PDA

View Full Version : Is the FFL legally wrong for this?

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
So a long story short I had a local gun shop ship my Glock back to glock to have the frame,barrel,etc. replaced and they were to receive it back from glock and DROS it back to me. So I called glock and got the tracking number for the package. Turns out some guy who runs the travel agency next door to the FFL recieved my gun. They were out of town at the SHOT show and assured me that it was perfectly safe for this guy to be in possession until Monday when they can get together to receive all their packages from him.
Maybe I'm crazy but it seems to me that it should not be legal For a non FFL to be in possession of my gun. Among others no doubt.

Any info / advice would be appreciated

CSACANNONEER
01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
I want to know why you even bothered to use a FFL to ship your gun to Glock or to reciever your gun from Glock. The whole thing can be legally done without the use a any FFL. Also, why would you need to reDROS your own gun? So, the CRAZY part is that you used a FFL in te first place. But, I don't think there is any legal problem here. It sounds like the other shop is acting as the FFL's agent or just part of the chain of shipping. You do realize that common carriers don't have FFLs either, don't you?

tenpercentfirearms
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
The FFL still hasn't received the package. The dude next store is just in the chain of its way to you. I would be much more concerned about the UPS guy having your gun than the businessman next door that your dealer clearly trusts.

The alternative is to have it sitting at a UPS/FED EX/USPS facility for a week where their stolen handgun rate is much, much higher. Another option is it doesn't get picked up in time and gets shipped back to Glock and then Glock takes a few weeks to resend it again.

My advice (since you asked for it), chill out. You are way too high strung.

ArmyMedicMoose
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I want to know why you even bothered to use a FFL to ship your gun to Glock or to reciever your gun from Glock. The whole thing can be legally done without the use a any FFL. Also, why would you need to reDROS your own gun? So, the CRAZY part is that you used a FFL in te first place. But, I don't think there is any legal problem here. It sounds like the other shop is acting as the FFL's agent or just part of the chain of shipping. You do realize that common carriers don't have FFLs either, don't you?

If your read the first line you'll understand "Glock back to glock to have the frame,barrel,etc. replaced" If the Serial number changes it has to go thru a FFL and re DROS.

CSACANNONEER
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
If your read the first line you'll understand "Glock back to glock to have the frame,barrel,etc. replaced" If the Serial number changes it has to go thru a FFL and re DROS.

Whoops, I missed the "frame replaced" thing. Must be an interesting story behind this.

ElvenSoul
01-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Really 3 years ago I had a XD sent back and frame replaced. They where able to transfer the old serial # to a new frame.

paul0660
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Whoops, I missed the "frame replaced" thing. Must be an interesting story behind this.

Maybe it looked like this, and won't buff out:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2435/glock21kb1sh.jpg

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I guess the general consensus here is that I am over reacting. Maybe I am.
It does seem crazy on one hand that a guy could be in possession of LEO only magazines/guns legally without a liscence. On the other hand completely normal as in the courier having it. I guess it is easy to associate a job like a courier carrying packages and a travel agent receiving them for someone else as not his job.

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 12:13 PM

It definately wasn't anything like that. It had a series of cracks extending from the trigger slot in the frame a every corner.

paul0660
01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
It definately wasn't anything like that. It had a series of cracks extending from the trigger slot in the frame a every corner.

You mean YET. :o

I would not be comfortable with what has happened to your box either.

CSACANNONEER
01-21-2012, 12:49 PM

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

But, I thought Glocks were indestructible???:p How did it get cracked?

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Yea expert marketing.
Do a little looking around. There are more people with broken glocks than you think.
Not to mention the "upgrade" recall they did with the e series

CSACANNONEER
01-21-2012, 1:14 PM
Yea expert marketing.
Do a little looking around. There are more people with broken glocks than you think.
Not to mention the "upgrade" recall they did with the e series

Oh, I know. While I own one, I've never been a big fan. So, why did your's develop cracks?

Bobshouse
01-21-2012, 1:20 PM

I got something that'll fix it...

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/51530334/Boli_Super_Glue.jpg

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 3:21 PM
KB. The exact cause? Who knows. I believe the gun fired out of battery.
Never shot lead in it or anything like that. As for the 502 super glue. I thought about it for a second. (a structural epoxy of course) but unless your idea of a good time is shooting a ruger LCR in .357mag I wouldn't recommend it.

ArmyMedicMoose
01-21-2012, 3:29 PM
Really 3 years ago I had a XD sent back and frame replaced. They where able to transfer the old serial # to a new frame.

Spring. does that because Springfield Armory doesn't manufacture HS Produkt does and Springfield is only the importer.

unashamedlaborer
01-21-2012, 4:18 PM
How is that different from glock. They are made in Austria and imported in Georgia. During the e series recall they ordered new frames with the same serial numbers from Austria. With a slight designation. But for the rest of us they just slap a new frame on I in Georgia.
I wish they would make the SN the same I'd gladly wait for it to come from Austria. That way I wouldn't have to change it on my ccw.