PDA

View Full Version : Bubba'd Argentine mauser

Mustang
01-25-2012, 5:58 PM
I got a Bubba'd 09 Argentine Mauser last month at an on-line auction. Thought I might be able to "re-mil" it, based on the auction pics and description. I thought it might need just a stock and furniture (which I have) and a straight bolt handle. Alas, such is not the case...barrel cut about 4", rechambered to 30.06. I've got a full length 09 barrel from Numerich..but gunsmithing will add significantly to the cost.

Crunch130
01-25-2012, 7:14 PM
Looks like guilt-free sporter material!

Mustang
01-25-2012, 7:26 PM
Yeah...I've got a full length 09 take off barrel from Numerich. But with the bolt turned down, this will never be right again. I've always wanted faux Argy and Persian snipers. Last year I glommed a Persian Mauser that someone had already done the dirty work on.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=484092

This might be a good candidate for the same treatment

big103
01-25-2012, 8:36 PM
Yeah looks like you will put more money into the gun then you get back out of it.

But it looks like it could be a great sporter in a real nice stock.

TRAP55
01-26-2012, 8:52 AM
Mustang, for Argy 09 parts, talk to Bob (aka gumsmith) on the Mauser Central forums. The 09 is his preferred rifle to custom build, and he has all kinds of takeoff military parts. I think he gives away more than he sells too. Tell him Trap him sent ya, he'll take care of you. :)

Mustang
01-26-2012, 9:01 AM
Hey, thanks old buddy. I'll contact him over on the MC forums. I'll mention your name...:)

CEDaytonaRydr
01-26-2012, 9:54 AM
But with the bolt turned down, this will never be right again.

It's not that hard to turn it back up. You will need a vice, a good hammer, some of that ceramic heat shield and a decent torch (even a "Mapp" gas torch should work).

Midway has a How-to video on youtube that would help.

6mmintl
01-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Just saw the same rifle/same caliber (pristeen bore) at Imbert and Smithers gun shop in San Carlos.

60's sporter?

Mustang
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
It's not that hard to turn it back up. You will need a vice, a good hammer, some of that ceramic heat shield and a decent torch (even a "Mapp" gas torch should work).

Midway has a How-to video on youtube that would help.

Thanks, Ryder, but this one is more than "turned down". Think I will need a new bolt body
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/grant729/027-4-1.jpg

Mustang
01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Just saw the same rifle/same caliber (pristeen bore) at Imbert and Smithers gun shop in San Carlos.

60's sporter?

Do you recall what they were asking for it?

CEDaytonaRydr
01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Ryder, but this one is more than "turned down". Think I will need a new bolt body
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/grant729/027-4-1.jpg

Are you worried about that part that they've filed off on the top of the bolt handle? Once you straighten the bolt handle, get a few strips of crocus cloth (used by machinists to grind/polish crankshafts) and do a "shoe-shining" motion, until it's round again. At that point, it might not be OEM specs but someone would need a micrometer and vast knowledge about the 1909 Mauser to notice.

I'm just sayin'; If your bolt is serialized and you want to keep it, it can be salvaged... ;)

ScottB
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I would sell the action and use the proceeds to buy a correct un-bubba'd one. I think at worst, you will come out even and may be money ahead by doing that, plus all the numbers will be correct, not just the reciever and bolt. I see original correct 09's in good shape relatively frequently on Gunbroker

I am (slowly) having a custom built from an '09 that was very similar to what you have. The amount of grinding on the top of the bolt is significan and won't just 'buff right out". If the bolt and reciever match, it would be a shame to unmatch them for a rebuild that will have little or no collector value (regardless of the bolt), but as-is is very desirable for a quality custom sporting rifle.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
The amount of grinding on the top of the bolt is significant and won't just 'buff right out". If the bolt and reciever match, it would be a shame to unmatch them for a rebuild that will have little or no collector value (regardless of the bolt), but as-is is very desirable for a quality custom sporting rifle.

I'm not suggesting he "buff" it out. I'm saying grind it back to round. Crocus paper is less like buffing and more like grinding. Given the alternative of switching to a mismatched bolt, it's worth a shot...

