PDA

View Full Version : What else?

Latigo
01-28-2012, 6:31 AM
If there's anything about Swiss rifles you'd like to see on the CalGuns k31 thread, plpease post it here. I do have more to add, but maybe I'm forgetting something?

Blitzburgh
01-28-2012, 6:54 AM
How about a recommended reading list?

I was actually going to ask you for advice on where to start reading about the history, etc., and you've beaten me to the punch :)

Latigo
01-28-2012, 6:57 AM
Ok. I'll get that today. Dad has a number of the best in the armoury.

chknlyps2
01-28-2012, 7:11 AM
Thanks for that sticky! I have been going to your forum as a lurker to get info and load data from time to time. I think it is great you took the time to to do this here and I look forward to any other info you add!

I might have missed it but do you have any load data for Varget powder? I have been using 39 to 43.5 grains under a 147 gr fmj with good results. The lighter loads have been for my kids.

OpenSightsOnly
01-28-2012, 7:37 PM
If there's anything about Swiss rifles you'd like to see on the CalGuns k31 thread, plpease post it here. I do have more to add, but maybe I'm forgetting something?

Thanks for doing this really appreciate it :)

More importantly, I'm sure that the two recent "converts" will stop talking for a day or so . . . :rolleyes:

Just a thought, what about the how-to on preserving/maintaining the walnut stock versus a beech stock. I seem to recall a bunch of archived post about this topic like how they did it at Waffenfabrik or the cantonal arsenals.

Oh yeah, have used waffenfett as a lube for my AR's BCG. Works as good as CLP, ATF, and synthetic motor oil.

Pete1979
01-28-2012, 8:53 PM
Where to buy one in Kalifornia...

Pete1979
01-28-2012, 9:32 PM
Are the K-11 and early Swiss rifles worth looking into? I have read that they are not as strong as the K-31.

Shot a friend's K-31 and was impressed, I think I should have one. Just posted in the WTB section.

oftenindeed
01-28-2012, 9:46 PM
Thanks for doing this! Are there pics of the spacers mentioned in the accurizing section? Also, I own some Lee collet dies and was contemplating reloading soon with them. Guess I'll have to look at the safety issues surrounding those more in depth. Thanks again for all the continued info.

Eddie1965
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Accessories? I know you covered bayonets, but could you post pictures and info, if you have them, of chargers, bayonet frogs, pouches, etc.?

Latigo
01-29-2012, 8:00 AM
Thanks for that sticky! I have been going to your forum as a lurker to get info and load data from time to time. I think it is great you took the time to to do this here and I look forward to any other info you add!

I might have missed it but do you have any load data for Varget powder? I have been using 39 to 43.5 grains under a 147 gr fmj with good results. The lighter loads have been for my kids.

I'm sorry CL, but the only load data testing for an waful lot of years with projectiles that are close to the GP11 in weight, but I think I can find what you need anyway.

Latigo
01-29-2012, 8:09 AM
OSO, I'll put a post int there about stock care and actual original rennovation today sometime.

Pete, I'm sorry but I know next to nothing about California importers.
96/11s' 1911srs and k11, are definitely woth looking into. The 96/11 and 1911 typically will outshoot a k31 simply because of the longer sight radius.
The k11 is the sweetest handling little rifle you'll find. Not quite as accurate as the k31, but still excellent accuracy.

Oftenindeed, I'l post photos of the spacers today and how you can make them yourself. The ones here are made specifically for the rifles and have the exact I/D and O/D along with the varying thicknesses. There's nothing unsafe with the Lee dies at all. Its just that there have been some that didn't seem to be correctly sizing the case, but that was also some years back. Most likely it's been corrected by now.

I'll provide a link to the right place to order bayonettes, frogs and all other things Swiss Militaria. I have the perfect place to contact.

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 8:10 AM
mmm how about a link to get free ammo Latigo? har har!

Latigo
01-29-2012, 8:13 AM
Suire thing! I know where it is, but you'll have to make the free pickup well armed. :D
I'll be back later. Its inventory time this morning.

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 8:15 AM
lol sweet! ok there is one thing do you have ballistics charts or graphs on the GP-11? be interesting to see that.

OpenSightsOnly
01-29-2012, 9:23 AM
Where to buy one in Kalifornia...

Call Ammo Brothers . . .

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Call Ammo Brothers . . .

yup they got some on sale there and that was yesterday. Also got some 7.55 Swiss! woot woot! I picked up a box...but I think Latigo has his secret stash somewhere...hehehe

rojocorsa
01-29-2012, 10:26 AM
So is it true that they're bringing in a bunch more GP-11 in the future, or have I been had by the Internet rumor mill?

