PDA

View Full Version : SoCal saltwater check in!

NwG
03-23-2007, 3:48 AM
Well guys it is about that time of year again!! The local boats are starting there over-nights full season runs.. The White Sea Bass are starting to bite and the yellow never really left!! If this year is anything like last year we are in for one hell of a time!!!

I will be heading out on the Freedom out of 22ed street tonight for my first over-night trip of the season.. No hot bite yet but some yellow and WSB action on the islands.. I just really need to get out on the water!! For those of you who have never fished the Freedom it is one hell of a boat!! Captian Tommy Lee really knows the waters and if there is fish he will do everything to put you on them! I fished with him many times last year and he never let me down.. Hell, one day he put 73 yellows on the boat! 60 of them were over 25 pounds!! We ended up with over 2,000 pounds of yellow for the day plus 5 WSB over 40lbs!!

I also like the boat Liberty out of 55 in Long Beach.. Anthony is a young captian but he works hard to put fish on the boat!

Anyway.. Any SoCal guys who want to get togeather for some fishing here is the place to check in!! For those who have never been on our local boats feel free to ask questions.. I would be more than happy to go fish with you... Got a bunch of extra gear to go around too..

Got to go.. A few new Avet's need some spooling!!!

Fjold
03-23-2007, 7:20 AM
I need to book a 5 or 8 day trip this summer, I haven't done it in a year or so and Mom needs some tuna.

WokMaster1
03-23-2007, 8:53 AM
yellow what? yellowfin tuna or yellow tail (kampachi?) curious mind wants to know....:D

NwG
03-23-2007, 9:17 AM
Yellowtail in this case.. The Yellowfin never really showed up last year :( The Yellowfin usually show up in early to mid summer and are within range of the local boats. While we had mahi-mahi all the way up to Catalina last year the Yellowfin never made it.... Do you think the 12 super sainers with 100 ton a pull capacity had anything to do with it? Ya....

It's ok though.. With the amount of Yellowtail we got last year it more than made up for it!! IMO Yellowtail is pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the sea.. Fun to watch a 30 pound fish reduce a growen man to a worthless pile of Jell-O in 20 min flat!

Prospector
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Anyway.. Any SoCal guys who want to get togeather for some fishing here is the place to check in!! For those who have never been on our local boats feel free to ask questions.. I would be more than happy to go fish with you... Got a bunch of extra gear to go around too..

Got to go.. A few new Avet's need some spooling!!!

This sound great. Haven't gone in so long.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
dang i sure do want to go. how much does this cost and what type of equipment do i need? i only have rods that can probably bring in something under 15lbs.. none of that monster tuna rods

Fjold
03-23-2007, 1:51 PM
dang i sure do want to go. how much does this cost and what type of equipment do i need? i only have rods that can probably bring in something under 15lbs.. none of that monster tuna rods

For local waters the heaviest that you "need" would be about 25-30 Lb test, which will let you finesse fish up to about 50# if you need to (and if you know how) :D

Sheldon
03-23-2007, 3:37 PM
The 1/2 and 3/4 day trips are still under $50 I believe. Here's a site I use to keep track of the local landings and their fish counts. It's been a year since I have been out, but I do also enjoy the saltwater fishing.
http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

NwG
03-23-2007, 4:38 PM
Over-night boats usually cost around $110. Boat leaves ~9PM and returns ~6PM the next day. Works out real nice. You wake up and get to fish the early first light bite. Food and drink is not included in the price. The food on the boat is usually very good.. Fresh fish if you get some and big greesy burgers.. I don't know what it is but after a day fishing a burger never tasted soo good!!

As for gear.. Once the Yellowtail and White Sea Bass are in full swing you will need quality gear. Spinning rods and reel that can handle these fish are expensive. 99% of the people use a bait casting reel. Don't worry if you don't know how to cast one.. You will learn real quick! SoCal has it's very own style rod and reel set-ups.. Long rods 8-9 feet with a long handle and usually no reel seat. The reel is clamped to the rod with reel clamp. The long rod lets you toss a live bait usually sardine or squid a good ways away from the boat with no weight on the line. Most fishing is done with flylineing a live bait. IMO 25 pound line is the lightest tackel I would fish for WSB and yellows. 30-40 pound gear is a bit better and lets you turn the fish before it gets to the kelp / rocks.

I usually bring 4 rods with me but 2 will get you by just fine.. I bring a 25lbs live bait rod, A 30 pound live bait rod, a 40 pound jig stick for trowing surface iron and large bait, and a smaller 15-20 pound spinning rig for small bass and other fish..

