PDA

View Full Version : Super Sniper scopes

rh3431
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
What have you guys heard about Super Sniper scopes? I've heard that the glass is clear, but my concern is how long will it last.

guimus
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I know it's your first post here, but the super sniper scope is discussed at least three or four times per week on this board. Up in the dark blue toolbar underneath your name you will see a button that says "search". It works pretty well and uses simple boolean operators. General consensus is that it's a decent, but not special scope, and no longer a super deal since the price went up.

recent threads containing the words "super sniper" (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=515202)

and these contain the one word "supersniper" (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=515217)

Rem1492
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
cant say how long, I have owned 2 10x for 3 years, I love them, they hold zero perfectly, are easy to adjust and take nicks, dents, wear and tear great.

I would say close to leupold for the price. Of course if you can afford a leu, get one.

1919_4_ME
03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Super Snipers are excellent scopes to use while your saving up for a Nightforce Scope...;)

Best place to buy a Super Sniper?
Right here:
http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx
:)

rh3431
03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys, and sorry for bring up the same topic again.

1919_4_ME
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
No worries,
Thats what this place is for.:D

tikifrei
03-22-2007, 5:45 AM
I agree with the above posters...if you can afford better get the better scope beacuse you save money buying once....if not then get the SS while saving up for a better scope. But then I am a bit of a scope snob. :)

EricCartmann
05-21-2007, 2:27 PM
Super Snipers are excellent scopes to use while your saving up for a Nightforce Scope...;)

+1!

I got to handle this baby!

If it is for a 16-18" gun it really is the best of all all worlds, CQB to medium range (300 yards, and possibly out to 600 if you know how to use the reticle)

This one is on my short list.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=482177&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=657

Jicko
05-21-2007, 4:31 PM
What have you guys heard about Super Sniper scopes? I've heard that the glass is clear, but my concern is how long will it last.

I've never heard about that brand, what is it? Is it evil? Will it make you a "super" sniper? :eek:

:D

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2007, 4:38 PM
When I go to FCSA matches, I carry a SS as a backup just in case one of my Nightforce NXSs fail. Every scope can and will fail on a BMG!

proraptor
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I love my super sniper....The only thing I would trade it for would be a US optics and that isnt happening anytime soon

ocabj
05-22-2007, 3:09 PM
Personally, I'd happily trade a Super Sniper for a Burris XTR or a Leupold MK4 if someone was willing to trade me for it.

6172crew
05-22-2007, 3:29 PM
Personally, I'd happily trade a Super Sniper for a Burris XTR or a Leupold MK4 if someone was willing to trade me for it.

I will add a Zeiss to that list for me. The Bushnell Elites are a bit more crisp imo but they arent a 30mm tube so you trade clearity for adjustments.

proraptor
05-22-2007, 3:32 PM

I guess you didnt understand what I meant....If I had to trade the scope out (as in buy) then it would be a US optics

schmud0811
05-22-2007, 8:00 PM
thier ok scopes for normal shooting, low light shooting not so much. but they are well priced and good for shooting targets n such and a great back up or starter scope.

6172crew
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I have 2 rifles that need glass and the Remmy LTR does ok with a SS but after looking at some of the Leupolds and Ziess stuff I want to change it out and get something that really spot my own stuff at 100yards but use my SS on the AR15.

The mildot is pretty busy for varmint but it will have to do..at least for another month....the Mk2 Leupolds are romured to be released Aug or so.:(

Prc329
05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/DSC00910.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/DSC00919.jpg

I like it so much I bought two. (sorry, saw an excuse to show my two favorite rifles :) )

They perform very well and will be able to do everything I need them to do till I can afford to buy a US Optics for the savage. The one I am looking at starts at $2500. With the cost of 308 and looking to get a Dillon still. It will be a while.

proraptor
05-23-2007, 9:12 AM
Yes his rifles are awesome.....They make me drool!

1919_4_ME
05-23-2007, 6:17 PM
Check out these Tactical scopes that Sportmansguide just got in.

