PDA

View Full Version : US House: DC Gun Ban Reppeal stops Voting Rights Act

hoffmang
03-22-2007, 1:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what I think of the politics and legislative gamesmanship, but here it is.

House Democrats introduced a Voting Rights Act for DC a couple of days ago. House Republicans added a repeal of the DC handgun ban (which might moot Parker.) The Democratic leadership yanked the bill because they were worried that the conservative Dems would be forced to vote for it. Bill is effectively gone now.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0307/GOP_Forces_House_Democrats_To_Pull_DC_Voting_Bill. html

Two interesting bottom lines. Parker is now very likely to not be mooted until its too late. The implications of the voting blocs here mean that the AW ban (H.R. 1022) isn't even able to get out of the House.

-Gene

aileron
03-22-2007, 4:40 PM
Yeeee Hawww. :D

jnojr
03-22-2007, 5:48 PM
Why would DC need a "Voting Rights Act"???

And I, too, am glad that a gun ban repeal will not be going forward. This needs to go to SCOTUS. We need to find out, one way or the other, once and for all, where we stand. No more incrementalism... either strike a death blow to gun laws, or let us all know loud and clear which way the wind is blowing.

I just hope that, if SCOTUS decides it's a collective right, there are enough of us who are ready to use our guns for the reason the Founding Fathers codified the Second Amendment.

paradox
03-22-2007, 6:21 PM
Why would DC need a "Voting Rights Act"???

Because their lives are controlled by the US Congress, and they don't have any representation there. Taxation without representation at its worse...

383green
03-22-2007, 6:33 PM
And I, too, am glad that a gun ban repeal will not be going forward. This needs to go to SCOTUS. We need to find out, one way or the other, once and for all, where we stand. No more incrementalism... either strike a death blow to gun laws, or let us all know loud and clear which way the wind is blowing.

Welcome to my Buddy List!

hoffmang
03-22-2007, 7:27 PM
Even if we got a bad ruling it actually wouldn't change anything. Those states that have bad gun control would not change much and the rest of the states have RKBA clauses in their constitutions.

Just 'cause SCOTUS might go the wrong way doesn't change that a majority of states and voters believe we should all have arms.

-Gene