gun broker? And also do I have to do the dros or doj stuff on the spot when I buy these c&r items?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2012, 1:47 AM
...And also do I have to do the dros or doj stuff on the spot when I buy these c&r items?

Do you have a C&R FFL? Do you have a COE?

rojocorsa
01-29-2012, 1:51 AM
Buying those a gun show will most likely result in very overpriced guns.

11011500a
01-29-2012, 1:57 AM
C&Rs are common at the shows price very,if it is a dealer same as a new gun Dros &wait but you can find tables that are private party cash&carry of old long guns not handguns.

flak88mm
01-29-2012, 2:29 AM
Do you have a C&R FFL? Do you have a COE?

Only c&r

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2012, 2:37 AM
Only c&r

As a C&R FFL you can acquire any of those guns you listed while you are at an out of state gun show. You can acquire them from other FFLs or from private parties at the out of state gun show. If you know how to bargain then you can often get them for a price close to Gunbroker.

At a California gun show you can acquire any of those guns, but if you acquire them from a California licensed dealer then you will need to do the DROS. Since you don't have a COE you will also have wait 10 days if you acquire them from a California licensed dealer. Because all of the guns you mention are C&R long guns that are over 50 years of age, you acquire them from somebody who is not a California licensed dealer and skip the DROS and the 10 day wait. Prices at California gun shows will tend to be more than Gunbroker prices.

VegasND
01-29-2012, 8:18 AM
You're in the IE. Start visiting shows in AZ. Kingman has a nice little collector-type show and prices, while high, are better (often much better) than CA. Phoenix and Prescott have great shows. If you want to visit Vegas shows be sure to shop carefully.

You can have a weekend out of town and find what you want too.
I saw all of those yesterday in Vegas. The prices vary but offers are more likely to be accepted these days.
I've never been to a gunshot (shame on me) but would like to ask people what their experiences are on how often these firearms show up:

M1 carbine WWII
Svt40
M44 Russian mosin
Russian ska

If these show up what are the prices compared to gun broker? And also do I have to do the dros or doj stuff on the spot when I buy these c&r items?

flak88mm
01-29-2012, 10:31 AM
THanks for the replies. So theoretically, I can go out of state and buy a C&R gun and then take it back over to the CA border? What if I hit a border patrol check point?

TRICKSTER
01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
THanks for the replies. So theoretically, I can go out of state and buy a C&R gun and then take it back over to the CA border? What if I hit a border patrol check point?

They are looking for illegals and drugs, not legal firearms.

froman118
01-29-2012, 10:46 AM

It would be no different than any other time you were stopped in a vehicle with legally owned firearms. With C&R you own it free and clear as soon as you take possession. C&R pistols bought outside the state just have to paperwork sent into the DOJ ASAP.

brianm767
01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Fresno GS yesterday, I saw two SVT's $1100 and $1200 , M1 carbines were mostly $750 and up, only Garand I looked at was over a grand, looked about like a CMP service grade,

Rarely do I see guns at local gun shoes that are priced lower than you can get it through other means, and often they are way over priced.

I don't even go to gun shows any more in Cali with the intention of buying a gun.

I saw a guy who had a Sig Pro 2022, asking $600 bucks!

flak88mm
01-29-2012, 3:14 PM
Let's say I bought an m1 carbine with folding stock from AZ. Do I make sure that when I cross back to California that it is featureless meaning convert it to a fixed stock?

flak88mm
01-29-2012, 3:15 PM
Fresno GS yesterday, I saw two SVT's $1100 and $1200 , M1 carbines were mostly $750 and up, only Garand I looked at was over a grand, looked about like a CMP service grade,

Rarely do I see guns at local gun shoes that are priced lower than you can get it through other means, and often they are way over priced.

I don't even go to gun shows any more in Cali with the intention of buying a gun.

I saw a guy who had a Sig Pro 2022, asking $600 bucks!

Wow I saw an m1 carbine at big 5. They dropped it down to 600. It seems that gun broker is still lower for svt40s

aghauler
01-29-2012, 3:48 PM
Let's say I bought an m1 carbine with folding stock from AZ. Do I make sure that when I cross back to California that it is featureless meaning convert it to a fixed stock?

I think you just have to remove it from the folding stock, then it's legal to bring into CA. M1 Carbine wood stocks aren't too expensive and are fairly easy to find.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2012, 4:48 PM

It's perfectly legal for a California C&R FFL to go out of state and acquire C&R "assault weapons" that are illegal to own in California. You just have to make sure the firearm is in a California-legal configuration before bringing it home with you.

For an M1A1 Carbine the easiest thing to do would be to switch out the folding pistol grip stock for a standard M1 Carbine stock as aghauler suggests. You can still bring in the folding stock as long as it isn't installed on the firearm.

The more complicated option would be to install some kind of mag lock and to modify the stock so that it can no longer fold. The mag lock allows you to have evil features, but if the folding stock makes the Carbine to go below 30 inches in length then it would be an "assault weapon" because of the length issue, even with a mag lock.

mes227
01-29-2012, 5:32 PM
Buying those a gun show will most likely result in very overpriced guns.

That's not been my experience. But a buyer does need to go to a show well informed about prices (and, ideally, with a smart phone to double check prices on GunBroker). I pick up a good deal at almost every show (but I'm very well versed in the types of guns that I collect).