PDA

View Full Version : Legal advice for an under 21 group shooting trip

neverfinished
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
I am 19yrs old and will be transporting and shooting guns to a piece of public land which is legal to shoot on and camping there for the weekend. My group will be 4 in total and all will be in the range of 18-20 yrs old. A shotgun which i have legally registered and purchased will be brought on the trip. 2 pistols and at least 3 rifles will be brought with enough ammo for them all. What is necessary to transport and fire these weapons. My primary concern is shooting the pistols with noone there over 21. Both of them are from the 70s and family heirlooms which are shared between father and son. If a park ranger comes up to us do they have the right to run our guns serial and/or seize them? We did this exact same trip in October last year and we didnt see a single park ranger the entire time so any contact with them is unlikely as we are going mid-winter. I am primarily concerned that with the new 2012 laws i'll get screwed over somehow.

If this is the wrong forum please move it to the appropriate one. My mom and my cousins mom are having panic attacks and i need to make sure i'm standing on solid ground when i tell them it is completely legal.

Ron-Solo
01-28-2012, 10:29 PM
1. Make sure that all of the weapons are unloaded when transporting.

2. Make certain the area is legal to shoot.

3. It is not illegal for someone under 21 to possess a handgun.

4. Make sure you transport the handguns in a locked container or case, or in the trunk of the vehicle to avoid gun free school zones.

5. Although legal, in your case I would avoid having ammo in the same case as the gun just to avoid drama.

6. Depending on the circumstances, a law enforcement officer may or may not have sufficient cause to run the serial number of the guns. There are a lot of variables that come into play, but I don't recommend trying to argue the point in the field. That is something that can be dealt with later if necessary.

7. You do not have to consent o any searches if you don't want to, but keep in mind there are many circumstances where an officer may search without a warrant. Again, that is not something to be argued in the field. A little common courtesy goes a long way in those circumstances.

8. Make sure you are shooting safely, and legally, and have a good time.

9. Clean up after yourselves and leave it nicer than you found it.

10. Remember, booze and guns don't mix, especially when there are people under 21 around.

Last, but not least, Enjoy!

voiceofreason
01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Don't forget the safety rules.

People (stupid 18-20 year old males trying to show off to their friends) sometimes break them to "show off" to their friends in some way. Or in the act of some type of "joke". Or make assumptions.

Seriously.

In college, my father's friend brought out a rifle to show him. My father (before he joined the U.S. Army) had never held a gun before then. My father didn't feel comfortable holding it. The friend assured him that it wasn't loaded. He grabbed the muzzle, held it up to his chest and told my father to pull the trigger.

My father, not knowing what he was doing, did not feel comfortable and put the rifle down on the bed. When the friend picked it up, he noticed "There was a bullet in it." (I would guess there was a round inadvertently left in the chamber)

My father came very, very close to killing a friend and being charged with GKW because his friend was too cool and stupid to utilize common sense/understand basic gun safety.

You don't stand in front of a moving semi to test its brakes, you don't drink Drano "because you'll throw it all up anyway", and you don't point guns at people you don't intend to shoot and then ask them to pull the trigger "to show you it isn't loaded".

My father's life would have taken a dramatically different path had that moment played out differently. For starters, I wouldn't be here.

and +1 on not mixing up booze & guns at ANY age

underage drinking + guns = ???

neverfinished
01-29-2012, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the advice.

russ69
01-29-2012, 9:09 PM
Don't for get the legal limit for under 21 is 0.00.

paul0660
01-29-2012, 9:13 PM
Both of them are from the 70s and family heirlooms which are shared between father and son.

It is likely that a serial number search on these will show nothing. I think the best course in this situation is to say that they have been loaned to you by your father from the get go.

You do have a HSC, right?

neverfinished
01-30-2012, 11:30 PM
It is likely that a serial number search on these will show nothing. I think the best course in this situation is to say that they have been loaned to you by your father from the get go.

You do have a HSC, right?

If you mean Hunters safety card yes. If you mean Handgun safety Card...

stix213
01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
If you mean Hunters safety card yes. If you mean Handgun safety Card...

Supposed to have a Handgun Safety Certificate in order to be loaned handguns legally. I'm not sure if this law is actually enforced or what the enforcement entails.