You can rent the gear at the landings but it is usually crap and I wouldn't trust it..

There is a bunch of stuff to learn about for this kind of fishing, best way is to hop on a boat.. The crew's are usually very helpful!!

Good fishing!!! I'm off on the Freedom tonight! Hope things are hungry!!

rorschach
03-23-2007, 5:50 PM
For local waters the heaviest that you "need" would be about 25-30 Lb test, which will let you finesse fish up to about 50# if you need to (and if you know how) :D

25 is plenty stout. I use 15 for the local boats, maybe 25 if the boats headed for Catalina.

I usually take a couple of 7 foot bait rigs w/Jigmasters (15, 25 lbs) and an 8 1/2' with a Hi-Speed Jigmaster with 25 lb test for pitching iron. I usually keep an extra jigmaster spool loaded with 35 lb in case I'm being outgunned, which is pretty rare.

I havent been out in 2 years now, I used to catch the 1/2 and 3/4 out of Redondo, but they really went downhill. My last trip was an overnighter out of Berth 55 in Long Beach, and I was very pleased, great service all around.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-23-2007, 7:32 PM
do you need a fishing license or does the boat have one of those boatwide licenses?

Fjold
03-23-2007, 7:40 PM
You can buy a one day license on the boat.

I used to be kind of a tackle Ho and on one 8 day long range trip that we took a couple of years ago with a group of friends off of www.allcoastsportfishing.com there was 32 of us on the Q-105 (105 foot long ranger) and we figured out there was around $200,000 worth of rods and reels on board.

(You have to realize that a two speed Accurate reel will cost upwards of $1300 and the big tuna sticks can cost over $500).

tankerman
03-23-2007, 8:51 PM
Yellowtail in this case.. The Yellowfin never really showed up last year :( The Yellowfin usually show up in early to mid summer and are within range of the local boats. While we had mahi-mahi all the way up to Catalina last year the Yellowfin never made it.... Do you think the 12 super sainers with 100 ton a pull capacity had anything to do with it? Ya....

It's ok though.. With the amount of Yellowtail we got last year it more than made up for it!! IMO Yellowtail is pound for pound the hardest fighting fish in the sea.. Fun to watch a 30 pound fish reduce a growen man to a worthless pile of Jell-O in 20 min flat!

Yellowfin generally show up in the late summer and fall allong with the DoDo's,when the water is the warmest, sometimes a bit earlier if the water on the coast gets real warm. Albacore around July 1st give or take a few weeks, and are present in reduced number off shore year round. A large resident population of Yellowtail live at the islands and can be very finicky, persistence pays off, along with knowledge. Sea Bass in mid spring if they feel like showing up on the schedule everyone wants them to be on, otherwise only the fish know when that bit will turn on and off. All bets are off when an aggressive El Nino show up.
As far as gear goes, leave the coffee grinders/egg beaters at home. Fish around three different outfits
12-15 lb rig for calicos in the weeds, finicky Yellowtail and flatfish when water is clear.
20-25 lb. this will likely be the outfit you use most, 7'-7.5' bait rod
30-40 lb. jig fishing 6'-6.5' for yo-yo and 8'+ for surface iron.Seiners make a very small dent in the Yellowfin population, they are tough to catch up this way mostly because they have gone to feeding on no-seem-um micro-chovies and they don't need to eat your bait with an obvious hook and line hanging out, this is not always the case but it happens frequently. In 2002 there were miles of Yellowfin inside of Clemente for months and they never bit.
2001 in the "cove" at Clemente, the Yellowtail bit in the mud for 2 weeks straight,in twenty fathoms straight up and down. All cookie cutter fish @ 25 Lbs.Limits by day light, sick. Most folks can't pull to a limit on Yellows.

Fishing at the islands used to be much more fun when the quality captains were still in the business. Only a few really know how to fish Clemente properly and provide the proper bait.

NwG
03-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Seiners make a very small dent in the Yellowfin population, they are tough to catch up this way mostly because they have gone to feeding on no-seem-um micro-chovies and they don't need to eat your bait with an obvious hook and line hanging out, this is not always the case but it happens frequently. In 2002 there were miles of Yellowfin inside of Clemente for months and they never bit.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that one..

