PDA

View Full Version : How much Ammo?

Vetteodyssey
01-23-2012, 8:27 PM
I've seen several posts and read the FAQ and some say 400+ to 500+ for the event and one said 500 per day. How much is typical for a two day shoot?

Eljay
01-23-2012, 9:54 PM
It seems to vary a bit by region, what kind of drills they do, etc. But here's my estimate.

Saturday - there's a lot of instruction compared to shooting. Shoot 5 rounds, look at target, assemble for explanation of next step, shoot another five rounds. Figure a couple of hundred rounds.

Sunday - there's some review but basically you're going to be shooting AQT targets, @ 40 rounds each, plus a red coat target to start and end the day # 13 rounds each. We shot 7 AQT targets. I've seen references to anywhere from 5-8 depending on what other drills they do, etc. etc. So that implies on a Sunday if you shot 8 x 40 + the redcoats it would be about 350 rounds, but it could be less (we would have done 310).

So I think that gives some idea. Frankly if you're shooting .22 I'd bring a brick of 500 for Saturday, and then just grab a fresh brick for Sunday. If you're shooting something heavier bring as much as you're willing to carry - I'm thinking about bringing a Garand next time and I'll bring one more ammo can than I think I need but will just leave it in the trunk unless I'm running low.

PurplePeople
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Of the shoots I've done, the lowest round count that I recall was in the low 400s and highest around 600. The low count was a bunch of largely new shooters. The high count was a small bunch of mostly experienced shooters who got through 10 AQTs. (I don't think anyone was crazy enough to shoot all of those, though. It's perfectly fine to sit out a round for R&R.)

Some folks bring out their rimfire for Saturday and the centerfire for Sunday. There's always a chance to sight in another rife on Sunday AM, if you want to try that approach.

Eljay
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Ten, wow! I thought we were cranking at seven, but it was a pretty big group.

PurplePeople
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Ten, wow! I thought we were cranking at seven, but it was a pretty big group.

To be fair, two of those were rapid rife AQTs, 40 rounds in 4 minutes.