PDA

View Full Version : Makarov Grip extension question answered!

aghauler
01-22-2012, 2:14 PM
After some indepth research on another Forum I found out that the Bersa floor plates work with very little modification if any neededthey also fit the PA63. North American Arms, Provo, Utah www.northamericanarms.com
part number MZ-FPK. Currently out of stock but this gives us a headsup to what to look for, there maybe other resources. So the hunt begins! :)

CEDaytonaRydr
01-24-2012, 1:29 AM
I dunno....

My Mak feels okay like it is. I'd like to get some quality grips for it, like Houge or Pachmayr but other than that, it feels okay.

aghauler
01-24-2012, 3:40 PM
That's great to have the pistol work for you as is, nothing wrong with that!

I have issues with pistol grips that "aren't quite long enough" to feel comfortable. So I checked on a Makarov Forum and the grip extensions were highly spoken of there. I've tried the original grips, thumb rest grips and the Pearce grips. Although the Pearce grips might work with a magazine extension, I've had issues with the magazine falling out after every shot with the Pearce grips installed. Found that the grip screw that came with the Pearce grips is .002 shorter that an original screw. I found that the magazine stayed in if the Pearce grip screw wasn't screwed in to any depth. That is what led me to check the screw length. I'm going to try again with the longer screw in place see if that works. I'll try a mag with an extension in place. If that's doen't work this pistol is going down the road. As a note the magazine extensions are cheaper to buy directly from Pearce than from Midway or Brownells.

Sampachi
01-24-2012, 8:02 PM
Be careful with the grip screw. I've actually dented the back of a magazine from tightening the screw all the way. Might be the reason that the Pearce grip screw is a little shorter than standard.

JAGGUY
01-25-2012, 7:56 AM
I had no problem with the Pearce grip other than it being too bulky. After trying out several different grips for my Makarov I ended up with a standard black East German grip. Ended up being different enough and narrow enough to fit my hand perfectly.

aghauler
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Be careful with the grip screw. I've actually dented the back of a magazine from tightening the screw all the way. Might be the reason that the Pearce grip screw is a little shorter than standard.

Good point! I know I don't need to tighten the screw all the way in, I'd be happy with just a turn or two to secure the grip. Even with just a slight 1/2 turn with the Pearce screw the mag was falling out so I have to try the GI screw just to see if it works. I was able to pickup several like new GI (theirs not ours:)) magazines so I've got a few to experiment with. They all behaved the same with the Pearce grip and screw. Disconnect the screw the mag stays in but the grips are loose. When the bottoms show up I'll get to the range to try them out and report what happens. I may have my new Bersa by then anyway.

aghauler
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I had no problem with the Pearce grip other than it being too bulky. After trying out several different grips for my Makarov I ended up with a standard black East German grip. Ended up being different enough and narrow enough to fit my hand perfectly.

The regular Makarov grip may work fine with the grip extension, I'll be trying all the combinations I've got to see if I can get one that works for me.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-25-2012, 1:09 PM
I will say that with the new loads I just worked up, the Mak does have a bit more "bite" to it. I was using 3.8gr of WW231 under 95gr XTPs. The recoil sensation was definitely more of a pop than I'm used to.

aghauler
01-25-2012, 3:19 PM
The Pearce Grip extensions just arrived from Brownells. They slide right on in place of the regular base plate. As noted on a Makarov Forum, making a hole for the spring to click into isn't necessary has they slide on snugly. A very slight amount of the upper edge may have to be sanded off to fit into the mag well. This was also noted on the Makarov Forum but some need to be fitted some don't apparently. Brownells has them for $9.35 / pair if you have an FFL on file with them, plus 5.95 USPS 1st class. I placed the order 2 days ago and they are here already! I'll also try the original grips as this extension maybe all the pistol needs to be a little more comfortable.

Datamancer
01-26-2012, 1:15 PM
Do you have a link to the one you bought?

-~D~-

aghauler
01-26-2012, 7:08 PM
Try this

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1373/Product/SEMI-AUTO-GRIP-EXTENSION

Mine came in a package of 2 each unit priced $9.35 plus $5.95 Fist Class mail from IA to CA in 2 days!

I've only changed out one base plate it took a couple of minutes with some med sandpaper to get it to freely fit in the frame. I won't get to the range for awhile, I think. Scroll down to part# 092-000-020.