6-24x42mm

Comes with:
30mm tube
Mildot recticle
Illuminated reticle
.50 bmg proof
Side adjusting parallax
Lens cover
Sunshade
Rings

Scope looks exactly like the Super Sniper.:eek:

All for $199
buyers club $179

Link:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=331888

wildcard
05-23-2007, 6:24 PM
Check out these Tactical scopes that Sportmansguide just got in.

6-24x42mm

Comes with:
30mm tube
Mildot recticle
Illuminated reticle
.50 bmg proof
Side adjusting parallax
Lens cover
Sunshade
Rings

Scope looks exactly like the Super Sniper.:eek:

All for $199
buyers club $179

Link:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=331888

Uhh.. looks nothing like a Super Sniper :rolleyes:

1919_4_ME
05-23-2007, 6:46 PM
Well ok not exactly but the turrets do resemble it a little.This is what happens when your on your 7th beer..:p

goldfinger
05-23-2007, 7:37 PM
it says barska on top

mrkubota
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I tried one of those for fun on one of my .50DTC rifles....
It lasted 3 rounds and wouldn't focus anymore.

Sent it back for replacement, and put the 'new' one on a Savage .223.
After a few rounds, the focus knob came loose and fell off....

Save your money....

1919_4_ME
05-26-2007, 6:15 PM
Ben,
Hey thanks for testing one for us,lol.:chris:

mrkubota
05-26-2007, 7:01 PM
Hey Rich! I like the new avatar logo!

You gonna do some shirts up with that pic?

//Ben

1919_4_ME
05-26-2007, 7:20 PM
Ben,
Yes I have a couple new designs that will be out very soon.But for now I have they Skull hats available.I'll bring a bunch to the shoot so you can check one out.:chris:

SKULL:
http://shoot1919a4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643

maxicon
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
It's a Barska. Their reputation is not very good, in general.

I wouldn't buy one. There are a lot better choices at $200, though not with the same features.

AJAX22
05-29-2007, 5:42 PM
Do you guys think one would hold up on top of a lightweight 91/30? I'm trying to figure out a cheap nifty optic setup for a project I'm working on, it needs to be able to take some decent abuse.

randy
06-06-2007, 4:02 AM
One of the orginal testers was a SF sniper instructor shooting it on a 300 Win. Mag. He liked it and said it held up, I don't remember how many rounds he put through it. If you are mounting it on something with lesser recoil I'd think it should be fine for quite some time. I've had mine mounted on a 308 PSS for quite some time but it does it's duty in the safe, I don't shoot it much.

Hot Brass
06-23-2007, 4:59 AM
A friend has a Barska 10-40x50? on a HEAVY BBL .223. Nice glass, time will tell.

proraptor
06-23-2007, 8:28 AM
My super sniper is working awsome on my savage 10FP in .308 no problems at all

xenophobe
06-24-2007, 4:55 PM
Sorry.... Barska=crap.

The super sniper has it's share of common problems, but overall quality is marginally acceptable. It's no steal for it's price, but hey, you only got $400 to spend and you want a scope with an appearance of being a heavy duty tactical scope, then it's your only real option. :p

proraptor
06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry.... Barska=crap.

The super sniper has it's share of common problems, but overall quality is marginally acceptable. It's no steal for it's price, but hey, you only got $400 to spend and you want a scope with an appearance of being a heavy duty tactical scope, then it's your only real option. :p

Super snipers are $299 and they are awesome....I still see you are mad that you paid more for a scope that doesnt make you shoot any better

bwiese
06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I still see you are mad that you paid more for a scope that doesnt make you shoot any better

Umm, scopes don't make you shoot better. I grant that you seem to be a good shot and your scope is working for you.

A scope's possible failure, however, does indeed make you shoot worse. Paying a bit more for avoiding that is worth it.

I'll trade optic quality (which the SS really doesn't have that much of, a Burris Fullfield II or Signature beats it hands-down) for integrity of the mechanics inside the tube.

Maintaining zero, and keeping windage vs. elevation adjustments separated, is what it's all about.

xrMike
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry.... Barska=crap.

Super snipers are $299 and they are awesome....I still see you are mad that you paid more for a scope that doesnt make you shoot any better

Don't make me stop this car! ;)

wildcard
06-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I've preached Super Snipers for awhile becaue they work great for the price. The place where I feel they lack is the glass clarity and quality control for the windage and elevation knobs.

For me, the scope has been used out to 1000 yds with no problems. I can certainly make out objects and targets at those distances with no problems.. but when using higher end scopes, the image is simply cleaner.

As for the elevation and elevation knobs.. my elevation knobs are perfect, but my windage knobs lack clean audible clicks. I know I can pop off the knob and change the o-rings, but it's not THAT bad. Also, if you toque down the set screws on the knobs after zeroing.. you can't make a small adjustment and retorque. Every time you torque down the set screws, it leaves a substantial conical pit/impression on the brass pole inside. So if you make only a small adjustment.. the set screws will simply fall back into the conical pit. Very annoying. I did come up with a fix for it though :) As far as adjustments go.. it has a wide range and returns to zero every time.

proraptor
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Umm, scopes don't make you shoot better. I grant that you seem to be a good shot and your scope is working for you.

A scope's possible failure, however, does indeed make you shoot worse. Paying a bit more for avoiding that is worth it.

I'll trade optic quality (which the SS really doesn't have that much of, a Burris Fullfield II or Signature beats it hands-down) for integrity of the mechanics inside the tube.

Maintaining zero, and keeping windage vs. elevation adjustments separated, is what it's all about.

My scope hasnt failed me, has kept zero, windage/elevation adjustments work great so why pay more? Explain that part again?

Prc329
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Wildcard, how did you fix that? The only issue I have with one of my scopes is I accidentally replaced the knobs about a half click. When I reposition it, it slides back to where it was before.

bwiese
06-25-2007, 12:52 PM
My scope hasnt failed me, has kept zero, windage/elevation adjustments work great so why pay more? Explain that part again?

Remember, you don't buy reliability, you buy *probabilities*. One of anything can be OK.

Yugos have been reliable cars for some subset of people.

And I can poop in a plate and it may, one time, turn out to provide extracted compounds to cure cancer.

Over the long run, however, neither of the above is a recommended goal for car purchasing or curing cancer.

We KNOW SSes fail more often because SWFA has a pretty high return rate and there are variety of reports of failures.

I am glad you are happy with yours. But I'm more than willing to spend more money for a scope than my rifle. My time is worth far more not having possibly dick around with a failed scope.

And I'd much rather have an IOR or Leupy or Kahles on a Savage (now there's an example of wise saving of money) than an SS or Tasco or Simmons on an HS Precision or AI rifle.

We'll just have to agree that CMMG makes great stuff :)

Prc329
06-25-2007, 1:14 PM
It all comes down to one thing for me. I could not afford a more expensive scope at the time. I would love to have a Nightforce or US Optics on my Savage (wonderful rifle) but t the time my budget for the complete rifle was $1200. The use of a Super Sniper after all the good things I read about them and experienced it was a no brainer.

This combination has helped me out shoot guys with rifles costing thousands more.

Should I have bit the bullet and saved another $1000+ for a scope I could give to my kids when I die? Sure. As it stands right now I am happy with the performance of my rifle and the Super Sniper.

I will say this though. My skill level is finally out growing the scope. The rifle I know is capable of a lot more but I believe that now the scope is becoming the limiting factor is my precision work. I may see if SWFA will take them in on exchange for something else.

It is hard to explain but it just seems like it is the scope is limiting my abilities just a tad on the savage. The AR that has one it is works beautifully. The one on my Savage does as well. It just seems to be holding me back. It is very difficult to explain but I need to start my US Optics fund.

wildcard
06-25-2007, 1:15 PM
Wildcard, how did you fix that? The only issue I have with one of my scopes is I accidentally replaced the knobs about a half click. When I reposition it, it slides back to where it was before.

Haha. And it's frustrating cause you do it a bunch of times and wonder what the heck is wrong because nothing changes! Here's what you do:

Zero your rifle
Unscrew the set screws
Pull off the knob
At this point you will notice the pits/impressions I am talking about
Mix up a little JB Weld
Apply the JB Weld with a toothpick and fill the holes.
Stretch out some dental floss and "cut" off the excess
Let dry
Put on the knob
Position to zero and retorque the set scews!

Just my own little fix.

proraptor
06-25-2007, 1:29 PM
If you guys are getting pits/impressions on the adjustment pillar then you are probably tightening the set screws too tight

wildcard
06-25-2007, 1:40 PM
If you guys are getting pits/impressions on the adjustment pillar then you are probably tightening the set screws too tight

Have you tried pulling off the knobs and looking at it? The only way the knobs are staying on there is because the SHARP set scews are digging into the soft brass post. You may perpahs be able to have smaller pits.. but they're there by design.

Prc329
06-25-2007, 1:43 PM
Yeah that is one of the only "problems" I heard about in the very beginning of my research. It is a design "feature". The screws are designed to dig into the brass to stay in place.

proraptor
06-25-2007, 1:50 PM
Ive pulled mine off a couple times re-zeroing and dont see any pits....HMMM

wildcard
06-25-2007, 1:55 PM
Ive pulled mine off a couple times re-zeroing and dont see any pits....HMMM

Hmm.. got the sharp set screws though?

xenophobe
06-25-2007, 2:46 PM

I've never owned one and I never will. I personally know 2 people that have blown out reticles on them more than once. Why do you think the .mil contract for them was never fulfilled?

I have met several others that have had the same problem while working at SJGE as well. It's a common problem. I don't buy gear with a high failure rate on purpose. That's your job. :p

proraptor
06-25-2007, 3:23 PM
I've never owned one and I never will. I personally know 2 people that have blown out reticles on them more than once. Why do you think the .mil contract for them was never fulfilled?

I have met several others that have had the same problem while working at SJGE as well. It's a common problem. I don't buy gear with a high failure rate on purpose. That's your job. :p

and Ill keep buying them saving a ton of money to buy other guns not to mention giving you and your leupold a run for its money at the range...

wildcard
06-25-2007, 3:58 PM
I smell a challenge coming on.. and I want in!

xenophobe
06-25-2007, 4:05 PM
and Ill keep buying them saving a ton of money to buy other guns not to mention giving you and your leupold a run for its money at the range...

Ya really think? lmao

proraptor
06-25-2007, 4:18 PM
I smell a challenge coming on.. and I want in!

You can really shoot.....I dont want any part of you......YET anyways! :)

Xenophobe - I dont think I know

xenophobe
06-25-2007, 5:10 PM
lol.... I'll shoot your rifle better than you. ;)

proraptor
06-25-2007, 6:56 PM
lol.... I'll shoot your rifle better than you. ;)

Ill shoot you when you are shooting my rifle :) .223 or slug your choice....I could just skin you with my new knife....Its pretty sharp

xenophobe
06-25-2007, 7:20 PM
I got a tough hide, so you might want to bring a sharpener with you. ;)

Mute
06-25-2007, 7:29 PM
I smell an internet viral video in the making.

Prc329
06-25-2007, 8:29 PM
Xeno, to bad you are in SF. If you were in Socal or Pro up there you could have a shoot off to see who is better with there setup.

five.five-six
06-25-2007, 9:11 PM
i just love these ss threads, they usaly go to blows... it is either the SS is the greatest scope ever made, or it is the bigest p.o.s. ever made... I have one, it is a nice value for the money. decent clarity, 30mm, +65moa elivation, turrets, mill dot and looks nice on an ar... it is quite a combination for $300.00 not the greatest, not the worst, just a good scope for the money

thomye
06-25-2007, 9:51 PM
i don't own one but plan on buying one. at the end of the day, i think it's a good scope for $300. it aint no NightForce but it also doesn't cost no $1600 either.

I will buy one so i can shoot my gun now and then save up for my nightforce.

better than binoculars ducktaped to your rifle. which by the way doesn't work too well.

mr2.0
06-28-2007, 1:08 AM
Don't buy supersniper, I had a 10x42M cost $400 not including sunshade, Butler cover. After 600 round on my AR the reticles tarted to cant to the left, about 10 degrees. The glass is okay, knobs are terrible. I just got the IOR tactical 16x42 and couldn't happier for an extra $350. SWFA has great cust service, I bought the IOR from them, but never again supersniper (pos)

proraptor
07-02-2007, 9:46 AM
i don't own one but plan on buying one. at the end of the day, i think it's a good scope for $300. it aint no NightForce but it also doesn't cost no $1600 either.

I will buy one so i can shoot my gun now and then save up for my nightforce.

better than binoculars ducktaped to your rifle. which by the way doesn't work too well.

Good choice....I have about 300 rounds of 168/175 grain .308 through mine and it works awesome...

rksimple
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
The Bushnell Elites arent a 30mm tube so you trade clearity for adjustments.

Not true. Even though the 3200 10x is a 1 inch tube, it has 100 moa of internal adjustment (as per their website). Mine has about 90 MOA. Thats more than a SS. For me, there is no difference in quality between the SS and the Bushnell 3200 10x. I've got about 4k rounds of 308 on mine and not a single problem. Getting it for $150 saved me another $150 over the SS so I could afford other goodies.

At this point for me, there's really no in-between. I'll either buy these bargain scopes or really high end ones. The Bushnell and SS are competent scopes that can provide excellent results for the shooter. I don't think they give up a lot to Leupolds, Burris, etc...I've beat plenty of guys that were using loopys and other high dollar scopes. These scopes give the beginner a way to get started without breaking the bank. And as you upgrade, they can be used as backups. My 3200 10x will be on my backup rifle when my IOR 3-18x gets here. Cant wait...:D

Prc329
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
From reviews I have read the super sniper has 152 moa of elevation(from top to bottom) and just over 147 windage.

rksimple
07-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, from further investigation, it looks like the SS has about 120 MOA internal adjustment. I stand corrected. Still, with plenty to get me to 1000 from a flat base, the Bushnell 3200 is more bang for the buck. It just doesn't look as cool.

proraptor
07-02-2007, 2:12 PM
I wont lie I was either going between the bushnell 3200 and the super sniper 10X and was swaying towards the bushnell....I went with the super sniper because everyone was praising them all over the net....Im pretty happy with my purchase but Im sure I would have been happy with the bushnell also...

bwiese
07-02-2007, 2:25 PM
My 3200 10x will be on my backup rifle when my IOR 3-18x gets here. Cant wait...:D

As for the IOR - now *that's* a friggin' scope! Enjoy!

DJDace
07-02-2007, 3:22 PM
As for the IOR - now *that's* a friggin' scope! Enjoy!

I LOVE my IOR 4-14x50mm scope. The glass is unbelivably clear, the reticle is sharp and the light transmission is second to none. I really liked the Leupold scopes I looked through, they are very nice scopes, but there is a marked difference in the glass quality between them and my IOR.

I am very happy that I took the advice of several posters both here and on the 6.5 Grendel boards and went that route. I was debating "settling" with a Super Sniper, rather than saving a little more for a higher end scope. I'm very pleased that I had the patience to wait longer, as I know now I wouldn't have been as happy with the quality difference.

I am sure the Super Sniper scopes function just fine and are more than adequate for the job. But after spending more than $1400 on my rifle, I figured it deserved a really exceptional scope to go with it.

From all the positive reviews I have read about SS scopes, I would definately purchase one for a long range rifle if I was putting together a rig on a tighter budget.

http://iammercy.net/dace/AR-15%20Project/IOR4-14x50mm002.JPG