PDA

View Full Version : 80% Receiver to Pistol

speeedracerr
01-27-2012, 12:49 AM
UPDATED: MARCH 30, 2012
I already have most of my parts ready to complete my AR Pistol Build e.g. Milled and Completed 80% lower receiver (Thanks to roccobro :D ), Bullet Button, Pistol Buffer Tube Assembly and LPK.

I just need a complete AR pistol upper and the single shot requirement.

Now... I just saw this online: http://www.fulton-armory.com/magazinefollowersingleloadsnap-inplastic.aspx and wanted to know if this plastic single shot piece which you attach to an existing AR magazine will satisfy the Single Shot requirement? Any help is truly appreciated! ;)
Picture below:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FULTON-ARMORY-TOP-LOADING-SINGLE-SHOT-MAGAZINE-FOLLOWER-AR-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqNHJEYE88dNBUO6BPcnNLSC9Q~~60_1.JPG

Picture of my half completed pistol:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/speeedracerr/pisar.jpg

ke6guj
01-27-2012, 7:29 AM
thats what many people have used to initially build up an SSE pistol.

Thats why many people say you need a SLED to make it SSE.

Akers
01-27-2012, 7:43 AM
I put mine together without the gas tube, and put a single shot magazine, so it would be a single shot. After I took the picture I reconfigured it to semi auto with the 10 rd mag, bullet button, and muzzle compensator.

Tada

ptoguy2002
01-27-2012, 8:25 AM
It is worth mentioning that the SSE exemption also has minimum overall length and barrel length requirements, though these usually aren't an issue with AR pistols.

Akers
01-27-2012, 9:07 AM
Also there is a bob sled for sale on CGN for a little less.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=525982

wash
01-27-2012, 9:42 AM
If the gas system is in place and functioning, you need a bullet button too.

But you need the bullet button any way because of CA pistol "assault weapon" laws.

darthnugget
01-27-2012, 7:52 PM
Couldn't you just make a single round mag using the same technique as the 10/20 Pmag limiting tutorial?

ke6guj
01-27-2012, 7:58 PM
Couldn't you just make a single round mag using the same technique as the 10/20 Pmag limiting tutorial?it needs to be a ZERO-round magazine. if it can hold one round while there is one in the chamber, then you have a two-shot pistol, which isn't exempt.

plinko
01-27-2012, 8:38 PM
So let me get this right. When building a SSE pistol from an 80% lower, you need to document and assemble is as a single shot first? Take a pic and then your good to go?

ke6guj
01-27-2012, 9:10 PM
So let me get this right. When building a SSE pistol from an 80% lower, you need to document and assemble is as a single shot first? Take a pic and then your good to go?

there is no PC or reg that requires it.

ohlone
01-28-2012, 1:07 AM
how about use a AR-15 Lower Receiver Vise Block? such as http://www.calegalmags.com/PROMAG-AR-15-Lower-Receiver-Vise-Block_p_224.html
it can sit in the mag well firm and holds ZERO round, does that way count as single shot?

repoman1984
01-28-2012, 1:14 AM
it needs to be a ZERO-round magazine. if it can hold one round while there is one in the chamber, then you have a two-shot pistol, which isn't exempt.

Its been a while since I played with an AR magazine but if one managed to simply keep the follower in its TOP most position with glue/rivets/welds whatever it could not even hold one round correct?

I'm also a fan of the picture idea tossing a newspaper in the background isn't a bad idea either for a time reference.

wash
01-28-2012, 2:36 PM
Documentaion is not required and possibly a bad idea if you inadvertently document an illegal configuration.

The way California "unsafe" handgun law and "assault weapon" law work, the state has to prove you have done something illegal to convict you of anything.

As long as you don't incriminate yourself and there is a legal path that you used or could have used to obtain the firearm, it will be impossible for a judge or jury to convict you of manufacturing an "unsafe" handgun.

So if a police officer asks you about how you made your AR15 pistol, tell them "it's a legal weapon and I will have to let my lawyer address any other questions you have". Telling them any more than that only increases your risk of prosecution.

It's bad that we have to tippy-toe around constitutionally protected arms and police officers that will try to enforce unconstitutional laws but it's better than getting arrested and paying for a criminal defense lawyer.

swift
01-29-2012, 3:13 PM
there is no PC or reg that requires it.

Jack,

just to check for understanding, there is no PC or reg that requires the builder of an AR15 pistol from an 80% receiver to either create a single shot pistol or to document the creation of the pistol. The bobsled/0-round mag is only needed to make use of the single-shot exemption for the non-ppt purchase an off-roster pistol. Correct?

Thanks.

ke6guj
01-29-2012, 3:53 PM
Jack,

just to check for understanding, there is no PC or reg that requires the builder of an AR15 pistol from an 80% receiver to either create a single shot pistol or to document the creation of the pistol. The bobsled/0-round mag is only needed to make use of the single-shot exemption for the non-ppt purchase an off-roster pistol. Correct?

Thanks.

there is no PC or reg that requires that you document how the pistol was created.

The PC does prohibit you from manufacturing an unsafe handgun (unless you manufacture a handgun that is exempt from that PC, such as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot handgun).

DannyInSoCal
01-29-2012, 4:04 PM
None of this BS is neccessary to build your own AR pistol from an 80% lower for your own use -

The SSE is only for registration of a pistol.

80% lowers completed by the owner do not have to be registered...

chillincody
01-29-2012, 4:27 PM
hey op buy a cheap magizine and block if off to 0 rounds via rivet or JB weld ..will save you 30$ or so

ke6guj
01-29-2012, 4:27 PM
None of this BS is neccessary to build your own AR pistol from an 80% lower for your own use -

The SSE is only for registration of a pistol.
incorrect. the roster applies to even homebuilt handguns.

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.

homebuilt handguns are not exempted from this law just because you made it for your own use. homebuilt SSE handguns are exempt from this law just like commercial SSE handguns are exempt from this law.

80% lowers completed by the owner do not have to be registered...correct.

swift
01-29-2012, 4:33 PM
there is no PC or reg that requires that you document how the pistol was created.

The PC does prohibit you from manufacturing an unsafe handgun (unless you manufacture a handgun that is exempt from that PC, such as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot handgun).

ke6guj, keeping us compliant one post at a time....

DannyInSoCal
01-29-2012, 4:47 PM
So I build an AR pistol from an 80% lower -

No requirements specify I need to document it as a SSE pistol.

No requirements specify that it is registered.

The roster only applies to pistols that are registered.

I stand by my earlier post...

ke6guj
01-29-2012, 4:56 PM
just because you don't have to document that you followed the law doesn't mean that you can ignore the law and say that none of this BS is neccessary.

wash
01-29-2012, 5:31 PM
Danny, you don't have to document it or register it but if you manufacture an "unsafe handgun", you have committed a crime.

Don't commit a crime.

We figure out these work arounds so that California residents can get the legal firearms they want, not to cover up for people who disregard the law.

The whole point is keeping people out of jail so encouraging people to break the law is exactly contrary to our purpose.

Until we can get these unconstitutional laws invalidated, we have to stay legal all the time.

Wyseguy
01-29-2012, 6:35 PM
Danny, you don't have to document it or register it but if you manufacture an "unsafe handgun", you have committed a crime.
Don't commit a crime.
We figure out these work arounds so that California residents can get the legal firearms they want, not to cover up for people who disregard the law.

The whole point is keeping people out of jail so encouraging people to break the law is exactly contrary to our purpose.
Until we can get these unconstitutional laws invalidated, we have to stay legal all the time.
Pretty much sums it up!

Mrbroom
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
So 2 other guys and myself at the job want to build our own AR's from 80% lowers. I want to do an AR pistol (already DROS'd a lower last year configured to a M16A4) and understand doing the single shot first.. Other guys want to do a M4 tatical look. Anyways, had a few emails back and forth with Evil Black Rifles guy and pretty sure we will be going to him for completed uppers.. Now for the questions..

1. Who do you recommend getting 80% lowers from? I understand that they are all pretty much alike.. but, what constitutes 80% may be different from agmonst manufactures..

2. Is there anyone in So-Cal (LA or OC area) that has a machine shop where we can complete the lowers? I believe that the owner of the lower has to complete the work and the machine shop can rent the equipment needed. Maybe even give a tuturial on it's completion?

Akers
01-30-2012, 9:04 AM
So 2 other guys and myself at the job want to build our own AR's from 80% lowers. I want to do an AR pistol (already DROS'd a lower last year configured to a M16A4) and understand doing the single shot first.. Other guys want to do a M4 tatical look. Anyways, had a few emails back and forth with Evil Black Rifles guy and pretty sure we will be going to him for completed uppers.. Now for the questions..

1. Who do you recommend getting 80% lowers from? I understand that they are all pretty much alike.. but, what constitutes 80% may be different from agmonst manufactures..

2. Is there anyone in So-Cal (LA or OC area) that has a machine shop where we can complete the lowers? I believe that the owner of the lower has to complete the work and the machine shop can rent the equipment needed. Maybe even give a tuturial on it's completion?

I'd recommend Tactical Machining or Quentin Defense (for billet), as for milling...PM me.

VaderSpade
01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
quote; I want to do an AR pistol (already DROS'd a lower last year configured to a M16A4) and understand doing the single shot first..

This statement confuses me? Just remember once a rifle always a rifle!

tozan
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Greetings fellow CGN'ers,

I am thinking about putting an AR pistol together from an completed 80% lower receiver but to my understanding I need to initially assemble it as a single shot pistol.

Thanks a bunch for your assistance, any help is truly appreciated! :D

If you have a Completed 80% lower that was built into a rifle you can not convert it to pistol, if you completed the lower and never assembled it into a rifle then you can finish building your pistol now...

Sicilian
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Couldn't you just make a single round mag using the same technique as the 10/20 Pmag limiting tutorial?

how about use a AR-15 Lower Receiver Vise Block? such as http://www.calegalmags.com/PROMAG-AR-15-Lower-Receiver-Vise-Block_p_224.html
it can sit in the mag well firm and holds ZERO round, does that way count as single shot?

hey op buy a cheap magizine and block if off to 0 rounds via rivet or JB weld ..will save you 30$ or so

I am planning on building my first pistol AR from an 80% lower. I will just take a 10 round mag and remove the internals. This will leave a hollow shell, which means there is no way that it could ever feed a round = one shot pistol. It locks securely into place (unlike a vise block). You could replace the floor plate if you ever wanted to shoot it in such a configuration.

I'm all about cheap. This seems like the cheapest way possible to me :)

chillincody
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
I am planning on building my first pistol AR from an 80% lower. I will just take a 10 round mag and remove the internals. This will leave a hollow shell, which means there is no way that it could ever feed a round = one shot pistol. It locks securely into place (unlike a vise block). You could replace the floor plate if you ever wanted to shoot it in such a configuration.

I'm all about cheap. This seems like the cheapest way possible to me :)

I still wanna know why the 0 round sled is 80$ but a 10/30 mag is 20$ lmao

ke6guj
01-31-2012, 7:46 AM
I still wanna know why the 0 round sled is 80$ but a 10/30 mag is 20$ lmao

where the hell are you seeing an $80 SLED?

speeedracerr
03-30-2012, 3:10 AM
UPDATED: March 30, 2012 Please refer to original posting #1 Thanks for the help fellas!