PDA

View Full Version : 1896 Krag & Log Book

pro-nra
01-28-2012, 5:59 PM
I'm just trying to confirm from the wealth of knowledge here on CalGuns. Is it necessary to log and 1896 Krag (antique?) into your book and would I need a C&R license if I sell it out of state?

My guess is that since this rifle was made in 1896 it is not treated as a firearm anymore by BATFE there does not require logging into the bound book or C&R license is I should sell it. Thoughts?

John Browning
01-28-2012, 6:02 PM
I'm just trying to confirm from the wealth of knowledge here on CalGuns. Is it necessary to log and 1896 Krag (antique?) into your book and would I need a C&R license if I sell it out of state?

My guess is that since this rifle was made in 1896 it is not treated as a firearm anymore by BATFE there does not require logging into the bound book or C&R license is I should sell it. Thoughts?

If it is made in 1896, do not log it. If it is a Model 1896, check to see what year it was made.

pro-nra
01-28-2012, 6:25 PM
According to the serial # it was made in 1896 same as the model 1896. So do not log it and no C&R required from out of state buyer?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2012, 6:36 PM
According to the serial # it was made in 1896 same as the model 1896. So do not log it and no C&R required from out of state buyer?

Correct. Don't log it in your bound book because it is not C&R.

You can ship it to buyers in most States, including California, without any FFL involvement.

oftenindeed
01-28-2012, 7:07 PM
Just curious but what state can you not ship to?

0321jarhead
01-28-2012, 7:22 PM

It is best to ask a dumb question then making a dumb mistake but, there is no question that is ever dumb. When one does not ask a question then that is dumb. I will say this though, the questions you asked you also answered them as well. Its good to be sure of ones self then not. Where are your books that B.A.T.F.E. gave you. If you misplaced them they will send some to you...FREE. :cool:

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2012, 8:00 PM
Just curious but what state can you not ship to?

I'm not up to speed on other States' gun laws, but everything I've seen posted about the subject suggests that New Jersey requires "antique" firearms to go through a New Jersey FFL. Many of the online black powder replica distributors list a few States that they won't ship to, but they might be acting over cautiously in the same way that Cheaper than Dirt won't ship AR pistol grips to California.

pro-nra
01-28-2012, 8:35 PM
It is best to ask a dumb question then making a dumb mistake but, there is no question that is ever dumb. When one does not ask a question then that is dumb. I will say this though, the questions you asked you also answered them as well. Its good to be sure of ones self then not. Where are your books that B.A.T.F.E. gave you. If you misplaced them they will send some to you...FREE. :cool:

Are you talking about the bound book? You got them free? Other than the stack of BATFE firearm related regulations/laws, I was not sent any log book and had to buy mine.

0321jarhead
01-29-2012, 7:25 AM
pro-nra.....Negative. I am talking about your first and second thread. Don't worry, its all good. Its best to be sure then not. I will say this as a C&R holder myself, we all need to read up on or privileges that we are granted by our law makers. Yet, on this forum (the best of all IMO) we are here to help each other and those that are new C&R holders.