PDA

View Full Version : OK. Which safe?

roushstage2
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I've looked, looked and looked. I think I've got the top three choices that 1. I can easily afford and 2. will fit in my smaller upstairs apartment.

1. Centurion 22-Gun safe from Lowes- $727 but I should be able to get it down to ~$585 with coupons.
http://low.es/AtLUAg

2. Winchester 24-Gun safe from Costco- $500

3. Cannon 24-Gun safe from Tractor Supply Co.- $600
http://bit.ly/ximzQE

I feel the Centurion and Cannon are the best of the three. They both have a lifetime warranty (though I'm not sure how the Centurion warranty compares in "completeness" and seemingly awesomeness of the Cannon warranty). They both have good mechanical locks vs. the cheaper electronic lock of the Winchester. The Cannon has an interior power/internet panel. The Centurion weighs 20 lbs more than the Cannon (though, 20 lbs isn't exactly a lot), but the Cannon "holds" 2 more guns.

Lowe's is 20 minutes away. The nearest TSC is an hour away. I'm not sure if that TSC has the Cannon either, as it is only in select stores. Assuming the Cannon can be found in under a 2 hour drive as I wouldn't mind making it if the Cannon would be the better option, what safe should I get? I've seemingly self ruled-out the Winchester, but perhaps there is something I've overlooked?

EDIT: The Winchester safe only has a 1 year warranty on the safe itself, and nothing else. You can pay to have a longer warranty for the workmanship/materials of the safe. That is still it in regards to the warranty of that safe.

zinfull
01-22-2012, 2:35 PM
At the picks offered choose the pretty one. Not that much difference.

jerry

Qckrun
01-22-2012, 2:38 PM
Which Costco has the winchester in the greater Sac area? I found the $299 one but it's dinky.

roushstage2
01-22-2012, 6:13 PM
At the picks offered choose the pretty one. Not that much difference.

jerry
There seem to be large differences in warranties though, so I guess pick the one with the best warranty?
Which Costco has the winchester in the greater Sac area? I found the $299 one but it's dinky.
Dunno. Figured one would have it.
EDIT: Double checked. There's another local retailer that carries the same safe, and price matches. I suppose worst case, I'll go that route.

Blue Ridge Reef
01-22-2012, 6:28 PM
Costco often has great sales on Cannon, Rhino, and Bighorn safes. They are cheaper delivered than Tractor Supply was to pick up in-store. Check out their site, if one you want isn't on sale, it will be.

roushstage2
01-22-2012, 6:55 PM
Costco doesn't have any safes that are near these prices, at least, what I can see online. The Bighorn goes back up to mid-$700 at the end of this month from the $570 it's on sale for...before I get my tax return as my employer absolutely refuses to mail them before required by law. These are 3 safes that are normally this price, and fit through my front door. :)

turboeg2
01-22-2012, 7:03 PM

Sacramento does not have the winchester safe right now I talk to the manager and they said it was inactive meaning that they might get it might not but I google the safe and that model was discontinued. So I went with the bighorn one thats on sale

WWDHD?
01-23-2012, 1:01 AM
I know a couple of guys who own the Liberty Centurion safes. They seem to like them just fine.
I know one guy who owns the Winchester safe. He seems to like it ok.
Very unscientific, but thats all I know about these. Don't know anything about the Cannon.
Costco usually has a different safe on sale every month (often Bighorn, not a bad safe BTW).
Which interior do you like best? Also, keep in mind that internal hinges usually only allow about 90 degrees opening or so. External hinges usually allow close to full opening. I'd avoid the digital locks but thats just my opinion. Lots of folks dig 'em though. good luck.

llamatrnr
01-23-2012, 8:26 AM
Costco doesn't have any safes that are near these prices, at least, what I can see online. The Bighorn goes back up to mid-$700 at the end of this month from the $570 it's on sale for...before I get my tax return as my employer absolutely refuses to mail them before required by law. These are 3 safes that are normally this price, and fit through my front door. :)

Be patient; the Costco safes go on sake regularly . . .

jonc
01-23-2012, 8:32 AM
whatevers the biggest....
everyone runs out of room sooner or later:facepalm:!!!

sunwelding
01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
We recommend going with a safe thats 100% made in a America, the ones listed above are imported from China. Only the paint and hardware are put on here in America that's how the price is kept down so low. Our Renegade series are comparable in price to the safes listed above. The Renegade comes in 2 sizes RS30 $799 60h"X30w"X20d" or the RS36 $959 60h"X36w"X28d" it has 3/16 solid steel door and 12 gauge solid steel door, comes with your choice of a dial or digital lock and 30 min fire rating. & of course our are made 100% in America in our shop in Southern California.

