PDA

View Full Version : Cousin?

Ron-Solo
01-22-2012, 1:01 PM
Does a cousin count for an interfamilial transfer from out of state on an off roster handgun. (Beretta 950BS)

My guess is no, but I coldnt find a definitive answer.

NapaCountyShooter
01-22-2012, 1:05 PM
No. Must be father/mother, grandfather/grandmother/ son/daughter/ direct descendants only.
If your cousin wants to come here and ppt it to you, that's a different story. Regular cap mag laws apply.

Ron-Solo
01-22-2012, 1:17 PM
Thanks. That's what I thought. She's moving here but doesn't want to bring them on the plane with her. The others are all single action or C&R.

Got to work on her to pack them in her luggage.

paul0660
01-22-2012, 1:25 PM
If you share a living grandparent, you can do some intrafamilal stuff.

brianm767
01-22-2012, 3:45 PM
If your cousin wants to come here and ppt it to you, that's a different story. Regular cap mag laws apply.

He said off roster, so even if cousin comes here, he still can't transfer it, unless it went as a single shot exemption, no PPT between parties of different states so it has be be a dealer transfer so in that case it has to be roster approved or exempt due to SSE, or receiver/purchaser has to be exempt.

paul0660
01-22-2012, 3:49 PM
He said off roster, so even if cousin comes here, he still can't transfer it, unless it went as a single shot exemption, no PPT between parties of different states so it has be be a dealer transfer so in that case it has to be roster approved or exempt due to SSE, or receiver/purchaser has to be exempt.

She's moving here

I am not sure what would be easiest.

Ron-Solo
01-22-2012, 7:38 PM
Thanks guys. The required grandparents are all deceased, so that is not an option.

I'm trying to get her to just mail them to herself, then we can do a face to face once she gets her Ca ID. That also avoids the 1in30 issues. She doesn't drive, so she won't be getting a DL. She's just a little intimidated by it all. A local gun store where she now lives offered to "take them off her hands" for a quarter of what they are worth.

Fortunately, two of them are single action revolvers and one is C&R. The other is a Beretta .25 ACP in excellent condition.

Regards,

Ron

Its4pla
01-22-2012, 10:28 PM
if she is moving here, isn't she bring her stuff? Or she she bring all her belongings on the airplane. Just put the guns with here other stuff in the moving truck. then she can Get California ID card.

paul0660
01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
if she is moving here, isn't she bring her stuff? Or she she bring all her belongings on the airplane. Just put the guns with here other stuff in the moving truck. then she can Get California ID card.

She's just a little intimidated by it all.

I don't blame her. Good luck.

Librarian
01-22-2012, 10:49 PM
A. She can mail the guns to herself, if she doesn't want to carry them. Handguns have to go UPS or FedEx overnight (maybe 2nd day air works), call ahead. I think long guns can go ground UPS or FedEx (cheaper), and maybe they can even go US postal service (way cheaper), but check those.

As applied, this doesn't work. Not because it's illegal - it's perfectly fine with the Feds and California both - but because the silly people at FedEx and UPS now require, by their business rules, that an FFL be either the source or destination of a handgun shipment.

Munk
01-22-2012, 11:52 PM
The easiest way to look at the intrafamilial exemption I found was: Is it a directly Vertical relationship on the family tree?

Directly upwards you have parents and grandparents, but aunts, and uncles are off to the side, as are brothers and sisters, while cousins are even farther off to the side.

jgraham7897
01-23-2012, 5:42 AM
The easiest way to look at the intrafamilial exemption I found was: Is it a directly Vertical relationship on the family tree?

Directly upwards you have parents and grandparents, but aunts, and uncles are off to the side, as are brothers and sisters, while cousins are even farther off to the side.

I don't understand the no brother/sister in this since you occupy the same spot in the flow. I know, I know, it is CA.

Munk
01-23-2012, 9:50 AM
You don't occupy the same spot in the flow, they are separate branches coming from the same trunk of your parents...

Every child is a new branch coming from the union of the parents; 3 children, 3 branches. They may be at the same height, but they're beside you, connected to the same trunk.

The only person who might occupy the same spot is a conjoined twin. lol.