PDA

View Full Version : Employees Conceal Carry?

islandviewent
01-23-2012, 9:24 AM
Is it legal for employees of a gun store to conceal carry? The way I understood it was yes, as long as they stay out of public areas and they have permission from the property owner. I have recently had someone tell me this was untrue. I am going to look through the pcs any help would be appreciated.

tenpercentfirearms
01-23-2012, 9:25 AM
Anyone can carry concealed on private property. I also believe you can open carry on private property with owner permission as well, but don't quote me on that.

The next time you see this person, take your knife out and carve FUD on their forehead.

12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

12026. (a) Section 12025 shall not apply to or affect any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, who carries, either openly or concealed, anywhere within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(b) No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting the application of Section 12031.

islandviewent
01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks Wes! Can you pm me your # again I have a few questions I wanted to bounce off of you.

tenpercentfirearms
01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Wes! Can you pm me your # again I have a few questions I wanted to bounce off of you.

No I cannot. I don't PM. So I will e-mail! :)

Librarian
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Is it legal for employees of a gun store to conceal carry? The way I understood it was yes, as long as they stay out of public areas and they have permission from the property owner. I have recently had someone tell me this was untrue. I am going to look through the pcs any help would be appreciated.

Penal Code isn't very helpful.

The trick is, in a business, what is 'public' for purposes of 25400 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25400.html) (concealed) and 25850 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25850.html) (loaded)?

See the wiki http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Unlicensed_Concealed_Carry

dirtyJ
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
We always considered the parking lot as public, and behind the doors as private. It got weird when the roll up door was open, as that opened the back to a "public" moniker. Good news was that the PD didn't care haha.

Librarian
01-23-2012, 1:45 PM
Good news was that the PD didn't care.
For gun stores, anecdotes suggest this is pretty much always the case.

But it's risky, IMHO, to base a policy on anecdotes. Just how risky is not really known in this case.