PDA

View Full Version : How many AR15 in combination with Handguns can be purchased per month?

AParsh135i
01-19-2012, 9:48 AM
I've been looking for the answer to this question but have not found it.
I am planning on buying a handgun on Saturday, so that means i cant buy another handgun for 30 days.
I also want to buy an AR15 - does the AR15 and the handgun purchases have any conflicts with each other? Can i buy as many AR15s as i want in any time period i want and have nothing to do with my handgun purchases?
Thanks.
Alex

Swiftyjuan
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Rifle purchases have no impact on handgun purchases, and vice-versa. You can only buy a new handgun every 30 days, but as many used ones as you want. Bulk rifle purchases will attract A LOT of attention!

AParsh135i
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Wow i guess i misunderstood what i read. I thought that you can only buy a handgun every 30 days, whether its new or used. Good info on the rifles though.

Librarian
01-19-2012, 1:55 PM
Wow i guess i misunderstood what i read. I thought that you can only buy a handgun every 30 days, whether its new or used. Good info on the rifles though.

There's a bit of a terminology problem here.

The distinction is not whether a gun might be 'new' or 'used', the distinction is 'from whom you are buying'.

If you go into LGS and buy a handgun from the FFL, you are restricted to one purchase like that every 30 days.

If you go there with your friend Librarian and buy his gun, you still must use the FFL, but the 1-in-30 law does not apply (except in Los Angeles). You can go back the next day with your friend Mechanic and buy a handgun from him, and the next day with another friend, until you run out of money. Those sales are generally called 'Private Party Transfers'.

kaligaran
01-19-2012, 3:21 PM
Good clarification Librarian.

So that said, is this still a handgun onlypolicy? Does rifles/shotguns/etc count to the 1 in 30 policy the same as handguns (ie you can't buy 2 rifles in a 30 day period but you can buy one handgun AND one rifle withinin 30 days)?

Not that I am going to run out and buy more guns... but it's good to have clarification on ths for sure. :)

Librarian
01-19-2012, 3:57 PM
Yes, still handgun-only. PC 27535 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/27535.html) (a) No person shall make an application to purchase more
than one handgun within any 30-day period.
where 'application to purchase' means 'submit DROS' per PC 16190.

kaligaran
01-19-2012, 4:47 PM
Thanks!