PDA

View Full Version : A liddle treek, eef she don' run

Mike A
01-22-2012, 7:54 PM
I am very far from a gunsmith. But I seem to often end up with guns that are complete as far as anybody can see, but just don't work. "Something is stuck." Sometimes it is a toplever on a break action shotgun. Sometimes it is the bolt on a bolt action rifle or the lever on a lever action. Sometimes it's the cylinder on a revolver that just won't open. You get the picture.

The one trick that I have learned that unsticks the majority of "stuck" gun parts is to squirt penetrating oil (I use Kroil) onto and into a "stuck" area that has been pre-warmed with a hair dryer. The warm metal seems to draw the oil into areas where it might not otherwise penetrate and "unstick" parts that are stuck together with the Goop of the Ages.

Before I found out about hair dryers (i.e. got married), I used all kinds of ways to heat the receiver or whatever needed heating. Some of them were "questionable"--possibly dangerous to gun or gunner or both. But a hair dryer just doesn't seem to get metal hot enough to cook off a stuck round or damage stock finish if the heat is directed to the metal, not the wood.

If you try this, make sure that you position the oiled area so the oil doesn't run into the interior of the gunstock if you can do that. Oil soaking weakens wood over time and can make the inletted areas soft and spongy. Not good under recoil forces....

If you got a gun that is "stuck," try this before bringing out that ol' BFH. After my "cleansing oil C&R spa treatment," you can probably get away with a IKEA rubber mallet!

TheExpertish
01-22-2012, 8:29 PM
Good tips. Fortunately I haven't had a need for these tactics yet.

Flyin Brian
01-23-2012, 1:11 PM
It's amazing what a little heat can do to metal. I just received another Finnish M/28-30 last week and these models have an aluminum sleeve on the barrel toward the muzzle to allow the barrel to float freely in the stock as the barrel heats up. A lot of these sleeves end up stuck to the barrel and are difficult to free since they are made of very soft alloy. I cleaned the cosmoline out of the edge and applied some Kroil and let it sit a few hours. Then I used my Black & Decker heat gun to warm the sleeve and it came loose in just a few minutes. I cleaned all the crud out and lightly sanded the area the sleeve sits on and it works great now :D