PDA

View Full Version : How much to reblue a S&W no. 3

Emdawg
01-22-2012, 9:14 PM
Does anyone know how much it would be to reblue and clean up an antique S&W no. 3 revolver?

I am not concerned with ruining a collecting value as it really needs help.

Anyone....:confused:

El Gato
01-22-2012, 9:17 PM
vey often even the very rough guns have substantial value....substantial...

you might have Smith (roy jinks I think) do a letter on it before you have someone hack on it...

and maybe at the same time ask smith about refinish...

the ONLY people I would let touch it would be

Turnbull...

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

seriously...

when they restore a gun, it will often increase in value as opposed to someone rounding off the letters etc....
and if your gun has historic value... it belonged to say Sontag and/or Evans the train robbers... and you find that out cause smith sent it directly to them...then touching it with a stinking bluing tank will in fact...

FREAKING TANK THE VALUE....

or perhaps I have been unclear...

you know what you MIGHT have...and even rusted etc.. a few letters and a few dollars for a factory letter might be prudent...

take some advice from someone who has seen guns that "had no value so i reblued it with my home rebluing kit and my dad's buffer"...go from historically significant to a historical footnote...like the matched pair of merwin and hulbert's with holsters and belt...for instance...

spencerk
01-22-2012, 9:22 PM
just replied to your thread in the gunsmithing forum.

Emdawg
01-22-2012, 9:24 PM
As a collector I know the risk to value when cleaning up antiques, but this thing made me sad.

The metal looks as if it will give you a sliver of steel if you were to hold it.

Also, I would like to fire it and it seems to function well, but I wouldn't trust dealing with it without some type of refinish or other fix.

I do not plan on rebluing it right away, and I probably will run its serial numbers through and dig around in top of that, but if it turns out to be nothing then I will gladly pay the money to have it professionaly refinished.

El Gato
01-22-2012, 9:44 PM
As a collector I know the risk to value when cleaning up antiques, but this thing made me sad.

The metal looks as if it will give you a sliver of steel if you were to hold it.

Also, I would like to fire it and it seems to function well, but I wouldn't trust dealing with it without some type of refinish or other fix.

I do not plan on rebluing it right away, and I probably will run its serial numbers through and dig around in top of that, but if it turns out to be nothing then I will gladly pay the money to have it professionaly refinished.

talk to Turnbull...not cheap..but it will increase the value of the thing...
nice folks and maybe send it for a quote... he does amazing work.. my model P is absolutley stunning..the fire blue accents are amazing...now if I could find someone to make me an IWB for it i could carry it with pride, well, and a set of ivory stocks... but i got to figure out how to sell one of my kids for medical experiments, and since they are all adults, that might be troublesome...maybe sell my own blood plasma.....:rolleyes: