PDA

View Full Version : ? about legally owned mags...

lc102
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I have some x39 AK hi-cap mags (disclaimer these mags ARE legally owned from prior to the 2000 ban) that I am using in my featureless WASR. I have had a couple of ranges slightly displeased with me using them, even though I know that there is no legal repercussions. I also do worry about having them in the car when going to and from the range just on the off chance I get that special officer that does not fully understand the law.

My question is am I good and legal in blocking my mags to be 10/30, but then reassembling them back to their full capacity for the ranges that don't give me grief / desert shooting? Would that constitute "manufacturing" even though I have possessed them since prior to the ban? Sorry if this question has been asked before (i'm sure it has and I just havent seen it) but I just want to be sure I wont have any issues before I go and spend any money and or potentially lose out on my pre-bans. Thanks!

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't do either one of those. If you're that worried about it (although I think you needn't be), pick up some 10/30's.

Merc1138
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
What range is this that is complaining about your mags?

Also, if that range is really the only place to go, just only load 10 rounds there. Not like they'd know if the mags were blocked or not, and it's none of their business.

Chaos47
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
That's kinda weird, doesn't sound like a good idea.

My vote is to educate people, keep print outs of the flow chart and magazine law sections and hand them out.

If you are really worried about it then just get some 10 rounders...

TheThousands
01-20-2012, 10:48 PM
IMO don't butcher your pre-ban mags, their rare enough as it is. Just buy 2 or 3 10 rounders for the ranges that give you grief and use the pre-bans at the others.

Rekrab
01-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Just checking... You're not running those in a fixed magazine configuration right?

chead
01-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Name and shame whoever is giving you grief about your standard-cap mags.

Chaos47
01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Just checking... You're not running those in a fixed magazine configuration right?

Doesn't look like it:

that I am using in my featureless WASR.

But I suppose someone could read the law wrong (or be misinformed) and run a featureless build with a BB as well...

NYY
01-20-2012, 10:58 PM
honestly, do what you please as long as it IS legal. so far as you have stated, it is legal. If people give you grief, its up to THEM to get you in trouble with the law. and even still, if "caught" and you REALLY did own them prior 2000, its up to the officer to prove you wrong.. if its too annoying to deal with and your getting worried, just use simple ten rounders if you dont feel like dealing with un-informed people of the subject

lc102
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I won't go so far as to name the range that give me dirty looks, but it is an indoor range that I do only rarely frequent. To re-iterate the AK is FEATURELESS (no BB) so no issue there. I didn't figure that there would be an issue with doing a block that is removable as (so far as I read the law) the out come would not be me possessing any more standard-cap mags then when I started (the same thing that makes re-build kits legal). But I digress, I will just buy another 10 rounder to go with the one the gun was delivered with!

NYY
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
yea i see. and besides, even though x39 is pretty cheap these days, its just another reason to spend LESS time at the range by having larger capacity mags haha. that is, unless you like to shoot very large amounts per range going ;)

Cokebottle
01-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Lytle Creek is a bit of a problem for >10 mags.
Combination of the local rangers being a pain and the RO's wanting to make sure everything is on the clean side of the law.

Chaos47
01-20-2012, 11:15 PM
I won't go so far as to name the range that give me dirty looks, but it is an indoor range that I do only rarely frequent. To re-iterate the AK is FEATURELESS (no BB) so no issue there. I didn't figure that there would be an issue with doing a block that is removable as (so far as I read the law) the out come would not be me possessing any more standard-cap mags then when I started (the same thing that makes re-build kits legal). But I digress, I will just buy another 10 rounder to go with the one the gun was delivered with!

Honestly I'm surprised an indoor range is letting you shoot an AK or any rifle there at all. Most indoor ranges I haven seen around me don't. To not piss them off the easy thing to do is get a 10 round mag for when you go there and be done with it.

One part of the law is permanence, which is argued about a lot about what that actually means. Your easily removable block wouldn't have any but then again its really a regular capacity magazine to begin with so does permanence matter?

My litmus test that I ask my self is "Will an angry cop that is set in their way with preconceived notions going to listen to me?"
The answer for this situation would be a lot of explaining and well wait what about this going on.

NYY
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Honestly I'm surprised an indoor range is letting you shoot an AK or any rifle there at all. Most indoor ranges I haven seen around me don't. To not piss them off the easy thing to do is get a 10 round mag for when you go there and be done with it.

One part of the law is permanence, which is argued about a lot about what that actually means. Your easily removable block wouldn't have any but then again its really a regular capacity magazine to begin with so does permanence matter?

My litmus test that I ask my self is "Will an angry cop that is set in their way with preconceived notions going to listen to me?"
The answer for this situation would be a lot of explaining and well wait what about this going on.

but even still, if this guys mags are legal for him, he still will be fine in the end..right?

