PDA

View Full Version : SKS- Re Blue, Parkerize or...?

BigStiCK
01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey all,
Just picked up a Russian 1954 Tula SKS. I'd like to get the metal bits looking good. I'm assuming the original finish was bluing- yes/no? Its gonna be a shooter & get well used in my Run'N'Guns so i'm not too worried about authenticity. Would it be bad joojoo to have it parkerized ala an M1 Garand?

Howz about getting it professionally Duracoated or something similar?

Any good places near San Diego to have this done?

Thoughts? Am I a scumbag for doing this to a Russky?

-Stick

SKSer45
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
hmmm let's see some pictures of it first. Its a Russian...sooo ehhh....next time grab a yugo or chinese and go to town on it.

echo1
01-24-2012, 6:18 PM
It's your rig, do as you may. If you're not concerned for any devaluation that may incure, it still will never be worth less than is is today. But Russians are special and they'll be no more (SKSs) coming into the country. Is it matching numbers including the funiture? Do some home work and try it yourself. Or would you like to trade it for something less sacraligous. I myself believe in restoration for a shooter. Let's see some before and after. PAX

SideWinder11
01-24-2012, 9:12 PM
I say leave it alone but it's your rifle

mosinnagantm9130
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
I say leave it alone but it's your rifle

This.^^

0321jarhead
01-25-2012, 8:12 AM
hmmm let's see some pictures of it first. Its a Russian...sooo ehhh....next time grab a yugo or chinese and go to town on it.

Totally agree here. The Russian SKS in ten years will likely be more expensive to buy. Yah, the Yugo and Chinese will be up in price as well as everything else but, there will likely be less Russians on the market. Like today the Romanian and Albanian SKS are slowly evaporating. If you get hold of a Chi-com/Norinco SKS, you can give it a sex change. They are a dime a dozen.

0321jarhead
01-25-2012, 8:13 AM
:useless:Hey all,
Just picked up a Russian 1954 Tula SKS. I'd like to get the metal bits looking good. I'm assuming the original finish was bluing- yes/no? Its gonna be a shooter & get well used in my Run'N'Guns so i'm not too worried about authenticity. Would it be bad joojoo to have it parkerized ala an M1 Garand?

Howz about getting it professionally Duracoated or something similar?

Any good places near San Diego to have this done?

Thoughts? Am I a scumbag for doing this to a Russky?

-Stick

C&Rtrader
01-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I am sure someone here would trade you a romanian one for it!

it your gun, do as you please.

0321jarhead
01-25-2012, 3:44 PM
I am sure someone here would trade you a romanian one for it!

it your gun, do as you please.

Even the Romanian SKS is getting tougher to find these days. But, the Roms were pretty easy to get about 10-15 years ago.

BigStiCK
01-26-2012, 9:58 PM
:useless:

Roger That...

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l548/Acropilot/IMG_3448.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l548/Acropilot/IMG_3446.jpg

The more I look at her, the more I like her the way she is. She's still gonna be a shooter tho...
:13:

-Stick

echo1
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
You'll be happier in the long run, and have money to buy more bulk ammo if, you don't mess with it. PAX