03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I am new in AK and would like to know:
Differences between single & double hook trigger
Can I use single stack magazine on Century Arms GP WASR-10 from
DD's Ranch?
Thank you,

Lateralus
03-19-2007, 1:22 PM
the difference is just how it sounds....
with a single hook trigger, there is one hook the retains the hammer in the cocked position. With a double hook, there are 2. NOTE: alot of receivers (NDS-3 included) only have the cutouts for one hook. You will need to do a quick dremel job to fix it:)

I dont know about the single stack, imma check it out right now. i havent used single stack ak mags. ever. im sure someone will spread more light on the topic:)

wilit
03-19-2007, 4:34 PM
Single stack mags won't work in a receiver made for double stacks. They're too narrow, plus the feed lips are too narrow for a standard bolt.

ATS76
03-19-2007, 8:13 PM
I believe all parts kits in the market are for double stack mag. Thank you for all your help.

xrMike
03-20-2007, 11:45 AM
NOTE: alot of receivers (NDS-3 included) only have the cutouts for one hook. You will need to do a quick dremel job to fix it:)I have a question about cutting out the notch for the 2nd hook...

I also have an NDS-3 with Tapco G2 double-hook trigger, so I need to cut out that 2nd slot in the receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/AK_2nd_hook_cut.png

In the above image, the black area represents the existing hole in the bottom of the receiver. The lines on the left side represent the 2nd notch that must be cut out.

How can you cut out that shape using just a Dremel? Sure, you can cut those straight lines with a cut-off wheel, but how are you going to cut that half-circle/radius at the top? You can't do that with a cut-off wheel...

Reason I'm asking is: I tried to use a drill bit to drill a hole that matches the circle part of the pic above, figuring it would be easy to dremel the straight lines after that, and I would end up with a 2nd slot that perfectly matched the first one.

But I'm on my 2nd drill bit and still can't get through that damn metal. That stuff is hard! Is there a better way to cut that radius out using a dremel? What kind of cutter head is required?

Diablo
03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
They sell special bits for that. It looks like a regular bit but with criss cross cuts all around.

xrMike
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
They sell special bits for that. It looks like a regular bit but with criss cross cuts all around.Cool! Think I've seen what you're talking about, just didn't know what they were for... So those work the same way a drill bit works?

grammaton76
03-20-2007, 3:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/AK_2nd_hook_cut.png

How can you cut out that shape using just a Dremel? Sure, you can cut those straight lines with a cut-off wheel, but how are you going to cut that half-circle/radius at the top? You can't do that with a cut-off wheel...

Speaking as a guy who DID cut one with a cutoff wheel on a roto-zip (slightly larger and more ungainly than a Dremel), I will tell you that the half-circle at the end is completely unnecessary. Don't sweat it. Even if you did want to have one, you CAN approximate that shape if you cut carefully.

Anyway, I cut mine, and the resultant rifle has the least overtravel of any AK I've built. You don't cut the channel to the SAME length, you just expand the channel bit by bit until you reach the point where the hammer trips reliably. That's the whole reason for doing the two-hook trigger on a single-cut receiver, by the way.

By the way, if you really don't like doing the second channel, you can just cut the extra hook off of the double hook trigger. But make sure you get the right hook!

Lateralus
03-20-2007, 8:31 PM
LOL its an AK lol. if mud wont hurt it, not having a perfect semicircle cutout doesnt stand a chance lol

i found this extremely funny:D

i had the same thing and i didnt think twice when i dremeled into my nds-3. its got a square end and shoots just as well:D

xrMike
03-20-2007, 8:44 PM
i found this extremely funny:DGlad I could bring a little joy your way :D -- I've always had a bit of an obsessive-compulsive streak that causes me to overdo things sometimes...

Thanks for the advice Gram and Diablo.