Chaos47
01-20-2012, 11:40 PM
but even still, if this guys mags are legal for him, he still will be fine in the end..right?

Yes. Usually. But there have been people arrested for reg caps even though there is no law against possession.

There was some news article about a guy that was arrested for possession last month.

Night or weekend in jail doesn't sound fun to me...

That's why my earlier answer I said to make sure to have magazine law codes and flow charts printed out

Found it:
http://co.humboldt.ca.us/sheriff/pressreleases/default.asp?title=Press+Releases&url=pressReleaseDetail.asp&ID=749

Jeperson Mykam (24 of Eureka) was determined to be the person in possession of the high capacity magazines for the firearms and was arrested for violation of possession of those magazines.

Thread talking about it:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=518892

NYY
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
yea i see. so you can still be detained until they figure out this guy is actually innocent...

Bobby Ricigliano
01-21-2012, 1:17 AM
I'd carry a copy of the law printed out from a reliable source.

Regarding that arrest in the link, the felon and Misd DV guy were definitely arrestable. However, since there is no law that forbids POSSESSION of standard cap mags, what in the hell did the officer write on the booking slip and report for arrest charge?

chim-chim7
01-21-2012, 3:04 AM
On 12-07-2011 at about 4:00 PM, deputies observed seven (7) males gathered around two vehicles, firing various weapons. The subjects were contacted and multiple firearms were located on the tailgate and interior of one of the vehicles. Located was a Stag Arms M-16 (5.56mm) rifle, Springfield Arms XD 40 cal. Smith and Wesson semi-auto pistol, high capacity 30 round magazine for a 40 cal. Smith and Wesson, Taurus 38 cal. Super semi-automatic pistol, Ruger P89 9mm pistol with high capacity magazine, Glock model 17 9mm pistol, Glock model 23 40 caliber with high capacity magazine, Glock model 30 45 caliber pistol, Bersa 380 caliber semi automatic pistol, JP Sauer and Son 32 caliber pistol, high capacity magazine for an M-16 rifle.

Interesting, never seen a 30 round .40 Smith and Wesson magazine. A Stag Arms M-16, was it this one? http://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-627-echo-1-stag-arms-m16-a4-aeg-airsoft-gun.aspx

Chaos47
01-21-2012, 3:11 AM
Yea the facts are a little off but what do you expect from the media when it comes to guns

peter95
01-21-2012, 3:17 AM
Just buy some 10 rounders for the range. That's what I did. I alternate between both and only had once incident when someone tried telling me off and I explained to them. They were an clueless but they got educated.
Best way is educate those that dont know and try not getting too much attention. I understand what you mean though. Many cops can give you grief for no reason, but at the range shouldn't be like that at all.

Which range was this?

RAAK_FJ
01-21-2012, 8:02 AM
Librarian here on Calguns has posted some great information. Here are a couple of links.

Magazines: all the answers you need
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Large-capacity magazines in California
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

Chaos47
01-21-2012, 8:06 AM
Librarian here on Calguns has posted some great information. Here are a couple of links.

Magazines: all the answers you need
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Large-capacity magazines in California
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

Uh, great links but have nothing to do with the odd situation that the OP is thinking about doing except that they tell him he can legally use them (which he knows and we have all told him)...

FTW9999
01-21-2012, 8:29 AM
Your are not manufacturing any high capicity mags as long as you don't end up with more high cap mags then were in your possesion when the ban took effect back in 2000. Altough I think it would just be a lot easier to get a couple 10 round mags rather try and mod your preban mags.

RAAK_FJ
01-21-2012, 8:34 AM
Uh, great links but have nothing to do with the odd situation that the OP is thinking about doing except that they tell him he can legally use them (which he knows and we have all told him)...

I would beg to differ... Librarian has answered many questions similar to this in these links.

Nor Cal Guy
01-21-2012, 8:46 AM
ok guys ive got a question for ya.

I want to order the .50 beowulf some time in the future, and with a CA 10 round mag it only hold 4 rounds, on a 20 rounder 7, and a 30 rounder it holds 10 rounds.

Is it legal then for me to have / use a 30 round .223/5.56 if its only for shooting .50 beowulf and there for only a 10 round mag in reality?

edit: link to .50 beowulf threads / mag
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120200&highlight=beowulf+magazine

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=92480

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78765

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 10:51 AM
My understanding is that capping your pre-ban normal capacity magazines permanently is fine. BUT later when you uncap it you are manufacturing a normal capacity magazine. ILLEGAL.

For this reason you should just buy 10 round mags for the range and leave your pre-ban normal mags alone.