We will also be attending the Costa Mesa Gun Show this Saturday and Sunday Jan 28th & 29th. We will have safes on display and special Gun Show Pricing.

To see our full product line go to www.sunweldingsafes.com or call direct at 805-584-6678

Saym14
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Got my cannon safe from Costco and love it

Audredger
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
None of the above!

roushstage2
01-23-2012, 2:25 PM
whatevers the biggest....
everyone runs out of room sooner or later:facepalm:!!!
I've only got 5 long guns at the moment. I figured a 24-gun safe would suffice for a while. I'm not buying guns once a month...
We recommend going with a safe thats 100% made in a America, the ones listed above are imported from China. Only the paint and hardware are put on here in America that's how the price is kept down so low. Our Renegade series are comparable in price to the safes listed above. The Renegade comes in 2 sizes RS30 $799 60h"X30w"X20d" or the RS36 $959 60h"X36w"X28d" it has 3/16 solid steel door and 12 gauge solid steel door, comes with your choice of a dial or digital lock and 30 min fire rating. & of course our are made 100% in America in our shop in Southern California.

We will also be attending the Costa Mesa Gun Show this Saturday and Sunday Jan 28th & 29th. We will have safes on display and special Gun Show Pricing.

To see our full product line go to www.sunweldingsafes.com or call direct at 805-584-6678
Out of my price range by a few hundred dollars, probably even more so after shipping, but thanks.
None of the above!
Helpful advice...

Be patient; the Costco safes go on sake regularly . . .
In the price range I need and better options than what I've got? The BigHorn is on sale for $200 off, so currently it's the same price as the others I've listed and the specs of the safe itself are the same as the others. I don't mean that as a "really?" kind of question. I don't have a Costco membership, nor do I frequent their site, so I don't know what they have/offer.

Sunday
01-23-2012, 4:36 PM
Read up on what makes a good safe [Google] learn the ratings of the safe then buy a made in USA safe there is a difference in security. Also I bought my first safe in 1987 and it is one of the best things I ever bought as far as value over time . A safe makes it harder for someone take the items in the safe no 100% guarantee!!!. but I feel better when I leave home. Cheap safes can be broken open in little time. High quality safes are much harder to break into 'cept by a true professional. I am not associated to any safe manufacture or store that sells safes I am retired mechanic but I own 2 safes.

Blue Ridge Reef
01-23-2012, 4:42 PM
I've only got 5 long guns at the moment. I figured a 24-gun safe would suffice for a while. I'm not buying guns once a month...

Oh, and one thing about those "24 gun safes..." I seriously doubt you could fit 24 unscoped Ruger 10/22 Youth Models in one. I have the Bighorn from Costco, and it's on par with my shooting buddy's Centurion (which isn't nearly as nice, not even close) in the storage regard. I have 15 long guns and two don't fit. :facepalm: Anything with a scope takes up about 2.5 to 3 slots. Anything over 2 1/4 inches at it's widest point takes up 2.

roushstage2
01-23-2012, 9:19 PM
Read up on what makes a good safe [Google] learn the ratings of the safe then buy a made in USA safe there is a difference in security. Also I bought my first safe in 1987 and it is one of the best things I ever bought as far as value over time . A safe makes it harder for someone take the items in the safe no 100% guarantee!!!. but I feel better when I leave home. Cheap safes can be broken open is little time. High quality safes are much harder to break into cept by a true professional. I am not associated to any safe manufacture or store that sells safes I am retired mechanic but I own 2 safes.Buying a Made in USA safe is easier said than done for me. There's quite a jump in price that I cannot afford at present. I can afford and fit into my apartment what I posted, and nothing more. If I had a couple of grand and the space, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm trying to get the best budget safe that I can. Any decent safe is going to be better than what I've got right now (which is not any sort of locked cabinet or safe). Cannon will repair/replace the safe after a burglary attack, amongst other things. They've got to believe in their product a bit to offer something like that, no?

Oh, and one thing about those "24 gun safes..." I seriously doubt you could fit 24 unscoped Ruger 10/22 Youth Models in one. I have the Bighorn from Costco, and it's on par with my shooting buddy's Centurion (which isn't nearly as nice, not even close) in the storage regard. I have 15 long guns and two don't fit. :facepalm: Anything with a scope takes up about 2.5 to 3 slots. Anything over 2 1/4 inches at it's widest point takes up 2.I've got the 5 long guns, and 3 of them were gifted to me. I figure I'll probably get a new gun about once a year for the time being, until I get a better job. I figure even if the 24 gun only holds 12 for whatever reason, I've still got some time before I run out of space.

