PDA

View Full Version : NY Playing the Ammo Game

aileron
03-20-2007, 6:19 AM
*sigh*

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192007/news/regionalnews/guns_arent_enough___pols_want_bullet_control_regio nalnews_dan_kadison.htm

GUNS AREN'T ENOUGH - POLS WANT BULLET CONTROL
By DAN KADISON
PrintEmailDigg ItStory Bottom

March 19, 2007 -- Getting guns off the street is not enough to stop violent crime, a group of lawmakers said yesterday.

You have to stop the bullets, too.

"For far too long we have ignored the relationship between bullets and gun crimes," state Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn), a former NYPD captain, said as he held a hollow-point slug. "We can no longer allow this item, this bullet, to be that silent partner."

Adams said he was introducing legislation that would mandate the tracking of ammunition and force buyers to register the bullets they purchase.

Adams was joined by state Sens. Malcolm Smith and Eric Schneiderman outside De Marco's restaurant in Greenwich Village, where a crazed gunman shot and killed a bartender last week before chasing down two auxiliary cops and murdering them in cold blood on the street.

The killer, David Garvin, 42, was shot to death moments later by police. He was carrying a bag with nearly 100 rounds of ammunition. Cops later seized another 100 rounds in his apartment.

One bill would permit the sale of bullets only to individuals who hold legal gun licenses that specify the type of ammunition being purchased. A second bill would require manufacturers to brand bullets sold in New York with a traceable code to help police track them during criminal probes.

"If David Garvin did not have - as we believe he did not have - a permit for the gun he was carrying, he shouldn't be allowed to buy bullets," Schneiderman said.

dan.kadison@nypost.com

tgriffin
03-20-2007, 7:19 AM
(*^@#ing $(*^@%(er )*^$ers I hate those &(%^ of *&!%#e$ they can *%& $! *)&%!. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr

chiefcrash
03-20-2007, 7:39 AM
yes, and i'm sure the fact that you don't have to be a resident of a state to buy ammo won't play into this....

because, after all, it's not like anyone would drive to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut to buy unregistered ammo....

anonymous
03-20-2007, 8:50 AM
So are gun licenses only required for NYC residents, or all NY residents?

I guess these politicians haven't heard of reloading, or they would ban lead and powder too...

Of course, intelligent people can still make black powder and machine a gun in their basement. Perhaps we should just install Orwellian cameras in every household. I'm sure most Americans would prefer slavery & safety to freedom.

It seems to me it would be a lot harder to produce cartridges than to machine a gun at home with your mill and lathe. You need to know chemistry, be able to melt metal, form molten metal to very high precision, produce powder, primers, acquire brass alloys. Most of which is probably dangerous and difficult.

In truth, banning ammo and reloading supplies would be a lot more devastating than banning guns.

bwiese
03-20-2007, 9:05 AM
This crap is coming here - you're seeing some of it already.

We're hearing from the Brady types (and seeing it echoed in Sacto) that they want 'ammo control' to be the 'assault weapons' cause celebre issue of the decade.

Batten down your hatches, it's gonna be a fight.

As individuals you can perhaps negate some of this by stockpiling large amounts of ammo - that can be a talking point, "there's already so much ammo out there it'll never get tracked". You can also buy a Dillon 650 and a lotta brass :)

I suspect Mike Dillon will be glad to help plenty of components (brass, bullets, etc.) come into CA :)

Anthonysmanifesto
03-20-2007, 9:24 AM
This crap is coming here - you're seeing some of it already.

We're hearing from the Brady types (and seeing it echoed in Sacto) that they want 'ammo control' to be the 'assault weapons' cause celebre issue of the decade.

Batten down your hatches, it's gonna be a fight.

As individuals you can perhaps negate some of this by stockpiling large amounts of ammo - that can be a talking point, "there's already so much ammo out there it'll never get tracked". You can also buy a Dillon 650 and a lotta brass :)

I suspect Mike Dillon will be glad to help plenty of components (brass, bullets, etc.) come into CA :)

Ammo is the next big thing
my opinion this is where they take aim

ibbryn
03-20-2007, 11:31 AM
We all agree that marking the ammo with serial numbers as suggested in this story is a stupid, unworkable idea.

But those little radio transmitters are getting smaller and smaller. What if a small transmitter (RFID) was embedded in each bullet? It could use GPS to constantly send it's position to a receiver. Then we could moniter it's location from the time of manufacture on. We'd instantly know if any ammo was entering into a prohibited place like a school zone or post office. We could cross reference the ammo's location with a list of felon's addresses to know if any ammo was in their homes.

Using this system someone could have tracked the ammo to the NY killers apt, known it was prohibited there, seen it move to the restaruant and known it was prohibited there (cuz the resturante had a NO GUNS sign on its door).

There would have been many opportuntities to save people's lives.

I'm gonna mention this idea to my Congresscritter. I think she'll like it.

rips31
03-20-2007, 1:13 PM
lol...the guy had 2 boxes (or 1 value pack) of ammo on him and 2 more boxes at home? geez...i take more than that to the range at any given time.

seriously...time to start stocking up at gun shows.

AJAX22
03-20-2007, 1:20 PM
So a guy who managed to get a gun that was already illigal used legal bullets to comit a crime?

I'm sure he wouldn't have run as fast if they'd restricted the sales of his sneakers, or regulated the bag he carried the ammo in.

Sometimes I wonder how people can be that idiotic.

anonymous
03-20-2007, 3:17 PM
We all agree that marking the ammo with serial numbers as suggested in this story is a stupid, unworkable idea.

But those little radio transmitters are getting smaller and smaller. What if a small transmitter (RFID) was embedded in each bullet? It could use GPS to constantly send it's position to a receiver. Then we could moniter it's location from the time of manufacture on. We'd instantly know if any ammo was entering into a prohibited place like a school zone or post office. We could cross reference the ammo's location with a list of felon's addresses to know if any ammo was in their homes.

Using this system someone could have tracked the ammo to the NY killers apt, known it was prohibited there, seen it move to the restaruant and known it was prohibited there (cuz the resturante had a NO GUNS sign on its door).

There would have been many opportuntities to save people's lives.

I'm gonna mention this idea to my Congresscritter. I think she'll like it.

Better yet, we should just require all US citizens to wear GPS tracking bracelets like sex offenders. That would REALLY cut down on crime!

adamsreeftank
03-20-2007, 3:57 PM
For far too long we have ignored the relationship between bullets and gun crimes

How about the relationship between criminals and gun crime.
If you got rid of them, not only would you stop gun crime, you'd stop all crime. What a wonderful happy place that would be.

triggerhappy
03-20-2007, 3:59 PM
It would be better to ban victims of crime. No more whining, no more lawyers, no more cause celebre'.