PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Colt SAA exempt to certified list???

Hilldweller
01-23-2012, 8:56 AM
I have a 1971 Colt SAA for sale and received a PM with the following statement:

The person was hoping I would change my mind on shipping (I want FTF/PPT) and wrote: "Doesn't need PPT as its under curio/relic and single action revolver exceptions to certified list."

Is there a single action revolver exception to the "certified list" - whatever that is....even for a 1971 pistol?

I thought this pistol was just like any other and, in order to sell it, you had to do a standard FTF/PPT in California.

Anyone with insight on this??

r3dn3ck
01-23-2012, 9:07 AM
single action revolvers don't have to be on the roster. If they did then the whole converting off-roster S&W DA revolvers to SAO would not be a useful exercise but many have done it to get the off-roster wheelguns.

ship the gun and make a friend

Hilldweller
01-23-2012, 9:14 AM
So, You're saying I can sell the pistol without a FTF PPT?

Still has to be shipped FFL to FFL right?

Now I'm really confused. So what if it's "off roster", it's a handgun and I REALLY thought those all had to be FTF PPT.

I'm a private party, not a FFL, and have only dealt with FTF PPT's when selling my handguns.

rromeo
01-23-2012, 9:34 AM
Still has to be shipped to an FFL. Single action revolvers over 7.5" overall and with at least 3" barrel are exempt from the roster restrictions.
Therefore,these guns will fail a drop test but do not need to be drop tested.

TheExpertish
01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
I have a 1971 Colt SAA for sale and received a PM with the following statement:

The person was hoping I would change my mind on shipping (I want FTF/PPT) and wrote: "Doesn't need PPT as its under curio/relic and single action revolver exceptions to certified list."

Is there a single action revolver exception to the "certified list" - whatever that is....even for a 1971 pistol?

I thought this pistol was just like any other and, in order to sell it, you had to do a standard FTF/PPT in California.

Anyone with insight on this??

Your Colt Centennial is on the ATF C&R list so you don't have to worry about a FTF transfer. Being on the C&R list is the same as if the gun was 50 years old and is exempt from the roster. Just have to ship to a knowledgeable FFL who knows what they're getting.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
...Now I'm really confused. So what if it's "off roster", it's a handgun and I REALLY thought those all had to be FTF PPT.

The only reason some handguns have to be FTF PPT is because of the Roster. A handgun must either be on the Roster or exempt from the Roster if you want to ship it to an FFL in California for transfer. Your Colt is exempt from the Roster.

12voltguy
01-27-2012, 1:06 PM
single action revolvers don't have to be on the roster. If they did then the whole converting off-roster S&W DA revolvers to SAO would not be a useful exercise but many have done it to get the off-roster wheelguns.

ship the gun and make a friend

the reson saa's are not rostered........
gun group A threw gun group B under the bus:mad:

Munk
01-27-2012, 5:11 PM
Still has to be shipped to an FFL. Single action revolvers over 7.5" overall and with at least 3" barrel are exempt from the roster restrictions.
Therefore,these guns will fail a drop test but do not need to be drop tested.

You forgot the 5 or more round capacity part.

So sad... and true.

Quiet
01-27-2012, 10:25 PM

It's a shinning example of what happens when "pro-gun" groups only look out for their own interests and not the big picture.

rromeo
01-29-2012, 9:48 AM
It's a shinning example of what happens when "pro-gun" groups only look out for their own interests and not the big picture.

I wish people from other states would realize this.