PDA

View Full Version : Buying modern BP repro revolver

Shotgun Willie
01-26-2012, 2:27 AM
Do you need a HSC and a utility bill to buy a modern BP repro revolver in this idiot state? Are there any sources for same in the OC area? And will ANY company ship one to your door?

Sorry if I sound snippy. I'm tired from searching for an answer.

Noonanda
01-26-2012, 4:30 AM
no not required, you can mail order a black powder reproduction pistol straight to your front door, no FFL required

Dutch3
01-26-2012, 4:36 AM
Do you need a HSC and a utility bill to buy a modern BP repro revolver in this idiot state? Are there any sources for same in the OC area? And will ANY company ship one to your door?

Completely legal to buy one without any paperwork whatsoever. I know Cabela's will ship them to California.

There may be other retailers who refuse to sell them to CA customers, simply because they are ignorant. Too bad for them.

Flintlock Tom
01-26-2012, 9:29 AM
Many are available on the auction sites and many sellers will ship straight to the buyer.

tujungatoes
01-26-2012, 9:36 AM
I bought mine from cabelas. :)

CEDaytonaRydr
01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
no not required, you can mail order a black powder reproduction pistol straight to your front door, no FFL required

...then (in some cases), you can install a conversion cylinder to shoot cartridges in the BP pistol. Pretty cool, eh? :43:

bplvr
01-26-2012, 3:56 PM
some cities DO have restrictions. Cabelas will only ship to certain zip codes.

Eljay
01-26-2012, 5:45 PM
Cabelas also has amazing sales on Pietta revolvers now and again.

littlejake
01-26-2012, 5:51 PM
Seems to me the problem is getting percussion caps and black powder. Both are so restricted that most carriers will not ship them. Not very many retail outlets for BP supplies. Pyrodex is used as a BP substitute -- but it's just not the same. Pyrodex can be shipped like fixed ammo with an ORM-D label.

Shotgun Willie
01-26-2012, 8:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was into BP some years ago in AZ and know about Pyrodex and Goex and stuff. I guess I'll have to hit a couple gun shops in the area for caps and Pyro.

It was looking like what you guys said about shipping, but then I started looking at cartain places and they said they don't ship to CA at all.

I used to buy LOTS of stuff from Cabela's, mail order to AZ, and always had good luck with them. Will prolly go with them again.

When I was in AZ I could get almost everything I needed from Jensen's in Tucson. I don't know if they still exist.

Thanks again for the info, frenz!

Shotgun Willie
01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
...then (in some cases), you can install a conversion cylinder to shoot cartridges in the BP pistol. Pretty cool, eh? :43:

I saw those, but they cost more than the pistol!:eek:

littlejake
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was into BP some years ago in AZ and know about Pyrodex and Goex and stuff. I guess I'll have to hit a couple gun shops in the area for caps and Pyro.

It was looking like what you guys said about shipping, but then I started looking at cartain places and they said they don't ship to CA at all.

I used to buy LOTS of stuff from Cabela's, mail order to AZ, and always had good luck with them. Will prolly go with them again.

When I was in AZ I could get almost everything I needed from Jensen's in Tucson. I don't know if they still exist.

Thanks again for the info, frenz!

There are a lot of out of state FFLs that don't want to deal with the extra legal requirements when shipping to California. IMO, they're just too lazy to learn how to do things. For the most part, except for AWs and non-rostered modern handguns, there's a way for out of state FFLs to ship to CA.

The restrictions on shipping caps, primers, and blackpowder are national and come from the US DOT. BP is classified as a primary explosive. Since 9/11 things have gotten very strict. Primers and caps have always been a danger to transport.

There is a restriction on having more than one pound of BP -- but, I'm not sure if that's a state or federal restriction.

Shotgun Willie
01-27-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm going to go repro powder. Messed with enough BP in the day.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-27-2012, 1:46 AM
I saw those, but they cost more than the pistol!:eek:

That's because they're worth it... ;)

EOD Guy
01-27-2012, 6:50 AM
Seems to me the problem is getting percussion caps and black powder. Both are so restricted that most carriers will not ship them. Not very many retail outlets for BP supplies. Pyrodex is used as a BP substitute -- but it's just not the same. Pyrodex can be shipped like fixed ammo with an ORM-D label.

The manufacturer's MSDS for Pyrodex states that it ships as a Flammable Solid, the same as smokeless powder. There are no packaging exceptions that allow reclassification to ORM-D.

smle-man
01-27-2012, 8:33 AM
I like the Pyrodex pellets for CB revolvers. Much easier than measuring loose powder.

tatso7
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
You can get BP revolvers, rifle ( modern or traditional ) pyrodex ( pellets or powder form0 Goex etc at Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamunga.

Eljay
01-27-2012, 9:28 PM
There is a restriction on having more than one pound of BP -- but, I'm not sure if that's a state or federal restriction.

State. Federal limit is 50.

Shotgun Willie
01-27-2012, 11:23 PM
You can get BP revolvers, rifle ( modern or traditional ) pyrodex ( pellets or powder form0 Goex etc at Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamunga.

Do they charge the haz fee if you buy it in store?

scrat
01-28-2012, 9:21 AM
no hazmat fee. depending on where you live. Say like im in the pasadena area. Angles Range sells BP at i believe 16.99 a lbs. However they only sell it if you intend to use it there. So i just buy a pound ever time i go and of course wind up with more of it. :) then they also sell caps there. I usually say screw it and buy a box of them instead of 1 of those round things. think its more like 1000 caps. So as long as they are supplied i am happy.