PDA

View Full Version : Mosin on the horizon ATF charge hit my card

TacticalSenior
01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I decided to purchase a Mosin Nagant. As I explored doing a purchase I found out I could apply for a 03 FFL for $30 and then buy the Mosin over the Internet. Big 5 Sports wanted ~ $230 locally here in San Mateo. I have been checking my AmEx activity online and today I saw this:

Doing Business As: ATF LICENSING CENTER
Merchant Address: 99 NEW YORK AVE NE
ROOM 4N 564
WASHINGTON
DC
UNITED STATES

A good start and I hope it goes through smoothly from here. If it does I should have the Mosin in April just when the weather starts getting better in Los Altos! :)

af240z
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
wait a couple of weeks, mosins at big 5 usually go on sale for $120 every 3 weeks or so if you want to get one from big5 still.

advantage of big 5: inspect mosin in person
disadvantage: $25 dros fee, tax, 10 day waiting period

rojocorsa
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
I decided to purchase a Mosin Nagant. As I explored doing a purchase I found out I could apply for a 03 FFL for $30 and then buy the Mosin over the Internet. Big 5 Sports wanted ~ $230 locally here in San Mateo. I have been checking my AmEx activity online and today I saw this:

ROOM 4N 564
WASHINGTON
DC
UNITED STATES

A good start and I hope it goes through smoothly from here. If it does I should have the Mosin in April just when the weather starts getting better in Los Altos! :)

Howdy neighbour.

I just wanted to let you know that you can find some real Gems at Big 5 sometimes. Some members here have picked up triple marked MO rifles (which are more collectable than the normal ones).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284655_1449509615294_1759851430_692835_2748145_n.j pg

The one on the left and the one in the middle were purchased at Big 5. The first one is a '39 pre-war Tula, and the second one is my '31 ex-dragoon hex receiver.

RED VASQUEZ
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
:eek: Mosin Nagants going for $230?!! I bought mine for $99 last (2010) christmas. At this rate Im going to have to get an FFL just to support my habit!

rojocorsa
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
:eek: Mosin Nagants going for $230?!! I bought mine for $99 last (2010) christmas. At this rate Im going to have to get an FFL just to support my habit!

No, that's the just the price @ Big 5 when they're not on sale.

TheExpertish
01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Big 5 has some good stuff, sometimes. Yeah, you have to wait till they go on sale. You could always buy one from me as well. (Shameless plug pointing to my sig line.)

finloq
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
The problem with Big 5 is the help. It's hit or miss as to wether you get somebody who knows or cares anything.
In my early days of collecting, I bought an M38 from them. I arrived after 10 days to pick it up and as they were pulling it they discovered that they had missed a serial number on my register receipt. No problem with any of the DROS or other paperwork, just their register receipt (like a supermarket receipt). I got to wait for 28 minutes while they decided if they were going to have to DROS me again and make me wait another 10days. I pointed out that none of the BATF paperwork was in error, none of the Big 5 paperwork was in error; the teenage cashier just key-stroke errored on a machine who's print out is not a legal document (as far as BATF is concerned). Heck! The receipt even abbreviated the type of firearm being purchased. After almost 30 minutes they just re-rang the transaction on their cash register, they didn't know why, they just couldn't get ahold of any senior manager.
That was the most attentive servive that I have ever received at Big 5...and I still don't know what outcome was scarier: their lack of knowledge of their product creating a huge hassle for their customers or their letting a firearm walk out the door when they don't know if it's legal.
I feel for the kids, they tried and were very apologetic, but...

littlejake
01-24-2012, 2:16 PM

ROOM 4N 564
WASHINGTON
DC
UNITED STATES

You'll probably have your license in hand within 4 weeks of them hitting your credit card. A recent application took 28 days post credit card and that included holidays. ATF is processing rather quickly. Your license will likely arrive in the mail a week before an information package arrives. Remember to make copies of your original license and only sign copies. You should start getting prepared by making or buying a boundbook. The license form was revised October 2011. In addition to the signature block is a place to print your name, date your signature and your position/title -- that would be collector.

Kindest Regards,

Jake

bloodhawke83
01-24-2012, 4:22 PM
same here, just waiting for the papers to come in.

h0use
01-24-2012, 4:27 PM
get a coe and there is no 10day wait

littlejake
01-24-2012, 4:38 PM
get a coe and there is no 10day wait

Don't expect the same speed from the state. They're at least 6 weeks processing the COE. I made the mistake of letting mine expire. After 12 months expiration, you have to start from scratch with livescan prints and the whole 9 yards.

TheExpertish
01-24-2012, 4:50 PM
Don't expect the same speed from the state. Their at least 6 weeks processing the COE. I made the mistake of letting mine expire. After 12 months expiration, you have to start from scratch with livescan prints and the whole 9 yards.

That sucks. I'm on week 5 now. Good to know.