PDA

View Full Version : NV to Ca PPT

tikka223
01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
My dad lives in Nv and wants to give me a pistol. Does it have to go through an ffl if he sends it?

ke6guj
01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
yes. federal law requires that a CA FFL receive it to transfer to you. neither CA, NV or federal law require that it be sent FROM an FFL, just that it be sent TO an FFL.

halifax
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
If it's not on the roster have your dad include a note that it is a gift. Also, call your FFL first to give him a heads-up.

Leatherneck
01-26-2012, 7:05 PM
I was told today by an FFL that a non-roster pistol cannot be shipped to CA, even if it is being gifted from a father to son. They said that the father had to bring it into the state in order to gift it, either driving it in or flying with it in checked luggage.

Munk
01-26-2012, 7:18 PM
Make sure your FFL is aware that this is a Intrafamilial (father-son) transfer, and as such, is exempt from the roster.

I was told today by an FFL that a non-roster pistol cannot be shipped to CA, even if it is being gifted from a father to son. They said that the father had to bring it into the state in order to gift it, either driving it in or flying with it in checked luggage.

I was told the opposite... that they had to "receive" the firearm from a common carrier. Though, this may have just been policy.

Librarian
01-26-2012, 7:34 PM

Those two ways are certainly legal, and convenient, but the shipping option is also legal.

kemasa
01-26-2012, 7:42 PM

First off, any handgun which is not considered a so-called a-salt weapon can be shipped to a CA FFL. LEO can buy non-roster fireams, so that just shows that the FFL does not know what they are talking about.

Secondly, you can contact the CA DOJ and unless something has changed, they will tell you how to submit the DROS for an interstate intrafamilial transfer.

Third, don't believe everything you hear from a FFL. I recently heard that some FFLs are transferring the Rossi Ranch Hand and the Henry Mares Leg with the reason:

it has a DOJ exemption. It falls under the classification of a relic because it's designed after an 1800's model.

Now I had never heard of such a thing, so I called another FFL, just to check and then called the CA DOJ and no one else has heard of any such exemption. They are not converting it to a single shot, but instead it appears saying it is a C&R.

Leatherneck
01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Some followup questions:
- I spent some time last night on the DOJ website trying to find a reference to shipping a non-roster handgun for intrafamilial transfer, but did not find anything. Don't think my FFL will just take my word for it without being able to direct him to the passage that allows it. Can anyone help point me to it?

- My FFL says that he will not accept any shipment that comes from a private party, and will only accept shipments from another FFL. Can he decide which parts of the law he will follow and which he won't? The law says that the gun only has to be shipped TO an FFL, not FROM one.

- On an intrafamilial transfer that originates in another state and is shipped to a CA FFL, how do you deal with the need for a "seller" signature on the DROS, or isn't it required?

- What kind of proof, if any, is required on an intrafamilial transfer? I'm sure someone has tried to scam the system claiming a gun is coming from a father/mother/son/daughter/etc. when it really isn't. Is proof required by the DROSing FFL, and if so, what is required?

Thanks for putting up with the questions. I'm sure after I go through my first one of these, it will be easier.

paul0660
01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
You need a new FFL. He is wrong about the intrafamilial exemption, and being difficult about the shipping from FFL part. There are others out there. Put your zip in here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx and you will find some, and there are others.

halifax
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Some followup questions:
- I spent some time last night on the DOJ website trying to find a reference to shipping a non-roster handgun for intrafamilial transfer, but did not find anything. Don't think my FFL will just take my word for it without being able to direct him to the passage that allows it. Can anyone help point me to it?

- My FFL says that he will not accept any shipment that comes from a private party, and will only accept shipments from another FFL. Can he decide which parts of the law he will follow and which he won't? The law says that the gun only has to be shipped TO an FFL, not FROM one.

- On an intrafamilial transfer that originates in another state and is shipped to a CA FFL, how do you deal with the need for a "seller" signature on the DROS, or isn't it required?

- What kind of proof, if any, is required on an intrafamilial transfer? I'm sure someone has tried to scam the system claiming a gun is coming from a father/mother/son/daughter/etc. when it really isn't. Is proof required by the DROSing FFL, and if so, what is required?

Thanks for putting up with the questions. I'm sure after I go through my first one of these, it will be easier.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=137527

It's not a PPT so no seller signature is required. That also means the dealer fee is not limited to $10.

A signed letter (described in the link above) should be sufficient.

PolishMike
01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Also not accepting from anyone but FFLs is not illegal. It is a store policy that many stores have. I do it for good reason. I didn't always and it really came back to bite me.

ke6guj
01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Some followup questions:

sure he can. there is no requirement that he even accept shipments from anyone, not even another FFL. Its his license to do with as he wishes.

He could decide to only purchase firearms from walk-ins and then resell those if he wanted to.

- On an intrafamilial transfer that originates in another state and is shipped to a CA FFL, how do you deal with the need for a "seller" signature on the DROS, or isn't it required?it isn't required since it isn't being DROSed as a PPT, but as a standard DROS.

- What kind of proof, if any, is required on an intrafamilial transfer? I'm sure someone has tried to scam the system claiming a gun is coming from a father/mother/son/daughter/etc. when it really isn't. Is proof required by the DROSing FFL, and if so, what is required?there are no regulations that specify how the FFL verifies that it is an intrafamily transfer. usually a copy of the transferor's ID and a letter is good enough.