PDA

View Full Version : Buy old or new

Portagee Mike
01-26-2012, 9:39 PM
I have a few questions on older rifles I'm a little new on what is what but a little info will help a lot. I'm up in the air on do I just go and buy a savage 308 or do I get a mosin and change the stock and add a scope. I figure price wise I would be in them about the same amount so that is a wash. Or do I look at other surplus weapons that are great shooters? With the mosin is there anything I need to be concerned about like the thing blowing up in my face. I love my Russian guns rugged and indestructible is the mosin a rugged weapon also? Are they as accurate as new weapons? I plan on going to the range and possibly deer hunting. I hope I don't sound like a idiot with all of these odd ball random questions but I'm ready to buy and was hoping for some help.

Thanks,
Portagee Mike

Divernhunter
01-26-2012, 9:54 PM
Buy the Savage. It will be easier to get hunting ammo(also cheaper) and more accurate. It will have a much,much better trigger and be set up properly for a scope. If you want a good quality less expensive scope get a 3X9 Redfield. They are made by Leupold have the lifetime no BS warr from Leupold which you probably will never need. Ammo selection for a 308Win cartridge is much larger and better than the Russian 7.62X54R cartridge. Mil surplus ammo is also easy to get for the 308Win for fun shooting.
The russian is tuff, a good mil rifle and fun to shoot. They are cheap so get one and shoot it as is.
Not sure where you are located but if you are near me you are welcome to try out any of my rifles(Tikka/Savage/Rem/Ruger) and my russian or other mil surplus rifles.

The Savage in 308 will be hard to beat value wise and funtion wise.

Portagee Mike
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Well this is why I post in here to get the no bs answer. Thanks for the reply I don't have a clue where you are at but I'm in Linden. It looks like I'm off to alquest arms to see what they have. On the savage since you seem to know a little on them how does the lower model compare it seem like a great deal at 300 bucks? Or do you move up a model and spend the extra $. I'm thinking what the hell I will buy both at about $100 for the mosin it won't break the bank.

echo1
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Well this is why I post in here to get the no bs answer. Thanks for the reply I don't have a clue where you are at but I'm in Linden. It looks like I'm off to alquest arms to see what they have. On the savage since you seem to know a little on them how does the lower model compare it seem like a great deal at 300 bucks? Or do you move up a model and spend the extra $. I'm thinking what the hell I will buy both at about $100 for the mosin it won't break the bank.
Buy the Savage. It will be easier to get hunting ammo(also cheaper) and more accurate. It will have a much,much better trigger and be set up properly for a scope. If you want a good quality less expensive scope get a 3X9 Redfield. They are made by Leupold have the lifetime no BS warr from Leupold which you probably will never need. Ammo selection for a 308Win cartridge is much larger and better than the Russian 7.62X54R cartridge. Mil surplus ammo is also easy to get for the 308Win for fun shooting.The russian is tuff, a good mil rifle and fun to shoot. They are cheap so get one and shoot it as is. Not sure where you are located but if you are near me you are welcome to try out any of my rifle(Tikka/Savage/Rem/Ruger) and my russian or other mil surplus rifles.
The Savage in 308 will be hard to beat value wise and funtion wise.

What he said if you're getting into larger bolt guns. All I can suggest is to set a dollar limit for rig and ammo. Hands down Mosin are the cheapeast to buy and to shoot. $150 out the door from Big-5. $90 bucks 440 rds 7.62X54 to your door. But if you're wanting Mil-Surp, Spanish, Columbian, Chinese, a few other Mauser actions in NATO. The bee's knees is an FR-8, which I must have. I've got a Spanish 1916 and an Ishapore in NATO. Plinking rds/k should be around $.50 -$.75. So you're looking at twice the bucks and half the ammo.
I'm in Ripon, from Linden you have to pass my way to Denair. Lets hookup and shoot Divernhunters stuff. I've got some of each as well and you can decide for yourself. You buy lunch. PAX

freonr22
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
If you can bump.your.budget up to maybe $400ish. A nice sportered mauser in 30-06 scoped is.very nice.

freonr22
01-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Something like http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270805145 or Parker hale. Or interarms Mark x

TheExpertish
01-27-2012, 7:39 AM
I have a few questions on older rifles I'm a little new on what is what but a little info will help a lot. I'm up in the air on do I just go and buy a savage 308 or do I get a mosin and change the stock and add a scope. I figure price wise I would be in them about the same amount so that is a wash. Or do I look at other surplus weapons that are great shooters? With the mosin is there anything I need to be concerned about like the thing blowing up in my face. I love my Russian guns rugged and indestructible is the mosin a rugged weapon also? Are they as accurate as new weapons? I plan on going to the range and possibly deer hunting. I hope I don't sound like a idiot with all of these odd ball random questions but I'm ready to buy and was hoping for some help.