TRAP55
01-26-2012, 1:13 PM
I would sell the action and use the proceeds to buy a correct un-bubba'd one. I think at worst, you will come out even and may be money ahead by doing that, plus all the numbers will be correct, not just the reciever and bolt. I see original correct 09's in good shape relatively frequently on Gunbroker

Scott may have the best advice there. 09 Argy are the preferred action for custom builders, and just the price on an action alone, would probably put you in the ballpark for the price on a correct military issue.

tankerman
01-27-2012, 8:47 PM
The action is worth $350-400+, maybe more now. I sold one to a riflemaker for that much 8 or 9 years ago.

Customer riflemakers build safari guns out of 1909 actions.

Kinda wish I''d kept the action.

freonr22
01-27-2012, 9:38 PM
Shoot it?

ScottB
01-28-2012, 8:46 AM
Shoot it?

Not good shooters. They merely rechambered the military barrel and the bore of the 7.65 Argentine is slightly larger than .308 so the .30-06 rechambers are not very accurate. Besides, you can shoot a correct one too and I'd think that would be more enjoyable.

Personally, I think $350-$400 might be a bit strong for a stock action. They really require a lot of work. $200-$250 for the rifle as it is would be more realistic, but the OP is going to incur a lot of time and expense trying to recreate a military configuration and would end up with a bastardized rifle that would be worth no more than what he has now.

tankerman
01-28-2012, 9:16 AM
Not good shooters. They merely rechambered the military barrel and the bore of the 7.65 Argentine is slightly larger than .308 so the .30-06 rechambers are not very accurate. Besides, you can shoot a correct one too and I'd think that would be more enjoyable.

Personally, I think $350-$400 might be a bit strong for a stock action. They really require a lot of work. $200-$250 for the rifle as it is would be more realistic, but the OP is going to incur a lot of time and expense trying to recreate a military configuration and would end up with a bastardized rifle that would be worth no more than what he has now.

That's what I sold my action for.

Matching 1909 actions are desirable.

The rest of the gun is basically worthless.

Mustang
01-28-2012, 9:19 AM
I think there is a lot of wisdom in what has been said about trying to "restore" this back to military trim.

When I bid on it, I thought it had a full-length barrel still in the original caliber, and a turned down bolt. My thinking was that I could put it in an uncut stock that I already had, drill and tap it and turn it into a faux sniper. I wouldn't do that to a rifle still in military trim, but seeing this had a turned down bolt and cut stock, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Seeing that this will now need to be re-barreled for the project, not sure how much sense it makes anymore.

I have an 09 Argy in original military shape and it is an exceptionally fine and accurate shooter with handloads.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=100076

r3dn3ck
01-28-2012, 9:39 AM
where's ohod to gripe about the word "argy"?

ScottB
01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
That's what I sold my action for.

Matching 1909 actions are desirable.

The rest of the gun is basically worthless.

Not to start a pissing contest, but I bought a 09 much like the OP's for $175 last year and passed on a couple in the price range I mentioned (can't afford to do many of these). The cost of reworking the action has become substantial and may impact the price of the stock '09 actions, especially in light of available commercial alternatives such as the CZ Mausers that can also
be had in magnum lengths. I think I will be around $2K all in on my custom, including stock but excluding scope

Mustang
02-09-2012, 9:18 PM
Got to the range today and shot some of my recent acquisitions, including the 31.06 Argy. I was shooting factory Federal 150 and 180 Power Shok's. Rifle seemed to like both of them. But it was printing them high. I shot these 4 shot groups at 50 yards (they look like about 3 MOA). The hits were very high..I had to take a 6 o'clock hold on the small bottom target and hit the upper target. At 100 yards the rounds were going right over the target backer..

150 grain Federal PS's @ 50 yards:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/005-2-1-1.jpg

180 grain PS's @ 50 yards
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/006-1.jpg

Better than I expected, shooting .308 bullets thru a 7.65 barrel.

I've always had trouble with the Mauser inverted triangular sights, so not sure how much of the group dispersion I can blame on the sights.