View Full Version : Arisaka value question...it's a 30-06

01-25-2012, 8:12 PM
I got this rifle in trade mainly because of the intact rear sight which I remember from some tv show. I was unsure about the 30-06 but I can load 4\5 150gr rounds in the internal mag well so I think it's 1 of the Korean conversions. It's missing the mum so I know that devalues it, but it has the yellowed metal which I think increases the value and the intact rear airplane sight. Whats it worth?

01-25-2012, 8:24 PM
Oh this is cool. I read about these T99 conversions by the US Army for the South Koreans. No idea what the value is but thanks for sharing.

01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
It's a 2nd Series Nagoya, so it's an early one, but the ground mum and mismatched bolt are big strikes against it for collecting.
I'm very hesitant to say that it's a Korean conversion. It might be but many Arisakas were converted after the war by shooters here in the US looking for a cheap deer gun. I've never handled one of the the conversions in person, but your example doesn't quite match what I've seen. Here is a link to the US manual:

I have shot a T99 in 30.06 and it was surprisingly accurate for a .30 cal bullet down a .303 barrel.

01-26-2012, 9:04 PM
There were many post WWII converters of all surplus bolt guns. Usually the commercial builders butchered the stock as well. I don't know anything about the Korean rebarrels, but yours looks refurbed vs home grown. The mismatched bolt would seem to indicate headspace was fitted and also the MUM "grind" looks more machined vs crudely filed. At the very least, any decent condition .30-06 bolt gun is worth $250, and a Korean twice that. I had an era T99 sport in an 06 coversion, which was more typical of the "craft" in the '50s & '60s. I wouldn't sell it unless I had to, but I'd buy one if the price was right. Is it for sale (I know I'm a whore)? The action is Naplam Bomb Proof. PAX

01-27-2012, 7:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

01-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Just found this link.

This is not a US Army conversion but a civilian post war conversion. The stamp "30-06" is what raised my eyebrow and the link's photo confirmed it. The US Army conversion used "US Cal 30" stamped on the side of the receiver.

But I have to say, this is one nice conversion. I'd buy it in a heart beat.