Thanks,
Portagee Mike

I'd say you'd be fine with a Mosin if you know what you're looking at. No need to change the stock and there are quite a few ways to mount a scope to it. Redfield is an excellent suggestion. Ammo is plentiful and not horribly expensive. However, I think modern arms are more practical for hunting. You can hunt with a Mosin, but it's going to depend on your budget.

emcon5
01-27-2012, 7:42 AM
If you want to put a traditional scope on a Mosin, (instead of a "scout" style) you will spend the cost difference getting the Mosin drilled/tapped.

I would get one of the Savage package deals that comes with a scope mounted. Pretty sure I have seen them on sale for under $400.

echo1
01-27-2012, 8:38 AM
If you can bump.your.budget up to maybe $400ish. A nice sportered mauser in 30-06 scoped is.very nice.

You're round cost for .30-06 is going to be at least a buck a shot. NATO can still be found for a third that and commercial hunting about the same as 06. This is an Ishapore that I'm into for $200 as you see it, but I've been at it a long time. Came in the ATI, which is why it was cheaper than if it was in military funriture.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac159/adpax/default/guns/DSCN0178.jpg
I say forget the scope and learn to shoot with iron if you've got good eyes. Get the Mosin and learn to shoot it, then save up to get a modern rig with glass before hunting season (except for pigs, open all year). You can't have too many guns! PAX

Portagee Mike
01-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Sorry about the late reply work has been booming. My budget is not a big issue I'm just a cheap Portagee who hates to spend $ on things I can't enjoy(guns not included). As for a gun I just can't see spending extra dough on a expensive rifle when a savage seems to be as good as other rifles at half the cost. As for the mosin I guess it's the history buff in me that wants to own a milsurp weapon. I also figured I would be different and hunt with a weapon older than my grandfather that's why I was thinking of a mosin.

Thanks for all of the help,

Portagee Mike

bruceflinch
01-28-2012, 7:59 AM
I think you need to think outside the box.
Why limit yourself to one gun? (purchase one at a time as funds allow)
You want a Hunting Rifle & a Range Rifle. What are you going to hunt? A 30 caliber type size?
Reloading an issue?
Have you perused the CG Marketplace?

Several years ago I found a nice Savage 308 w/ scope in the CG Marketplace for a smoking deal. I use it for High Power Sihlouettes. Now I don't hunt & this rifle is way too big & heavy to hunt with, IMO. 26" heavy barrel/Sniper stock, about 13 pounds. But it is very comfortable to shoot 60 rounds in one trip. Reloading makes it affordable to shoot.
I'm loading 308 & 30-06 for about .30 a round.

You need to be proficient w/ a Hunting rifle, but I see few guys at the range using their hunting rifle as their Range plinker.

mes227
01-28-2012, 8:05 AM
I have a few questions on older rifles I'm a little new on what is what but a little info will help a lot. I'm up in the air on do I just go and buy a savage 308 or do I get a mosin and change the stock and add a scope. I figure price wise I would be in them about the same amount so that is a wash. Or do I look at other surplus weapons that are great shooters? With the mosin is there anything I need to be concerned about like the thing blowing up in my face. I love my Russian guns rugged and indestructible is the mosin a rugged weapon also? Are they as accurate as new weapons?e

I think you answered the question when you wrote "I love my Russian guns."

Fireguy
01-29-2012, 3:18 PM
Mike,
As one cheap Portagee to another, get the the savage in .308 for hunting and be done with it. Then get a mosin for the range and fun shooting if it doesnt rattle your teeth. I brought a mosin shotly after finding this site and I just don't like shooting it.
All my hunting rifles have been 30.06 which is getting to expensive to plink with every week.
In my opinion getting both rifles is more cost effective than converting a mosin.