PDA

View Full Version : Selling gun not registered

Retriever Believer
01-26-2012, 4:38 PM
Someone I know (person A) bought a pistol a couple of years ago from the original purchaser (person B) of the gun. The gun was not "drosed" through an FFL. Now person A wants to sell the pistol legally to a third person. Will he have any problem since the gun was never registered in his ( person A's) name? Will there be any fall-back on the original purchaser ( person B) since he sold it without going through an FFL?

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before.

Thank you.

ke6guj
01-26-2012, 4:55 PM
Someone I know (person A) bought a pistol a couple of years ago from the original purchaser (person B) of the gun. The gun was not "drosed" through an FFL. Now person A wants to sell the pistol legally to a third person. Will he have any problem since the gun was never registered in his ( person A's) name?
no.
Will there be any fall-back on the original purchaser ( person B) since he sold it without going through an FFL?
.no.

for the most part CADOJ knows that unpapered transfers happen and they can't really stop them. They just want the new transfer to be done legally through an FFL.

If they gave person A a hard time when he tried to legally PPT to buyer C, then Person A would then just do another paperless transfer and it would forever a unpapered gun. they don't want that.

Jeepers
01-26-2012, 5:04 PM
anyone know what the S.O.L. is on a "paperless" transfer ?

Librarian
01-26-2012, 5:31 PM

It's a misdemeanor - 3 years, IIRC. But worrying about a statute of limitations requires a crime first, and we strongly discourage folks from committing crimes in the first place.

Jeepers
01-26-2012, 5:34 PM
It's a misdemeanor - 3 years, IIRC. But worrying about a statute of limitations requires a crime first, and we strongly discourage folks from committing crimes in the first place.not worried myself but the OP said it was done "couple of years ago"

Mssr. Eleganté
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Some illegal paperless transfers are misdemeanors with a one year SOL. Some illegal paperless transfers are felonies with a three year SOL. Figuring out if an illegal paperless transfer is a felony or a misdemeanor is so complicated that I gave up trying to figure it out.