PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal, legal to fire?

dasARguy
03-19-2007, 2:01 PM
can anyone help me with a 50 cal question, please... Are 50 cals (50 BMG)illegal across the board regardless of weapon make or type, to shoot at gun ranges? If you have a 50 cal (legally purchased several years ago) can you still legally shoot it? Any help will be appreciated!

69Mach1
03-19-2007, 2:03 PM
Yes, 50 BMG rifles that were legally registered as an AW are legal to own and shoot. No ban on ammo either.

Hunter
03-19-2007, 2:04 PM
can anyone help me with a 50 cal question, please... Are 50 cals (50 BMG)illegal across the board regardless of weapon make or type, to shoot at gun ranges? If you have a 50 cal (legally purchased several years ago) can you still legally shoot it? Any help will be appreciated!

It all depends on the particular range. Some allow .50bmgs others do not. But most all allow .50 cal guns (not BMG) if they allow large centerfire rifles in general.

For where you can take the gun and shoot it, that is covered here:

A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.

Guns R Tools
03-19-2007, 2:07 PM
If you didn't register 50BMG rifle with CA DOJ then you are in serious trouble.
However if you registered the 50BMG with CA DOJ then you can use/shoot like any other weapon. You can buy ammo anytime.

If you have registered lower then you can mount 50BMG upper on that lower and be legal.

This only applies to 50BMG.

adamsreeftank
03-19-2007, 2:10 PM
If your gun is a legally registered 50 bmg, then check with your local shooting range whether they allow the bmgs. In the Bay Area, one range I go to allows them and one does not.

Funny thing is the one that allows them does NOT allow steel cored surplus ammo because of fire concerns. The one that does NOT allow the bmg DOES allow steel cored surplus because they back up to wetlands and dont' worry about fire.

Hunter
03-19-2007, 2:12 PM
Yes, 50 BMG rifles that were legally registered as an AW are legal to own and shoot. No ban on ammo either.

".50bmg Rifles" that have been registered as such, CANNOT be an AW...two different classes of weapons.

jerryb78
03-19-2007, 2:16 PM
If you didn't register 50BMG rifle with CA DOJ then you are in serious trouble.
However if you registered the 50BMG with CA DOJ then you can use/shoot like any other weapon. You can buy ammo anytime.

If you have registered lower then you can mount 50BMG upper on that lower and be legal.

This only applies to 50BMG.

let me get this stright. i have a registered ar-15 lower (the one that i build) and i can buy 50 bmg upper from out of state dealer or mfg. put it together and go shooting and be comply with the law? this is what i understood. correct me if i'm wrong. been looking for alternative, if this work and legal, then i might get one. (just for the hell of it)

does my receiver have to be stamp multi caliber or it does not matter ?

Hunter
03-19-2007, 2:22 PM
let me get this stright. i have a registered ar-15 lower (the one that i build) and i can buy 50 bmg upper from out of state dealer or mfg. put it together and go shooting and be comply with the law? this is what i understood. correct me if i'm wrong. been looking for alternative, if this work and legal, then i might get one. (just for the hell of it)

does my receiver have to be stamp multi caliber or it does not matter ?

1) If you have an AW registered AR-15 lower that was done under SB23 or 1989 R&R AW regs, then yes you can swap out the upper for a .50bmg without any concern.

2) If you have a non AW lower that was registered as a ".50 bmg Rifle", then you can add on the .50 bmg upper now. It cannot be put into an AW configuration if someone came out with a semi-auto .50 bmg mag fed upper for it.

3) If you have an OLL, that fit neither of these situations above, then you cannot add a .50 bmg upper to it.

Budd
03-19-2007, 3:11 PM
But when a company sells the .50 DTC upper - we are all good for awhile. Single shot configuration though.

Hunter
03-19-2007, 4:59 PM
But when a company sells the .50 DTC upper - we are all good for awhile. Single shot configuration though.

The .510 upper is already available from a couple different sources, Spider Firearms and Safety Harbor Firearms are two that come to mind.

Budd
03-19-2007, 5:31 PM
The .510 upper is already available from a couple different sources, Spider Firearms and Safety Harbor Firearms are two that come to mind.

Got a link - price?:)

Edit: I looked at both websites - just don't see the .50 DTC upper.

mltrading
03-19-2007, 5:48 PM

You did not state your situation clearly. There are different possibilities.

Assume you had acquired a 50 Cal (50BMG, I assume) legally priority to the 50BMG ban.

1) If you did register your 50BMG by the deadline (April 2006, IIRC) and get the paperwork from DOJ, you're good to (continue to) possess and shoot.

2) If you did NOT register your 50BMG and still possess it, you are in trouble.

And it depends on the rules of each range to allow shooting of 50BMG.:)

mltrading
03-19-2007, 5:49 PM

Serbu, Spider firearms, EDM.......etc.

Budd
03-19-2007, 5:58 PM
Serbu, Spider firearms, EDM.......etc.

When I spoke to EDM - they do not sell stand alone uppers. Complete rifles are now $7500.:(

Hunter
03-19-2007, 8:22 PM

Budd,
Both companies will sell any of the uppers you see on their websites as .510 DTC.

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html

http://ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html

brighamr
03-19-2007, 8:52 PM
Considering the prices and that the website says 'dealer pricing available', when are we going to have a group buy on the "CAL .510DTC" lower??? I'm down!

Hunter
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Considering the prices and that the website says 'dealer pricing available', when are we going to have a group buy on the "CAL .510DTC" lower??? I'm down!

You mean "upper" don't you? The lower is whatever one you wanted to use of your OLLs. But one can indeed buy a lower or complete rifle from either Safety Harbor or Ferret. But then I would also look at the Serbus, Vipers, ect.. if you are looking at buying a complete .510 rifle and not just an upper.

If we are only talking barreled uppers here, and not complete rifles, the discounts are not much. The most we have found in the last few GB was $100-$125 discount. Not a lot, but still something.

shooterx10
03-19-2007, 10:44 PM
There's also the .50ALS by Advanced Long Range Systems (ALS). Their website is www.50bmg.net. They are primarily a .50bmg upper maker, but they also make the .50ALS chambering by special order. It uses the same brass as the .50BMG, but the shoulder angle is set more acute, so the round is shorter in length than your standard .50BMG.

The .50 ban bans .50bmg RIFLES, meaning fired from the shoulder. Try this conversion: http://knsprecisioninc.com/AR-15%20M-16%20Spade%20Grip.htm

:D

This has been talked about many many times before. :p

Budd
03-20-2007, 8:56 AM
Safety Harbor Firearms seem to be the ones most reasonable for a Cali lower. Maybe they will change the engraving like EDM Arms did to .50 DTC instead of .510 DTC so the LE don't get confused. Wouldn't want them confiscating the gun because they think it is over .50 cal.