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
So is it true that they're bringing in a bunch more GP-11 in the future, or have I been had by the Internet rumor mill?

well it wasn't GP11 though it was Prvi Partizan stuff which is not bad. Not GP11 good but not bad. I liked it and I was hitting 600 yards with it.

OpenSightsOnly
01-29-2012, 10:35 AM
yup they got some on sale there and that was yesterday. Also got some 7.55 Swiss! woot woot! I picked up a box...but I think Latigo has his secret stash somewhere...hehehe

You got some Prvi Partizan's 7.5?

If so, I want the brass.

I reload.

Latigo
01-29-2012, 11:03 AM
There's still more than 8,000,000 rounds of GP11 left in Swiss armouries that's all eligible for export. It won't dry up anytime soon.

rojocorsa
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
But how much of that is going to the other European countries?

Don't mind me, my Swiss Flu didn't get any better. And now that I deduced that my rifle is dead on @ 100. I just wanna shoot it and shoot it...

Latigo
01-29-2012, 1:06 PM
Reloading, RC... reloading.

SKSer45
01-29-2012, 1:48 PM
You got some Prvi Partizan's 7.5?

If so, I want the brass.

I reload.

Sorry Open Sights Blitz tagged me already. He even scolded me yesterday for throwing away 7.62X54 R surplus :(

Blitzburgh
01-29-2012, 2:03 PM
Almost had to turn the youngin' over my knee!

I even save the brass that can't be reloaded. Scrap brass brings a pretty penny depending on the make up/alloy. Navy brass which is hard to get, but that stuff is like gold! A long time ago when I was a lot more involved in my surplus business and bought a lot of military surplus I got my hands on a brass fitting, only maybe a pound or two? Just a little thing... Was at the scrap yard dropping off the weeks pickins and put that by itself on the scale. Guy came over... scratched at it... and said "I'll give you $65.00 for this piece".... Heck, now I save almost everything!

Edit/Add: I don't reload, yet. But someday... When I get some room cleared out and the correct tools. The reloading info that Latigo put up really lit a fire under my back end. I almost printed it out and used it for a shopping list! But I still have to do a few things before I can clear up the time and the space to get to the reloading part. I've been saving all my brass for at least the last couple of years. 5 Gallon buckets of it stacked up all over the place. It's gonna be a good time! I think I'll start with 7.5 Swiss :)

Latigo
01-29-2012, 2:10 PM
Don't toss that GP11 brass. It is reloadable with Berdan primers.

Latigo
01-30-2012, 7:34 AM
I'm sorry CL, but the only load data testing for an waful lot of years with projectiles that are close to the GP11 in weight, but I think I can find what you need anyway.

I'll post this here since it's not really a part of a k31's natural load data profile.

http3!swissriflesdotcommessagebo>d4yuku4com/se>*/text/8;q equals v>get plus & plus #aej&ord]by equals cr1t$.at&=um equals

rojocorsa
01-30-2012, 1:06 PM
Almost had to turn the youngin' over my knee!

I even save the brass that can't be reloaded. Scrap brass brings a pretty penny depending on the make up/alloy. Navy brass which is hard to get, but that stuff is like gold! A long time ago when I was a lot more involved in my surplus business and bought a lot of military surplus I got my hands on a brass fitting, only maybe a pound or two? Just a little thing... Was at the scrap yard dropping off the weeks pickins and put that by itself on the scale. Guy came over... scratched at it... and said "I'll give you $65.00 for this piece".... Heck, now I save almost everything!

Edit/Add: I don't reload, yet. But someday... When I get some room cleared out and the correct tools. The reloading info that Latigo put up really lit a fire under my back end. I almost printed it out and used it for a shopping list! But I still have to do a few things before I can clear up the time and the space to get to the reloading part. I've been saving all my brass for at least the last couple of years. 5 Gallon buckets of it stacked up all over the place. It's gonna be a good time! I think I'll start with 7.5 Swiss :)

The only brass I don't save is my rimfire (goes all over the place, lol) and my steel cased commie stuff. Everything else I saved. I hope someone will give me cash for all the Yugo surplus x54R someday.

Latigo
02-01-2012, 8:00 AM
A Sight Adjuster recommendation is now on the main thread.

Gurney
02-01-2012, 4:54 PM
Latigo, an FAQ for what to look for in an SR before purchase would be good. I bought a K31 from a gentleman here, and find (after reading your father's guides) I'm inclined to take it to a smith for a check-out. Something's bothering me, I don't know what, but I want it examined by someone wiser than me before I take it to the range.

Thanks for all you do for the SR community.

Latigo
02-01-2012, 5:45 PM
Got it. I'll work on that tomorrow.