WWDHD?
01-24-2012, 1:34 AM
Living in a rental and on a tight budget is the issue here, not buy a bigger/better safe than the ones listed. The important thing is to keep your guns locked up and out of the hands of kids or thieves. Get what you can afford now and someday when funds and your housing situation is different then buy a better safe. You can always sell this safe latter (probably to someone you know) or keep it for storing ammo. Thats what I did. Had a decent steel gun locker in my apartment and them bought a Sturdy safe latter on when I got my own house. Still use the locker for ammo and other stuff. The Sturdy is all guns.

crazychinaman
01-24-2012, 6:09 AM
I say buy the best and the biggest one you can afford.Stay away from Winchester they are made in China.Try to got to a gun show.They have the best deals.You will be surprised how fast they get filled up with camera,jewerly,documents,etc.I started with one small safe .Sold that one and ended up buying two big safes.They both are now stuffed.

TheExpertish
01-24-2012, 9:14 AM

I'll be calling you guys. Looked over your site and I'm much rather give my money to a family business here in CA, and produces here.

roushstage2
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I was looking at the Sun Welding Safes again, but the RS30 only holds 9 long guns. You can pay to upgrade the interior and it will hold "around 18." I'd have to look at an upgraded RS36 to be on par storage wise, which would be over $1,000, plus ~$150 for shipping.

stangman86gt
01-24-2012, 1:22 PM
much rather give my money to a family business here in CA, and produces here.

Then look at sturdysafe.com 7ga body, can't even fit a dime in between the gaps on my door. Make sure you send in a online quote request for the size you are looking for, because if you live in cali it will most likely be cheaper than the price on the website.

Gryff
01-24-2012, 1:57 PM
Something I like about the Cannon is that the warranty covers pick-up and return shipping. Those fees are not chump change should the rare chance occur that it has to be shipped to the factory for repair.

Sunday
01-24-2012, 6:59 PM
I think 2 smaller safes are better than 1 big one, It spreads out the goodies. Get which ever safe you can afford as it will be way better than none but make sure the safe is bolted to the floor as it makes the safe harder to pry the door open .

roushstage2
01-24-2012, 9:21 PM
It seems the Cannon is the "duh" choice out of the three thus far, though, I cannot drill into the floor in my apartment. Doubt I'd hit anything worthwhile anyways.

If I saved up another $200 or so, is there anything better than the Cannon I have picked out thus far?

rotary
01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
What does the Sun Welding "Lifetime Warranty" cover?

roushstage2
02-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Brought home the Cannon today! It looked smaller in the store, lol. Just fit through the door, and getting it up the stairs...phew!

biogenic
02-25-2012, 11:12 PM
What are the chances of someone stealing a whole safe? Do you guys bolt them down?

roushstage2
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
I've got nowhere to bolt it down, though I'm really not worried about it. Where I live, even smash and grabs are very uncommon. They are usually headline news around here when they happen. The safe is going to the farthest place away from the one door that leads outside to the stairs, that it just fits through.

stangman86gt
02-25-2012, 11:41 PM
What are the chances of someone stealing a whole safe? Do you guys bolt them down?

just two people can easily get a 700lbs safe out of the house and into a pickup truck in a couple of minutes if it isn't bolted down...and none of those safes are even that heavy...so...

VetteBill
02-26-2012, 6:35 AM
Is there any structural issues to be concerned with if placing a 750 LB safe in an up stairs bedroom?

Corbin Dallas
02-26-2012, 7:51 AM
None of the above!

Right with you.

Call a professional safe company and get one to fit your budget.

I'm partial to Cannon.

roushstage2
02-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Right with you.

Call a professional safe company and get one to fit your budget.

I'm partial to Cannon.
...and get one that couldn't hold half of my guns? That would have been an intelligent move.
EDIT: I really should stop getting online after work; not in the best of moods at the time. I don't mean to sound the way I do. I had a budget and space limitation, so I went with what I was able to. No, I didn't get the largest one available, but it works better than having them all in individual cases stacked up in the corner.

The Cannon may not be a custom, one-off, hand-built safe, but it does the job and has a lifetime warranty. :)

NytWolf
02-27-2012, 7:46 AM
I voted Cannon, because I have one of their products, and I like it.

IMO, you don't get the good safes with Liberty until you start spending into the 1000's. The cheaper models ... well, they just feel cheap.

Dollar for dollar, I would take the Cannon over the Liberty any day.