In the 10 or so years I worked on a marlin / tuna charter out of LA and Cabo we got a pretty good look at the Yellowfin population. Up until the point when the super seiners started to show up in Mexican waters from all over the world the run of Yellowfin was large and rather constant. While Cabo was usually pretty safe from the pressure of these boats the fish north of Magdalina Bay really got hamered. Last year 12 super seiners were working the banks and took upwards of 50,000 metric tons of fish.. They basicly scooped up most of the fish that usually end up offshore around the US / Mexico boarder. Ask any of our local skippers that make the 2 and 3 day offshore runs for these fish and they will all tell you the same thing.. Super seiners..

Anyway.. Just got back from an overnight on the Freedom! Was an early season trip looking for the fish. We loaded up on squid from a lightboat at Cat and made our way to to the island of 10,000 bombs :) We worked the cove at first light and found some 59* water. We hooked 1 WSB but not landed. A young sea-dog ate my new white/glow sumo with squid pinned to.. Little POS cost me $9 :( We worked our way around the cove and got into a few Yellowtail around 10AM. 7-8 pound fish, landed 2. Went out and picked at the rockfish for a hour or so and looked for more yellow.. Got bit but nothing landed.. Weather was great and seas were calm.. Nice trip..

tankerman
03-25-2007, 7:38 AM
I am going to have to disagree with you on that one..

In the 10 or so years I worked on a marlin / tuna charter out of LA and Cabo we got a pretty good look at the Yellowfin population. Up until the point when the super seiners started to show up in Mexican waters from all over the world the run of Yellowfin was large and rather constant. While Cabo was usually pretty safe from the pressure of these boats the fish north of Magdalina Bay really got hamered. Last year 12 super seiners were working the banks and took upwards of 50,000 metric tons of fish.. They basicly scooped up most of the fish that usually end up offshore around the US / Mexico boarder. Ask any of our local skippers that make the 2 and 3 day offshore runs for these fish and they will all tell you the same thing.. Super seiners..

Anyway.. Just got back from an overnight on the Freedom! Was an early season trip looking for the fish. We loaded up on squid from a lightboat at Cat and made our way to to the island of 10,000 bombs :) We worked the cove at first light and found some 59* water. We hooked 1 WSB but not landed. A young sea-dog ate my new white/glow sumo with squid pinned to.. Little POS cost me $9 :( We worked our way around the cove and got into a few Yellowtail around 10AM. 7-8 pound fish, landed 2. Went out and picked at the rockfish for a hour or so and looked for more yellow.. Got bit but nothing landed.. Weather was great and seas were calm.. Nice trip..
Come on, look at the historical catchs over the past thirty years before make that claim. Also, I don't need to ask a skipper. I used work those runs myself, 1 to 4 day trips. It is nice to want to be right, but you're not. If your yellowfin example is correct then the same would go for Albacore and that is just not true. I have fished in Socal waters for 30+ years and I know what you are saying is incorrect. Southern California waters are traditionally Albacore and Bluefin area. Most of the Bluefin were wiped out 50+ years ago and the Alba chose different feeding grounds in the mid nineties and the yellowfin moved in in better numbers, commercial fishing is not new to southern california or Mexico and it use to be much more destructive, destroying the Bluefin(in Socal) and almost wiping out the Black and White seabass along with the Cow Cod, they hammered the Albacore and never could make a big dent, volume exceeds demand, and the fleets did not restrain them selves to California waters, they traveled thousands of miles and did not return till full. Also, much of the yellowfin reported is has been fish caught on the inside along the coast and are small fish usually under 5 lb. hanging around the kelp, this goes for the Dorado as well. These fish do not count towards this discussion as this is about the ovenight and multiple day fleet, excluding long range.
Yellowfin and Dorado are among the fastest growing with an average life span of 3 years and the oldest fish being 5 years. Their eating simply can not keep up with their metabolism.
The commercial outfits today are small in comparison to the early and mid twentieth century when every port in southern Cal had numerous canneries operating and a monsterous fleet . Learn the history of fishing in Socal if you are going to insist that you know what you are taking about. Deep sea fishing was invented here, so if you want to learn the history find a book about the Avalon tuna club called "The story of the Tuna Club, 1898 to 1998"

hung380
03-25-2007, 8:24 AM
Hello, another fisherman here saying hello. I took my boat out on friday and didnt get squat:mad: the weather was perfect and I metered lots of fish but none seem to bite. I was fishing the horseshoe area trying to land some sand and calico but nothing but croakers. Nwg, I love to go on 1-2 day trips for surface fishes and maybe someday we can plan a trip out with some of my other fishing buddies for some big surface fish. BTW, how come the albacore havent been biting for 2 years? I remember the albacore use to be wide open every year 60 miles out of point loma.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-25-2007, 3:09 PM
so how much is a day pass? and i take it my large mouth bass rods wont be working ehhh

magmaster
03-25-2007, 6:34 PM
I've been fishing Clemente lately and some local spots. The fish are bighting already!!:) I'll be going as much as I can this summer. One of the benefits of working in the fishing industry is knowing when and where the fish are all year long :)

NwG
03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
No need to start a fight in this thread. Everybody is allowed to think what they want and we can leave it like that.

