PDA

View Full Version : Question about out of state purchase

dunndeal
01-27-2012, 7:17 PM
I have gift certificates worth about $1500 for Cabela's. I called their Reno store to inquire about buying a pistol each for my wife and I, they said they will not sell/ship to a CA resident.

Question: Would it be legal to send the gift certificates to a friend of mine who lives in Boise, have him buy the two pistols (I'm thinking 9mm Gen3 Glocks) at the local Cabela's, ship to him a pair of 10 round magazines and then have him ship the pistols (or have a local FFL ship them) to a FFL here in CA?

Thanks in advance.

ArmyMedicMoose
01-27-2012, 7:18 PM
why go thru the hassle? just use it to buy bulk ammo. Head down to your local gun store and pick up a pistol.

San_Diego_Shooter
01-27-2012, 7:27 PM
Really? Just find a local FFL after selecting what you want at Cabelas and arrange for shipment through the FFL. I've done it. Yes, you pay extra CA fees (user fees and CA tax) but it is actually quite simple. Watch for Cabelas sales. They are good people (not actually very cheap most of the time though).

dunndeal
01-27-2012, 8:32 PM
why go thru the hassle? just use it to buy bulk ammo. Head down to your local gun store and pick up a pistol.

I need two pistols, one for wifey and me, $1500 buys more ammo than I'll need for quite awhile.

dunndeal
01-27-2012, 8:33 PM
Really? Just find a local FFL after selecting what you want at Cabelas and arrange for shipment through the FFL. I've done it. Yes, you pay extra CA fees (user fees and CA tax) but it is actually quite simple. Watch for Cabelas sales. They are good people (not actually very cheap most of the time though).

I've sent an email to RMB Enterprises, the FFL I've used in the past. Thanks for the suggestion.

tenpercentfirearms
01-28-2012, 6:57 AM
I guess Cabelas won't do handguns. They send me rifles for customers all the time.

Yes your friend can buy the pistols and send them directly to your transfer FFL. You might end up spending $50 to $150 more on them each once you are done with the transfer and shipping, but free money is free money.

On second thought, can your friend honestly say he is the actual buyer of the firearms when he fills out his 4473? If he can't then he is violating federal law. Even though he is actually going to send them to an FFL and do the process legally, he might be wrongly saying yes to question 11.A. Will anyone catch him or care? Probably not, but it is an issue.