PDA

View Full Version : DC gun law changes?

guimus
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know if there have been any actual changes in DC gun laws? I've searched the web and not really come up with anything definitive.

I've just found out that I got into Georgetown Law, and there's a decent chance that I'll end up going (which means selling/closing my businesses, wife quitting her job, and lots of other drama, so it's not certain yet.)

If we live in DC, can I keep my OLL's? Can I configure them "as they were meant to be"? Mosins? .22's? What about handgunds...everything I see still says that I had to have it registered to me in '76 (two years before I was born.)

Is there a good resource on the web for such questions?

Should we just move to Virginia, get CCW's, and take out massive student loans for all sorts of fun NFA stuff?

tgriffin
03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
if i remember correctly DC is looking into an appeal on the ruling. I believe that the chief LEO has stated that until a final determination of what DC is doing, the current laws shall be enforced. Again, this is just what i remember from other threads.

Alan Block
03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
My guess is that DC will change the law before the SCOTUS gets this (if they lose the En Banc appeal) to avoid having go before the high court. But that is months if not years away.

Matt C
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
IMO no one who goes to grad school at george town lives in DC, it's a garbage hole for the most part. It will also probably take you longer to get to georgetown from most parts of DC (SW/SE) than from just across the river in VA (an open carry state). Live in VA unless you want to get killed and your wife violated, then DC is a good choice. I'm NOT exagerating, DC is the scummiest place in the country. I worked there for three years and was shot at twice. You can't go to the grocery store with someone sizing you up for a robbery or trying to sell you drugs (usually the same guy...). Horrible place. Are you getting the picture?

Librarian
03-21-2007, 1:30 PM
Does anyone know if there have been any actual changes in DC gun laws?
No changes yet - probably years away
I've just found out that I got into Georgetown LawCongrats; we need more pro-gun lawyers If we live in DC, can I keep my OLL's? ...etcmy guess: no Is there a good resource on the web for such questions?No
Should we just move to Virginia, get CCW's, and take out massive student loans for all sorts of fun NFA stuff?ABSOLUTELY!!

Well, the move to Virginia part, anyway.

395 is probably awful and parking around the school probably difficult; the Judiciary Square Metro station is just a couple of blocks away from GLaw. I'm a BART rider here, when I can be, and many years ago we visited DC and rode the Metro quite happily and efficiently.

Virginia Fairfax is the farthest out metro station in VA; Orange line, change to Red line to JS station. $3.70 each way, 38 minutes, according to their schedule. Parking at the VA metro station is $3.75 all day.

hoffmang
03-21-2007, 1:53 PM
The walk from Metro to GW is a pain too...

You will probably shortly be able to register a handgun and have it in your residence. You would have to keep rifles or shotguns unloaded, disassembled, and locked up still.

-Gene

cartman
03-21-2007, 9:09 PM
The walk from Metro to GW is a pain too...

You will probably shortly be able to register a handgun and have it in your residence. You would have to keep rifles or shotguns unloaded, disassembled, and locked up still.

-Gene

I know your on point about the legalities about 99% of the time but in the majority writing the judge said that we had the right to defend ourselfs by keeping a gun in our homes. Wouldn't that apply to shotguns kept in the home for selfdefense? Its safer then a pistol in some respects.

M. Sage
03-21-2007, 9:13 PM
I know your on point about the legalities about 99% of the time but in the majority writing the judge said that we had the right to defend ourselfs by keeping a gun in our homes. Wouldn't that apply to shotguns kept in the home for selfdefense? Its safer then a pistol in some respects.

No, because DC is going to keep enforcing the illegal law, regardless of the fact it's been struck down.

In other words, it'd be legal, but they'd still arrest you and punish you as if it's not.

hoffmang
03-21-2007, 9:20 PM
cartman,

I was shooting from the hip but you may be correct. Let me go check the requested relief by the plaintiffs.

Back in a quick read.

-Gene

hoffmang
03-21-2007, 9:46 PM
Ok, here it is.

cartman is correct. You will be able to store all of your firearms in useable fashion inside your home in DC.

See "Prayer for Relief" on page 8 of the original complaint:
http://www.gurapossessky.com/documents/complaint.pdf

That Prayer will take effect in the next couple of weeks unless the City appeals for en-banc review and asks for a stay. I expect they will but there is a chance they will not. You'll hear about it here or on most any other gun related blog or website. If the DC loses the en-banc (and I expect they will), this Prayer will generally become good law as getting a Cert grant from Scotus generally will not have a stay associated, so while cert is applied for and should they take it, SCOTUS is reviewing, the Prayer will be in effect.

To the naysayers that say DC will still try to enforce it, that's a broad injunction that protects all citizens of DC and would lead to contempt and get out of jail free cards for anyone accused in violation of the injuction.

-Gene

FreedomIsNotFree
03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Ok, here it is.

cartman is correct. You will be able to store all of your firearms in useable fashion inside your home in DC.

That Prayer will take effect in the next couple of weeks unless the City appeals for en-banc review and asks for a stay. I expect they will but there is a chance they will not. You'll hear about it here or on most any other gun related blog or website. If the DC loses the en-banc (and I expect they will), this Prayer will generally become good law as getting a Cert grant from Scotus generally will not have a stay associated, so while cert is applied for and should they take it, SCOTUS is reviewing, the Prayer will be in effect.

To the naysayers that say DC will still try to enforce it, that's a broad injunction that protects all citizens of DC and would lead to contempt and get out of jail free cards for anyone accused in violation of the injuction.

-Gene

Thats on the criminal side. We dont even need to get into the civil implications if the injuction is violated. Correct me if I am wrong, but LEO's lose their veil of civil protection when they violate the law. Not only can the departments themselves be held liable, but also the Officer(s) personally.

I'm sure an attorney could have field day with that.

guimus
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I do suppose I would know a few decent attorneys! Thanks for the info so far folks.

SunshineGlocker
03-21-2007, 10:49 PM

I was wondering about the details of what would happen. That makes sense. The court said "you can have handguns", and there's no reason for a stay to make plaintifs wait for appeals to be exhausted, which will take years. Cool! I guess by the end of April DC residents will be allowed to be armed.

Now someone needs to start a CCW movement in DC. Sounds like they need it, badly.

M. Sage
03-22-2007, 6:13 AM
Ok, here it is.

-Gene

I stand corrected. I just remember the DC mayor and CLEO standing there and saying "we'll still be enforcing this, it's still on the books, and we'll fight this in the meantime." I forgot that they're politicians... I know better. Sorry about that. :p

What are the odds that DC would accept a contempt charge and hope an appeal plays out in their favor?

hoffmang
03-22-2007, 9:51 AM
Unless this is stayed (which it probably will be while the Circuit decides whether they are hearing it en-banc), even DC isn't brain dead enough to bring charges against folks who possess normal firearms in their homes.

-Gene