PDA

View Full Version : German Mauser K98 hardwood vs Laminate stock

Raptor3000
01-25-2012, 9:13 AM
Hi Guys,

Which stock is better on German Mauser K98? hard wood or laminate?

I mean which is more preferred by collectors.

Thanks in advance.

captain_chau
01-25-2012, 9:15 AM
laminate is less susceptible to moisture and is a bit stronger

emcon5
01-25-2012, 9:16 AM

Hardwood is less common, but I would say collectors in general prefer the one that was on the rifle when it left the factory.

Raptor3000
01-25-2012, 9:20 AM
Hardwood is less common, but I would say collectors in general prefer the one that was on the rifle when it left the factory.

You mean collectors dont prefer hardwood much?

Thanks

emcon5
01-25-2012, 9:36 AM
You mean collectors dont prefer hardwood much?

Thanks

I mean less K98s left the factory with Hardood than Laminated, and some collectors look for less common configurations.

But I would say hardwood vs laminated is generally not as important as the rarity of the codes and markings, and that the stock and handguard numbers match the rifle.

Raptor3000
01-25-2012, 9:38 AM
whats a good source to know about markings and codes?

thanks

emcon5
01-25-2012, 9:40 AM
Here is a start, but I believe this info may be slightly dated.

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

rojocorsa
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
For collectors? The one that matches the rifle.

For shooters? Doesn't really matter, but laminate is technically better.

mauser98k
01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
the Germans switched from walnut stocks to laminated beech in 1939. after that year, it is very uncommon to find a walnut stock.

so hardwood stocks are less common, and on early and pre war rifles, that is more desirable for collectors.

Russian captures are a mix of parts and stocks so that doesn't matter, but if you have a rifle brought back by a veteran, it better have the right stock

OpenSightsOnly
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Collecting is like team sports.

There are folks that go for pre-war, mid-war, and late-war.

Go to gunboards and you'll see the research/discussion about the 98k.

Hi Guys,

Which stock is better on German Mauser K98? hard wood or laminate?

Thanks in advance.

rojocorsa
01-25-2012, 3:25 PM
the Germans switched from walnut stocks to laminated beech in 1939. after that year, it is very uncommon to find a walnut stock.

so hardwood stocks are less common, and on early and pre war rifles, that is more desirable for collectors.

Russian captures are a mix of parts and stocks so that doesn't matter, but if you have a rifle brought back by a veteran, it better have the right stock

I thought all those German laminate stocks were oak?

TRAP55
01-25-2012, 3:40 PM
Nope, Beech. They started using solid Beech stocks in 1917 on the GEW 98's because walnut was getting scarce.
In 1929 they started experimenting with Beech laminate stocks. The early laminates used a white glue that had problems coming apart with moisture. Someone here on the forum has a nice example they posted some pics of, and the first one I've ever seen. Not many survived the war.
The "red" color you see in the 98K stocks is the epoxy glue they changed to. In 1940 the red glue laminate stocks were the standard issue.

rojocorsa
01-25-2012, 6:30 PM
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

brianm767
01-25-2012, 8:02 PM
To me laminate looks better, but I prefer what ever the rifle ( receiver ) by manufacture and date that it should have on it, my K98 had a flat butt hardwood stock, but I swapped it out with a correct cupped butt laminate. Really doesn't matter since it's an RC but that's the way I roll.

rojocorsa
01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
IMHO, the early war laminate, flat plate, and H-band combo + hood looks the coolest.

OpenSightsOnly
01-26-2012, 8:04 AM
^^

That sounds like the 98k that I used to have lol!

rojocorsa
01-26-2012, 9:53 AM
^^

That sounds like the 98k that I used to have lol!

I was about to buy a 147 1940 Sauer actually, but then a K-31 for $120 less made its way into the picture. They brought me to the darkside, and they have cookies there.

If/when I do get a Mauser, I still want one to look like that!

FeelthySanchez
10-14-2012, 2:59 PM
.... The early laminates used a white glue that had problems coming apart with moisture. The "red" color you see in the 98K stocks is the epoxy glue they changed to. In 1940 the red glue laminate stocks were the standard issue.

That's ***-backwards: white glue lams were a latewar expedient, & then only utilized by a couple armories. Red glue lams are the norm & vastly more common, first appearing in '38.

TRAP55
10-14-2012, 7:39 PM
Your reading comprehension is ***-backwards.
As I stated, white glue laminates predate red glue laminates by a decade. By 1940 both solid wood stocks, and white glue stocks were no longer produced, because all the factories had now gone to red glue laminate.
This was done because solid wood for the stocks was in short supply, laminates were stronger, and it was found that the white glue laminate stocks were prone to de-laminating. That's why early examples are so rare to come by.
Near the end of the war, our B-17's had severely damaged the German factories and railways, and the red epoxy glue was in short supply. The white glue was again pressed into service by the dou and bnz factories in limited numbers as a stopgap measure.
You will very rarely see one on a Russian Captured rifle, because the Russians knew of the problem too, and trash canned them during the re-arsenal process.
You will sometimes find them on post war French built Mausers, as they used up what they had on hand.

FeelthySanchez
10-15-2012, 6:53 AM
.... white glue laminates predate red glue laminates by a decade. By 1940 both solid wood stocks, and white glue stocks were no longer produced, because all the factories had now gone to red glue laminate .....

Another f-in' genius here !!

Suggest that you return to German K98k Mauser 101, & stay awake this time - as white glue lams didn't exist until '44. Pay attention & learn that new production WWII K98k stocks were (from early-late) either:
1) solid walnut
2) red glue laminated beech
3) solid elm
4) white glue laminated beech
Any other mat'l (ie solid beech, etc) will be either a WWI Gewh98 rework, or not German.

Then:
a) get over yerself
b) find a cure for that bad case of keyboard diahhrea

CDFingers
10-15-2012, 9:16 AM
Collectors at least must have one of each.

CDFingers

TRAP55
10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice introduction for yourself.
Since you wish to be the self appointed professor of German K98k Mauser 101, why don't you educate us all, and be sure to back it up with your sources.

FeelthySanchez
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
'Nuther dork added to the trusty ol' Ignore List .....

Cessnapilot89
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I have read similar to what Trap is saying in one of the K98 books.

Side note, who resurrected this dead thread any way?

SKSer45
10-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice introduction for yourself.
Since you wish to be the self appointed professor of German K98k Mauser 101, why don't you educate us all, and be sure to back it up with your sources.

psssh I know right. Who is this bum coming up on here acting like he is special? hahah. Making friends fast aren't we Mr. Sanchez?

emcon5
10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I have read similar to what Trap is saying in one of the K98 books.

Side note, who resurrected this dead thread any way?

The guy belligerently insisting his wrong answer is correct.

And to avoid any confusion, it wasn't Trap.

Cessnapilot89
10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
SKSer45! Where have you been? Wound up with something you'd like.

Cessnapilot89
10-15-2012, 12:38 PM
The guy belligerently insisting his wrong answer is correct.

And to avoid any confusion, it wasn't Trap.

Aye, had no thought that it was Trap.

TRAP55
10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
So that's all you can come up with? weak....real weak.
Typical keyboard commando, spout FUD, name calling, and insults, but no sources, then tuck tail and run. I'm disappointed, I was so looking forward to you enlightening us with your profound knowledge, that none us have been deemed to possess.

rojocorsa
10-15-2012, 1:07 PM
Don't talk **** about TRAP 55!

emcon5
10-15-2012, 1:08 PM
So that's all you can come up with? weak....real weak.
Typical keyboard commando, spout FUD, name calling, and insults, but no sources, then tuck tail and run. I'm disappointed, I was so looking forward to you enlightening us with your profound knowledge, that none us have been deemed to possess.

Quoting in case he actually did ignore you.

TRAP55
10-15-2012, 1:17 PM
Dang, my internet feelings are hurt now.:)

SKSer45
10-15-2012, 1:55 PM
been in a plastic bubble as I contracted walking pneumonia but I will be god damned some bum comes on here and starts talking **** about 98ks and the people who know about them. Hell no.

TRAP55
10-15-2012, 2:11 PM
been in a plastic bubble as I contracted walking pneumonia
That's nothing to mess with, take your meds like the doc says and get well! I've missed you stirring the pot around here.:)

mosinnagantm9130
10-15-2012, 3:04 PM

Then:
a) get over yerself
b) find a cure for that bad case of keyboard diahhrea

Given his excellent vocabulary, as displayed in his first sentence, I lol'd :rofl:

This just keeps on getting better :rofl2:

http://www.danielyerelian.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

FeelthySanchez
10-15-2012, 4:25 PM
Def a lot of refugees/veterans from WAF & MSA forums here.

Cessnapilot89
10-15-2012, 5:57 PM
:lurk5: