PDA

View Full Version : CMP low on 30-06?

Moress
01-21-2012, 9:02 PM
I went to go buy a case of 30-06 from the CMP, the ones that come on clips for like $96, but it says they are sold out. Is the CMP running out of 30-06? I read somewhere that they had LOT's of ammo stocked up.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/relatedsales.htm

kmrtnsn
01-21-2012, 9:25 PM
The are clearing out the loose Greek, then supposedly some spam cans will be made available. To answer the other quesiton, yes, surplus 30-06 isn't going to be around for ever.

microwaveguy
01-21-2012, 9:26 PM
The CMP is only selling the 30-06 loose right now ( No Garand clips )

Orest was saying it might be 18 - 24 months before clipped ammo is available again. That will also be the time where they maybe getting down to the last warehouse or two of ammo.

Thomas1190
01-21-2012, 9:32 PM
According to Orest they have tons of the loose packed stuff. Theres not very much of the clipped stuff though. I think Orest or someone said even if they were to limit the clipped ammo to one can per customer it would probably last a month, if that.

TRICKSTER
01-21-2012, 9:37 PM
If you need some, order the loose HXP. I ordered some Thursday afternoon and it shipped the next day.

Moress
01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Hmm, im just worried how long the ammo will last before I need to start reloading lol

gotshotgun?
01-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Cmp ammo at $.50 a round = buy as much as you can now!

fatfreadiescat
01-21-2012, 11:24 PM
It's been for sale for five years, and now your worried about it running out.

pro-nra
01-22-2012, 12:01 AM
True but remember they quit making this stuff decades ago and thousands of rounds are fired daily. People said the same thing about the abundant USGI (LC, TW, SL, FA, WRA etc). Try to find some now at under $0.75/round.

rojocorsa
01-22-2012, 1:14 AM
True but remember they quit making this stuff decades ago and thousands of rounds are fired daily. People said the same thing about the abundant USGI (LC, TW, SL, FA, WRA etc). Try to find some now at under $0.75/round.

I've never in my life seen USGI surplus ammo.

Didn't even know there was such a thing, and ditto for 7x57 or 6.5x55.

Orlando
01-22-2012, 6:24 AM

Wasnt that long ago CMP had USGI Lake City M2ball, USGI 7.62X51 and USGI Armor piercing 30.06

Pete1979
01-22-2012, 8:51 AM

We used to buy 30 cal ammo cans full of LC ball/ap mix form a local store for about $79 but that had to be almost 15 years ago. At the time, a pristine swedish mauser (they had a rack full of long and short ones) ran about $189

Eljay
01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Every time we hear more about the spam can supply the smaller it sounds. I'd definitely stock up on the loose and start collecting brass, and then when they announce the spam cans pretty much grab everything they'll allow. There's already commercial rounds out there, and those makers will presumably gear up once the demand increases, but it's unlikely to be cheap...

If you need clips there are a bunch of people selling them, or if you run into somebody shooting Garands at the range they might just give you a couple.

pro-nra
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Yep it was available and I'm sitting on almost 15K of LC, TW, SL, FA, WRA, DM, DEN, RA and about 10K of HXP & AMA. I guess you must not have been around the MilSurp bobby for as long as some people. Back in the 80s they were available for pennies but have dried up.

You need to stock up on loose HXP now and when the spam cans becomes avaialble, load up to the CMP limit. HXPs are good shooting ammo especially the early 60s headstamp.

rojocorsa
01-22-2012, 1:43 PM
Yep it was available and I'm sitting on almost 15K of LC, TW, SL, FA, WRA, DM, DEN, RA and about 10K of HXP & AMA. I guess you must not have been around the MilSurp bobby for as long as some people. Back in the 80s they were available for pennies but have dried up.

You need to stock up on loose HXP now and when the spam cans becomes avaialble, load up to the CMP limit. HXPs are good shooting ammo especially the early 60s headstamp.

Mind you, I'm turning 20 this year--just to give an idea of how old I am.

When I was old enough to buy guns, I entered the decline of milsurps, and it's really sad.

I mean, I just can't get excited about Remchesters and stuff like that. They're not the same.

vwynn
01-22-2012, 1:50 PM
the greek ammo in enblocs suck anways.

feeding is horrible.

ammo is fine though.

pro-nra
01-22-2012, 4:18 PM
Mind you, I'm turning 20 this year--just to give an idea of how old I am.

When I was old enough to buy guns, I entered the decline of milsurps, and it's really sad.

I figures you are a youngster that has not been around the MilSurp for a while like some people on this forum. I'm glad to see younger folks getting into MilSurp.

the greek ammo in enblocs suck anways.

feeding is horrible.

ammo is fine though.

Your information is totally wrong! That horrible en blocks are the French made SF (Serini France) that came with the HXP 80. Most are associated with premature clip ejection.

The USGI clips that came with the 60s HXP are the best mainly (SA, WRA, BR, BW, BRW, ACE, AGE, IS etc) and even the other Europen clips (JMO, L&H, BMZ etc) that came with the 70s HXPs were good clips as well.

rojocorsa
01-22-2012, 6:27 PM
I figures you are a youngster that has not been around the MilSurp for a while like some people on this forum. I'm glad to see younger folks getting into MilSurp.

Most modern guns are just not that interesting. I'm also more and more convinced that the older is better made as well.