Just talked to about 8 different boaters who worked the east end of Cat over the weekend. WSB bite really opened up Sat. night around midnight. Fish were shallow (12-25 feet) in the bands or warmer 59-60* water. Most were fishing live squid rigged with 1/2-3/4 slideing sinker on a 3/0-6/0 hook.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-26-2007, 9:12 AM
lets not let this turn out to be my gun is bigger than your gun.. esp since i only have a 16 inch barrel :(

hung380
03-26-2007, 9:33 AM
lets all get together and go fishing:p

xdimitrix
03-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I never catch anything when I go out on a cattle boat (ventura/santa barbara county). I try to only go out when it's really good but still no luck. Getting skunked is bad, but its worse when you shell out +40 bucks.

NwG
03-26-2007, 6:14 PM
The problem with party / cattle boats is it is really hard to find one with a good skipper and crew. Out of the 50+ boats in the LA area there are only 2 or 3 that I will even think about going on.. Most skippers will park on a spot and just fish that spot. They will try to save fuel and don't really care too much about the fish. Others will go out of there way and loose money to put you on fish. The problem is finding those guys!

rorschach
03-26-2007, 6:25 PM
Anyone ever fish the old barge at Redondo?? I used to go several times every summer till they towed it away.

magmaster
03-26-2007, 7:38 PM
The best thing to do with cattleboat fishing is to watch the counts. See which boat has the better fish to angler average. Watch the tides and pick a day where you have good current and the counts have been steady. Take a trio down to OC or even San Diego. The summer is usally good and for the most part the captains are pretty good.

The Dana Pride has an excellent skipper and crew. The bad thing is the boat is usally packed shoulder to shoulder in the summer. Newport Landing and Davey's Locker both have great Twilight trips for local sand bass. Learn th throw plastics and when the bite is good you can catch well over 50 sand bass in a night. I recommend the Freelance out of Davey's Locker for Twilight trips in the summer. The Patriot out of Newport Landing has a great captain that is a good friend of mine. He will try his hardest to get everyone on fish every trip.

When the local bite is wide open I will post on here to let you guys know so you can plan trips accordingly. I will let you guys know what the "hot" bait has been as well.

cgmoe
03-26-2007, 8:00 PM
I'm heading out to the channel islands on an overnight charter in a couple weeks. Any pointers? I've never targeted lings before.

xdimitrix
03-26-2007, 8:01 PM
The problem is some landings lie about the fish counts. It's pretty obvious when no one catches anything yet the fish count for your boat says how great it was.

NwG
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm heading out to the channel islands on an overnight charter in a couple weeks. Any pointers? I've never targeted lings before.

In a few weeks they may not be fishing lings anymore. The season for lings does open back up on April 1. In a few weeks time the water may be a bit warmer and the WSB and Yellowtail bite may open up a bit.

Anyway.. Lings are very agressive. The way I like to fish them is with a small stary rock fish. If the boat is fishing rockfish people will be pulling a bunch of small fish up. Find yourself a 5-8" stary and rig it on a 4-5oz lead head. Run the hook through the mouth and out the back. Drop it to the bottom and bring it up 2-3 cranks. The good thing about lings (other than the taste) is they have no swim bladder. They will fight all the way to the surface.

cgmoe
03-27-2007, 4:48 AM
Thanks for the tip NwG, I'll have to give that a try. I was told that we would be targeting lings, but I'll all for WSB and Yellows.

GlockComa
03-27-2007, 8:51 AM
Hey for those guys who are looking for great info.
You can always check out www.976tuna.com.
It gives you up to date info on whats being caught through out Socal.

rorschach
03-27-2007, 2:52 PM
The problem is some landings lie about the fish counts. It's pretty obvious when no one catches anything yet the fish count for your boat says how great it was.

+1

I mean, those skippers wouldnt lie about the count to hook more business now, would they??:rolleyes: