PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Question

Pete1979
01-28-2012, 8:17 PM
I have 3 had mosins for years a VKT M39 which is a good shooter in spite of some pitting near the muzzle, a Romanian M44 with a perfect new bore and a 91/30 which I have never shot.
I am wondering if the 91/30 is worth messing with, I don't know that much about them. It has a very rough round receiver stamped 1942 with a hammer/sickle crest. The barrel shank has an arrow inside a triangle and has a number beginning in Zhi. All the metal finish is pretty rough but the bore has plenty of rifling. It has some serious cosmo build up in the lands which just won't come out. Is this thing a wall hanger or could it be a shooter?

ElvenSoul
01-28-2012, 8:21 PM
You will never know until you shoot it. Even then it might take finding the right ammo :)

Chaos47
01-28-2012, 8:24 PM
Defiantly a shooter, war time rifles where rougher but they are still fine shooters.
You could try mineral spirits it melts it cosmoline with ease.

Check the firing pin depth and you are good to go

Pete1979
01-28-2012, 8:33 PM
Is it safe to shoot with all that crap in the lands?

Cowboy T
01-28-2012, 8:56 PM
No rifle or other firearm is. Clean that gun. A good cleaning solvent that works very well on cosmoline is good ol' WD-40.

Pete1979
01-28-2012, 8:58 PM
WD-40? Never would have thought of that. How does it effect wood? My 1917 Enfield stock is covered in cosmoline, needs to get cleaned off.

badbobgerman
01-28-2012, 9:17 PM
sure try it it will clean it off , the mineral spirits clean it good too

johnthomas
01-28-2012, 9:32 PM
This site is your friend. Just so you know, what some people mistake for finish on a Mosin stock is really cosmoline. Any chemical, solvent or oil can ruin the finish. If you haven't taken the stock off yet, Clear the weapon, pull the trigger, pull the bolt back as you are pulling the trigger, bolt comes out. Slide the barrel rings off the front and back of the stock and barrel. Take out the two screws, one on top of the receiver and the one under the gun, at the magazine. The bolt looking thing in the side of the gun is the cross bolt, it does not need to come off. Now you can do a proper cleaning. Alcohol is cheap, good mild solvent, lots of paper towels or rags.
http://7.62x54r.net/

Chaos47
01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I would not put any solvent on the wood.
The wood finish is shellac which can be damaged from even water.
To de-cosmo the stock put it in a black trash bag with paper towels out in the sun on a hot day

chknlyps2
01-29-2012, 7:29 AM
You can also use a $2 spray can of brake clean from the auto section at wal mart if you take the action out of the stock first. Use the nozzle that is taped to the can to spray in the barrel while you run a bronze brush through or even a patch or 3 or 4. That stuff eats cold hard cosmo the fastest I have found so far. Then clean and oil as you normaly would.

sekatoa
01-29-2012, 7:37 AM
Tetra Blast spray cleaner is the best stuff I've ever used on old, built up cosmo. It's about $10 a can though,so isn't cheap. Try the brake cleaner first, or you'll spend more the guns are worth cleaning it.

A steamer works great too, and can be used on the wood too, as long you can put it somewhere to dry, and have removed all the metal.

mauser98k
01-29-2012, 7:47 AM
just use hot water down the bore to break up the dried old cosmoline. dry and oil appropriately afterward to avoid rust

Noonanda
01-29-2012, 9:15 AM
non clorinated brake cleaner for cosmo on metal only. For the wood I do either Mineral spirits or the sun baking method especially in the summertime up here in the desert when it hits 120ish

Longview
02-13-2012, 10:30 PM
just use hot water down the bore to break up the dried old cosmoline. dry and oil appropriately afterward to avoid rust

I wouldn't try to chemically clean the cosmoline out of the bore with the barrel in the stock - it leads to nothing but trouble. I have 4 Mosin Nagants and after the first one, which I spent HOURS scrubbing the cosmoline out of, I have discovered that removing the barrel/receiver, using a coat hanger to suspend it muzzle down, then slowly pouring boiling hot water down the receiver will clean out virtually all the cosmoline.

This is not to say there isn't to scrub out copper deposits in the barrel, so use someting like Sweets 7.62 with a brush pushed from the receiver end. The deposits were laid down from bolt to muzzle so starting from the bold end works best. Cleaning again after shooting it helps, the shooting knocks loose some more of the deposits.

Mosin bores are never really clean, so don't be too concerned. You can get some very tight patterns nonetheless. I bought some surplus ammo, pulled the original magnetic 147grbullet and replaced them with .311, 150gr non-magnetic bullets. The loose bores shot much better with the over-sized bullet. IMHO if the rifle can take the pressure of shooting a .203gr Winchester round, the .311 round is a safe solution.

Have fun and get a bigger gun safe - Mosins multiply like rabbits!:yes:

Flyin Brian
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't try to chemically clean the cosmoline out of the bore with the barrel in the stock - it leads to nothing but trouble. I have 4 Mosin Nagants and after the first one, which I spent HOURS scrubbing the cosmoline out of, I have discovered that removing the barrel/receiver, using a coat hanger to suspend it muzzle down, then slowly pouring boiling hot water down the receiver will clean out virtually all the cosmoline.

This is not to say there isn't to scrub out copper deposits in the barrel, so use someting like Sweets 7.62 with a brush pushed from the receiver end. The deposits were laid down from bolt to muzzle so starting from the bold end works best. Cleaning again after shooting it helps, the shooting knocks loose some more of the deposits.

Mosin bores are never really clean, so don't be too concerned. You can get some very tight patterns nonetheless. I bought some surplus ammo, pulled the original magnetic 147grbullet and replaced them with .311, 150gr non-magnetic bullets. The loose bores shot much better with the over-sized bullet. IMHO if the rifle can take the pressure of shooting a .203gr Winchester round, the .311 round is a safe solution.

Have fun and get a bigger gun safe - Mosins multiply like rabbits!:yes:

How is a .311 bullet oversized?? That's what all 7.62x54r Surplus is to begin with.

Also, Winchester brand 7.62x54r is 180gr, not 203:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/metric-calibers/full-metal-jacket/Pages/default.aspx

6mmintl
02-14-2012, 5:27 AM
Get a plastic coated or Stainless steel cleaning rod and bronze bruses, use ammonia based cleaning solvent and scrub the bore and patch until no blue color is left on the patch.

If you shoot corrosive ammo, flush with hot water and clean like above.

That is how you CLEAN a bore of a rifle, the old fashioned way.

CDFingers
02-14-2012, 5:41 AM
All the posts on this thread offer good advice.

I'd like to add some history.

'42 and some early '43 Mosins many times have rough receivers on the outside, and other rough areas because at that time, the Nazis were threatening the very factories that produced Soviet arms. This forced the factories to spend zero time on cosmetics so they could get usable rifles out before the factories might be over run.

The roughness on the outside is testament to how hard it was for the Soviets during the first years of the Great Patriotic War.

I'd shoot it after cleaning. Compared to your m39, you will find that the slightly longer distance on the 91/30 between the rear and front sights will give you very good accuracy if the barrel is good.

When you take it apart for cleaning, check out the stampings under the wood.

Then check these sites:

http://7.62x54r.net/
http://www.mosinnagant.net/

Enjoy your Mosin.

CDFingers