PDA

View Full Version : No dice at Cow Mountain...

battlehatch
03-18-2007, 7:05 PM
Well my roommate and I cruised up to Cow Mountain today. Sighted in at the rifle range with my new 22-250, what a round that is! My roommate has a 204 ruger and we were both vaporizing clays at 300yds. Anyway, after we sighted in we drove to different sites and scouted out the area. Nothing, nada, zip, zero... not even birds. All we saw was a lizard and a couple vultures. We walked for what seemed like forever through the nastiest brush. I didn't even see any sign of life the whole time, no tracks, no scat, no nothing. On the bright side, it was a beatiful day, we had a great walk, I got alot of exercise and I got to sight in my rifle. I think we are going to scout out Mendo Natl. Forest in the weeks to come. Cow Mountain was just really tough to hunt, and tough to manuever. Manzanita's suck. I'm not asking anyone to give up their spots, but anyone have a bone they could throw me for hunting in Sonoma/Lake/Mendo county? Looking for varmints, pigs, whatever...

moulton
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Well my roommate and I cruised up to Cow Mountain today. Sighted in at the rifle range with my new 22-250, what a round that is! My roommate has a 204 ruger and we were both vaporizing clays at 300yds. Anyway, after we sighted in we drove to different sites and scouted out the area. Nothing, nada, zip, zero... not even birds. All we saw was a lizard and a couple vultures. We walked for what seemed like forever through the nastiest brush. I didn't even see any sign of life the whole time, no tracks, no scat, no nothing. On the bright side, it was a beatiful day, we had a great walk, I got alot of exercise and I got to sight in my rifle. I think we are going to scout out Mendo Natl. Forest in the weeks to come. Cow Mountain was just really tough to hunt, and tough to manuever. Manzanita's suck. I'm not asking anyone to give up their spots, but anyone have a bone they could throw me for hunting in Sonoma/Lake/Mendo county? Looking for varmints, pigs, whatever...

I was hoping to go up there for opening day of turkey season :( . how are the roads? passable with 4wd?

battlehatch
03-19-2007, 1:06 PM
Roads are passable with a Chevy S10 2WD 4 cyl. You can make it easy if you have 4wd. I am not a very experienced hunter so I assume that had ALOT to do with it, but I met up with two other hunters who scouted the north and northwest ends and found nothing. We hiked the east side above lake Mendo and saw nothing, then we went to the southwest end and found... NOTHING. I saw three vultures flying past the area headed north, a gecko, and one bluebird. Kinda disappointing but I try to look at the positive. My backpack setup worked well, I can hike for a long time without eating anything, I am not allergic to poison oak, and I can carry a varmint barreled rifle for a long long time before it starts getting heavy. I plan on getting a new sling since the one I have really sucks, better insoles for the boots, and better binos, and I will definately bring food.

moulton
03-19-2007, 1:09 PM
this will be my second turkey season and hopefully my first bird :o . last year the dirt road looked like it was going to become a mudslide so I decided not to go to cow mountain. I drove over to some blm land in lake county and no dice there either.....I may have had a chance if it had stoped hailing

battlehatch
03-19-2007, 1:28 PM
I drove all over cow mountain this last winter even when it was muddy and nasty with my little pickup truck. I dunno, alot of people I talked to out there gave me a funny look when they ask what vehicle I'm in and I point to my little truck, but it goes everywhere I drive it. My roommate and I are going to hunt Potter Valley and Mendo Natl. Forest next. I also thought about hunting the west side of Lake Berryessa, there's some BLM land there, too. Good luck with your turkey hunt.

mark3lb
03-19-2007, 3:21 PM
Where is cow mountain located?

battlehatch
03-19-2007, 3:54 PM
Ukiah, it's really easy to get to.

westcoastr
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
i hiked the trail from the mayacmas campground area to the willow creek trailhead (near the shooting range) it was about 5 miles. and made a buch of side trips into the brush and canyons. Nothing! in fact, i dont think that trail has seen people in months, very overgrown and no human foot prints. saw a few faint tracks at the near the mayacmas side on the trail but small and poorly formed/old - were pig or deer not sure as quality was poor. didn't see any side trails of were the tracks came from or went to.

there was a boned-out pig carcass in the willow creek parking lot - unacceptable hunter behaviour! locals said people shoot them in surrounding private land and dump carcasses there - not sure if i believe 'em but i didnt see any tracks in that area.

locals run their dogs on som etrails and road and surely have scared most pig away.

regardless was a good day out away from job and people. saw lots of snakes and lizards (HUGE) a skunk, birds, hawks, swiming salamander things AND NOT ONE PERSON ON THE TRAIL! plus a hottie on the road ( I hiked the road back to my car) gave me her phone #.

i was thinking that the south cow mountain might be better as closer to water and crops but lots of 4wheelers there so not sure.

High recommend you wear orange clothing - there were gun nuts firing randomly into the hills and canyons even after i told them that there are hunters in there.

headed down to central cal on may 19-20 to try my luck there

btw: the road is is great shape, no 4wd req.

westcoastr
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
i hiked the trail from the mayacmas campground area to the willow creek trailhead (near the shooting range) it was about 5 miles. and made a buch of side trips into the brush and canyons. Nothing! in fact, i dont think that trail has seen people in months, very overgrown and no human foot prints. saw a few faint tracks at the near the mayacmas side on the trail but small and poorly formed/old - were pig or deer not sure as quality was poor. didn't see any side trails of were the tracks came from or went to.

there was a boned-out pig carcass in the willow creek parking lot - unacceptable hunter behaviour! locals said people shoot them in surrounding private land and dump carcasses there - not sure if i believe 'em but i didnt see any tracks in that area.

locals run their dogs on som etrails and road and surely have scared most pig away.

regardless was a good day out away from job and people. saw lots of snakes and lizards (HUGE) a skunk, birds, hawks, swiming salamander things AND NOT ONE PERSON ON THE TRAIL! plus a hottie on the road ( I hiked the road back to my car) gave me her phone #.

i was thinking that the south cow mountain might be better as closer to water and crops but lots of 4wheelers there so not sure.

High recommend you wear orange clothing - there were gun nuts firing randomly into the hills and canyons even after i told them that there are hunters in there.

headed down to central cal on may 19-20 to try my luck there

btw: the road is is great shape, no 4wd req.

westcoastr

new cal shooter
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
So did she call you?

westcoastr
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
So did she call you?

i already got my trophy...wife